The "honeymoon" is over with Coach Fran...

so here we are.......recruits falling by the wayside ..our best player transfers, STUPID marketing campaign ("let's get mad again")........our new "bride" Fran is losing his luster quickly now isn't he Hawkeye fans....

You really need a life. This was to be expected. Your doctor can prescribe something for your blood pressure until you begin to breathe normally again.

None of this is on Fran. Really, until next spring, it's going to be tough to hold him to any of this.

+2

so here we are.......recruits falling by the wayside ..our best player transfers, STUPID marketing campaign ("let's get mad again")........our new "bride" Fran is losing his luster quickly now isn't he Hawkeye fans....

Three weeks in? You and CAARHawk should get together; he sounds like a fool but was at least willing to give him until November.

FM has been here for all of 2 or 3 weeks, has no relationship whatsoever with the incoming recruits who committed prior to watching a program going 10-22 last year (one of the recruits committing in his junior year and watching the program getting progressively worse), the coach has a completely different style of play, he got rid of the assistant coaches who recruited the players, one of the players had been planning to transfer for months back to his home state regardless of who was coach--

and some of you are criticizing the new coach for not being able to recruit and he has yet to bring in HIS first recruit? These are Lickliter recruits not his recruits. Will he try to keep Larsen and Brust? Probably, are either interested in Iowa now? Probably not when they have their choice of higher profile programs maybe? Who knows? They might be bitter that Lickliter was fired--who knows? They had relationships with Lickliter that the new coach has to overcome and that might be quite difficult.

I suspect some of you are complaining just to be complaining, just to get a rise, or you truly have no idea what is going on?

Wow great, another post comparing one game scenarios to a downward spiral of 8 years. And then to top it all off once again trying to somehow equate the football team to the basketball team. Brilliant.

Well sorry, but it shows that there is parity in college basketball now. There never used to be. There are now teams from smaller conferences who are able to play with the big boys.

My post was in regards to coach fran as well, he has re-built programs before and he will do it again. Everyone says, "oh were losing all our players." Well so be it, if that's what he wants to do, then let him do it. He has taken teams who were far lesser talented to the NCAA and beaten teams from the big ten. He has had his team consistently in the 20-25 win mark the past 3 years. He can flat out coach.

Have faith in the guy, he will get things turned around. And my post about the next man in, what are we supposed to do? Not replace any of the players who left and just have open scholarships? Fran will find his "type" of players and get them in here and Iowa will be good again!

I think the most important thing right now is for this incoming class to fit what Coach Fran is trying to do on both ends of the court. Equally important is that they bond with him and the assistant(s) so that the stream of departures can finally be dammed.

As painful it is to watch Cody and Ben not arrive in IC or wear Black and Gold, it would have been uglier and more detrimental if they came and left a year or two later.

I think the most important thing right now is for this incoming class to fit what Coach Fran is trying to do on both ends of the court. Equally important is that they bond with him and the assistant(s) so that the stream of departures can finally be dammed.

As painful it is to watch Cody and Ben not arrive in IC or wear Black and Gold, it would have been uglier and more detrimental if they came and left a year or two later.

Yep. Better now than later. Good point.

The incoming players (and returning ones, for that matter) need to have full faith and confidence in the new coach and staff. Apparently Cody and Ben were not prepared to make that leap at this point.

Plus, both seemed to have developed during their senior seasons (granted, some issues with Larson that got him suspended for the last half of the season). Still, they may appear to be more attractive prospects than they were when they were recruited to Iowa, and no doubt schools were in touch as soon as it appeared Lick was going to get canned. Can't blame them for looking.

But if their hearts aren't ready to embrace Coach Fran at this point, we wish them well in their next stops. Time to move on.

Fran could beat our entire pre-season schedule with what he has left!

I don't care about these recruits leaving, personally none of them stood out as game changers. All they were going to be is bodies on the bench. We still have Gatens, May, Cougill, Payne, and Cole. Thats a decent starting 5, now we just need to find some role players to assist them!

This is a decent starting 5?!?!? You're aware this is B10 Bball right...

This is a decent starting 5?!?!? You're aware this is B10 Bball right...

Yeah so what? These guys all have a year or more of experience now. May, Payne, Cougs were just getting their feet wet last year. Now they know what to do to prepare for the Big 10 season. Gatens will be a bigger force next year, coach fran will actually move him around on offense (instead of having cole and cougs set ball screen after ball screen after ball screen.)

These 5 will be key next year, if they all stay they will be stronger and a year older. I look for these 5 to lead the hawks next year. Now you throw in Marble Jr. McCabe, and a couple of other role players. You have a decent team.

The whole thing is going to be is if these guys pick up on Fran's system. If they adapt to it and believe in it, they can be a top 6 in the league team. If they don't adapt to it and struggle with it, well we are going to a bottom tier team. Either way we are better off with coach Fran, he will these 5 guys to play their hearts out and he will have them playing a more exciting style of basketball.

The incoming players (and returning ones, for that matter) need to have full faith and confidence in the new coach and staff. Apparently Cody and Ben were not prepared to make that leap at this point.

Plus, both seemed to have developed during their senior seasons (granted, some issues with Larson that got him suspended for the last half of the season). Still, they may appear to be more attractive prospects than they were when they were recruited to Iowa, and no doubt schools were in touch as soon as it appeared Lick was going to get canned. Can't blame them for looking.

But if their hearts aren't ready to embrace Coach Fran at this point, we wish them well in their next stops. Time to move on.

They've not made a decision yet. The only thing they've done is decide that they're going to be smart about this. They aren't going to just blindly put their faith in McCaffery, nor should they. They are 18-year old kids facing the biggest decision of their lives thus far, and kudos to them for taking the steps to help ensure they make the right choice.

I just want to make sure I understand, you guys are made about transfers, from a team that was the worst in the big ten, and recruits, who the prior coach, a huge failure recruited, leaving when a new coach with an opposite style and a much better roster the last 3 years arrives to turn the program around. Not sure I understand the logic.

I just want to make sure I understand, you guys are made about transfers, from a team that was the worst in the big ten, and recruits, who the prior coach, a huge failure recruited, leaving when a new coach with an opposite style and a much better roster the last 3 years arrives to turn the program around. Not sure I understand the logic.

Not sure I understand your logic as it's Iowa's best player who would only be a junior and has shown tremendous upside AND 2 very well thought of recruits who may have signed with Iowa, but are by no means handcuffed to play a certain style.

Not sure I understand your logic as it's Iowa's best player who would only be a junior and has shown tremendous upside AND 2 very well thought of recruits who may have signed with Iowa, but are by no means handcuffed to play a certain style.

I don't understand that post at all, so you're one up on me there.

I don't understand that post at all, so you're one up on me there.

I speak fluent "typoese" and "unclear thoughts" so I was able to slice and dice my way right through it SR! :D

Edit: Almost forgot to give the breakdown!

He was saying that since Iowa stunk outloud Fuller's not a good player and that since Lick recruited Brust and Larson, they can only play "The Butler Way", so why is everyone upset about losing any of them!?!?

I speak fluent "typoese" and "unclear thoughts" so I was able to slice and dice my way right through it SR! :D

Edit: Almost forgot to give the breakdown!

He was saying that since Iowa stunk outloud Fuller's not a good player and that since Lick recruited Brust and Larson, they can only play "The Butler Way", so why is everyone upset about losing any of them!?!?

That's better.

Latest posts