The Hopefully Not Garza’s Last Home Game Thread

As bad as this loss feels, we have to remember that every B1G team has lost a conference home game. Michigan St, Penn St., Illinois, and Maryland players and fans didn't feel any better when they lost at home. They just have to move forward and try to play better.... and hope they don't have to play Purdue again.

Overall, I like Fran, but his entire 10 year career here is marked with way too many WTF games that just make no sense. This year it was DePaul, Nebraska, and the 2 Purdue games. Just no reason whatsoever to perform that poorly.

Overall, I like Fran, but his entire 10 year career here is marked with way too many WTF games that just make no sense. This year it was DePaul, Nebraska, and the 2 Purdue games. Just no reason whatsoever to perform that poorly.
The longer I watch his Hawkeye teams, the more I think it’s recruiting screwing the pooch and keeping them from being able to turn that last corner to be in the upper third of the Big Ten.

Maybe he just has the deck stacked too hard against him, but he can’t put together a roster of guys built for the long ass B1G schedule. I said it earlier this season several times that this team was going to be in big trouble down the stretch when injuries set in and players start to feel the wear and tear of the conference season set in. They’re just not physical enough and they get beat to shit. This roster simply can’t handle the high mileage like an MSU or others can.

Fran needs to get guys who spend time in the weight room, not shooting for hours by themselves in Carver. Draining 20 uncontested threes in a row doesn’t mean shit when you get knocked to the floor constantly and pushed around all game.

Might as well start the excuse train rolling for tomorrow:

1. The refs have a blatant conspiracy against Iowa. Obviously, they were physically keeping our guys from getting into position to block out for the rebounds. It also looked like they were allowing Purdue to play 6 at a time, or maybe it just seemed like that... Nah, it definitely was the refs.

2. Fatigue. Our players travel more and play more minutes than any team in the world. We only play 9 players. That's asking too much of 19 year-olds.

3. Injuries. A healthy Nunge obviously would have been 1st team All B1G. He was tearing it up in the preseason. In an amazing irony, no other team in the B!G has any injuries.

4. Garza's a ball-hog.

5. Coronavirus.

5. AIRBHG. Decided he needed a different gig and wanted to meet the basketball team's cute water girl.

GKPv0uc.jpg

@Motigerhawk I'm a man of my word.

As for the game, that was frustrating as hell, and I do understand those who get worked up over it. But it's not like we're the only good team that Purdye has waxed this season, and we fought to the bitter end this time around. That's what gives me hope.

The rebounding may suck at times, and the defense is hit and miss (the "wide open corner 3" is still a staple of our D though), but the only other Fran team I've seen with this amount of toughness and soul to fight and scratch and claw the way they do was Aaron White's senior year. Most of his other teams would give up with the injuries or losses they've faced, but these guys persevere.

The longer I watch his Hawkeye teams, the more I think it’s recruiting screwing the pooch and keeping them from being able to turn that last corner to be in the upper third of the Big Ten.

Maybe he just has the deck stacked too hard against him, but he can’t put together a roster of guys built for the long ass B1G schedule. I said it earlier this season several times that this team was going to be in big trouble down the stretch when injuries set in and players start to feel the wear and tear of the conference season set in. They’re just not physical enough and they get beat to shit. This roster simply can’t handle the high mileage like an MSU or others can.

Fran needs to get guys who spend time in the weight room, not shooting for hours by themselves in Carver. Draining 20 uncontested threes in a row doesn’t mean shit when you get knocked to the floor constantly and pushed around all game.
Riley till has been in the program 3 or 4 years and he doesn’t look like he could curl 35 pounds . Do they not take weight lifting seriously?

Riley till has been in the program 3 or 4 years and he doesn’t look like he could curl 35 pounds . Do they not take weight lifting seriously?
Not seriously enough, and there could be a correlation between that and being worn out at the end of the season.

Remember the comparison photos between the Iowa plyers shirtless and the Wisconsin players? There was no comparison.

GKPv0uc.jpg

@Motigerhawk I'm a man of my word.

As for the game, that was frustrating as hell, and I do understand those who get worked up over it. But it's not like we're the only good team that Purdye has waxed this season, and we fought to the bitter end this time around. That's what gives me hope.

The rebounding may suck at times, and the defense is hit and miss (the "wide open corner 3" is still a staple of our D though), but the only other Fran team I've seen with this amount of toughness and soul to fight and scratch and claw the way they do was Aaron White's senior year. Most of his other teams would give up with the injuries or losses they've faced, but these guys persevere.
I’m an 8% battery kind of guy too.

Sucks, doesn’t it?

Iowa is having a nice season despite last nights loss. It was incredibly disappointing to lose last night but this seasons been fun. I expect more fun. We are gonna dance - despite everyone moving the target all season, some fans try and stay even-keeled about things. With 9 games to go in the year, I picked them to go 4-5. I didn't see the MN win, I didn't see the PU loss, but I also was realistic about what our chances were down the stretch. This is a tough league. Our team is short handed, yet this feels like one of the more gratifying seasons as an Iowa hoops fan in some time. Plus, the future looks good too IMO. Iowa is a regular participant in the NCAA's these days and while I am not satisfied with just that, I am also happy that it's at least that....if that makes sense.

Iowa is having a nice season despite last nights loss. It was incredibly disappointing to lose last night but this seasons been fun. I expect more fun. We are gonna dance - despite everyone moving the target all season, some fans try and stay even-keeled about things. With 9 games to go in the year, I picked them to go 4-5. I didn't see the MN win, I didn't see the PU loss, but I also was realistic about what our chances were down the stretch. This is a tough league. Our team is short handed, yet this feels like one of the more gratifying seasons as an Iowa hoops fan in some time. Plus, the future looks good too IMO. Iowa is a regular participant in the NCAA's these days and while I am not satisfied with just that, I am also happy that it's at least that....if that makes sense.

This is where I'm at. Given the injuries and departures, this has been as surprised as I've been by a season. There are things that still drive me batshit crazy, but I'll take the bad with the good because I've seen up close and personal just how bad it can get (*cough* Lickliter *cough*). I'm hoping we can steal one on the road and still get the double bye and hopefully get a chance to play on Sat in the BTT for the first time in forever.

Same things happen to most B1G teams not nicknamed The Spartans

Might add the Badgers to that list

Penn State was rather fatigued in IC last Saturday

Maryland has lost 3 of the last 4 games

Rutgers after a solid start has lost 7 of the last nine

The illini, however, are on a 4 game winning streak

Penn State, after wining 8 in a row have 4 of the last 5

Illinois, however, has won the last four after losing 5 in a row and are ripe for a fall on Sunday

This is a brutal conference and it takes it toll on all teams with a couple of exceptions

We did hold home court after the opening game against Depaul

We have had an outstanding season and were the Talk of the Town for a while

Season is not over, and a strong game in Assembly Hall will be Good

Lot of basketball left and we shall see the results quickly

I have confidence iin the Lads and when we get into The Dance

The teams we play don't know what is coming their way

It's All Good

:cool:

Have to get a last thought from last nights suck fest.

Toward the end 3-4 minutes left at TO. Pemsl and JT at back of huddle watching student half court heaves and laughing.Payed NO attention to huddle talk the entire time.

I might expect it out of the Freshmen, but Pemsl - seriously

Act like you give a s***.

Latest posts