The improbability of Iowa's comeback last night

storminspank

Justin VanLaere
BBTwbLwCEAATphD.jpg:large

With 12 minutes to go, Iowa's chances of coming back to beat OSU were nearly 0%.
Shows just how improbable the actual comeback was.

Is this an attempt at humor?

No, but getting back to within 4 pts (a missed FT away from 3 pts) with a lot of time left was pretty improbable. On the road, down 23 with 12 min to go. The graph is showing just how impossible it would have been for Iowa to do it. And they almost did.

No, but getting back to within 4 pts (a missed FT away from 3 pts) with a lot of time left was pretty improbable. On the road, down 23 with 12 min to go. The graph is showing just how impossible it would have been for Iowa to do it. And they almost did.

I guess I don't understand how you "graph" such a situation. Anyways, graphs, numbers, etc don't always tell the entire picture. There was some serious, serious effort and heart displayed last night, and that is extremely encouraging especially given the hostile environment we were in.

Would have been cool to have that big of a comeback on the road the first game back after the 20th anniversary of Street's death. If only it was Michigan State.

I guess I don't understand how you "graph" such a situation. Anyways, graphs, numbers, etc don't always tell the entire picture. There was some serious, serious effort and heart displayed last night, and that is extremely encouraging especially given the hostile environment we were in.

Stats are for NERDS!!

Would have been cool to have that big of a comeback on the road the first game back after the 20th anniversary of Street's death. If only it was Michigan State.

If only they would have been allowed to wear Street on the back of their jerseys, then I'm pretty sure Iowa would have pulled it off. You can blame this loss on the NCAA.

If only they would have been allowed to wear Street on the back of their jerseys, then I'm pretty sure Iowa would have pulled it off. You can blame this loss on the NCAA.

At least we would have had more calls go our way. You'd have to be a real d!ck to call a foul on someone wearing a Street jersey.

Just to bad they could not finish it off at the end. It would have been the story of the night and everyone would still have been talking about it.

Yes, and besides being encouraging, I hope it lends to some more poise out of the team when they hit the hardwood at Purdue. There are no such things as moral victories, but I think the team's aggregate frame of mind and confidence might be better suited for an actual W on Sunday than if they had folded and lost by 38.

Actually, in a way I would kind of take issue with the idea that testing back close to a team you fell behind by that far was improbable. I don't think anyone makes odds on the chances of almost making a horrible deficit. Into a win. A lot of teams comeback from large deficits and make runs to get close and then can't. Actually get over the hump.

i am not trying to denigrate Iowa's effort here. I am just saying that it really isn't worthy to talk about how improbable it was to come back from a huge deficit to almost tie it up. They track wins in sports, not comebacks where teams don't even tie it up.

I love stats but I have to say that I fail to see the point of this. Iowa lost as the percentages on said graph said they would. I have a hard time taking much interest in that.

I think our comeback had more to do with the fact that teams just don't shoot 25% and it's not like shooting over 50% (as OSU did all game) is that easy to do (though It's more common than shooting as poorly as Iowa did). We we're going to make shots at some point and I expected some kind of a run, which is why the last 1:30 of the first half was so frustrating.

Hold that to a 5 point deficit, as it was at the time, and I really believe we win that game.

The most interesting stat to me is all Iowa would have had to do was make 40% of their shots and 65% of their free throws and they would have beaten Ohio State on the road. This is with Ohio State making 52% of their field goals and 74% of their free throws.

Latest posts