The Holiday ISU rubdown....

Niemann was a trooper. Never got his named called a lot exactly for the reason you stated. I've always heard comparisons of him as a slightly less athletic Kirksey. I definitely think he's gonna be playing on Sundays.

He'll get a shot to play on Sundays for sure. I think he may be a little slow to play man coverage in the NFL, which will hurt his draft stock, but IMHO he was our best LB this year and is just a fraction of a cut below some serious stars that have played at Iowa. Not to take anything away from Lanning and I get why he's a fan favorite in Ames, but if he was playing Niemann's role at Iowa he would have probably been the soft spot everyone attacked rather than the #2 corner position and Bower.

As an ISU fan I wouldn't be surprised at all to see a 6-6 record and I'd sort of expect it. ISU lost some games this year they could have won, but overall IMO this is the best overall team that ISU has had in my lifetime, which is pretty amazing considering we were playing a QB that didn't play at his Juco, a LB that last played the position in 8th grade, a LG that was a DL until last spring, etc.

We lose a lot of talent. But there are plenty of reasons to be confident in the overall continued progress of the program. Safeties and OL have to be the biggest concern going into next year.

Looking back on the year, I'm shocked Iowa beat ISU. I'm also shocked Campbell didn't bounce, but he must be confident in who he has returning. The thing about the Big 12 is you have any semblance of a defense, you can put together a pretty solid record and Campbell sure looked like he put together a good defensive unit in 2017.

which is pretty amazing considering we were playing a QB that didn't play at his Juco, a LB that last played the position in 8th grade,
Really??? It's weird that no one in the media or on the TV broadcasts mentioned this. Not even once. Can someone get Randy Pete on the line? I think we've got a scoop! Hmmmm, its almost like those players were trusting some sort of process after surviving a storm that had been brewing!

Breaking in a LOT of new guys early in the year. ISU also lost to teams like KSU who are just a more physical team. The Big 12 as a conference is playing great defense in bowls outside of OU. Overall I think the league gets a bad rap defensively.

Really??? It's weird that no one in the media or on the TV broadcasts mentioned this. Not even once. Can someone get Randy Pete on the line? I think we've got a scoop! Hmmmm, its almost like those players were trusting some sort of process after surviving a storm that had been brewing!

This board was basically unanimous that Lanning was going to be a disaster before the season. If I would have asked before the season on this board what the record for ISU would be without Park at QB and some dude named Kyle Kempt I'm guessing most would have ISU at 2 or 3 wins. Staff did a great job this year.

Breaking in a LOT of new guys early in the year. ISU also lost to teams like KSU who are just a more physical team. The Big 12 as a conference is playing great defense in bowls outside of OU. Overall I think the league gets a bad rap defensively.

Fair point. A lot of the SEC offenses are just bad and a lot of the Big Ten defenses get major assists from the weather. Most of the Big 12 footprint is far more hospitable to wide open offenses than the Big 10 footprint.

Looking back on the year, I'm shocked Iowa beat ISU. I'm also shocked Campbell didn't bounce, but he must be confident in who he has returning. The thing about the Big 12 is you have any semblance of a defense, you can put together a pretty solid record and Campbell sure looked like he put together a good defensive unit in 2017.
Funnily enough, I don't believe they would have beat us with Kempt at QB either. Montgomery got yards in that game, but most of them came on 2-3 plays of bad tackling (again, not slighting Montgomery's ability to shed tacklers). What really kept them in it after our 3rd quarter run and what put them ahead was Park slinging it around and two really bad coverage busts. Kempt definitely took care of the ball more, and was absolutely what they needed in order to have the season they did, but I don't know if he had the gun or swagger to make some of the throws Park did.

This board was basically unanimous that Lanning was going to be a disaster before the season. If I would have asked before the season on this board what the record for ISU would be without Park at QB and some dude named Kyle Kempt I'm guessing most would have ISU at 2 or 3 wins. Staff did a great job this year.
Apparently sarcasm isn't your thing.

As an ISU fan I wouldn't be surprised at all to see a 6-6 record and I'd sort of expect it. ISU lost some games this year they could have won, but overall IMO this is the best overall team that ISU has had in my lifetime, which is pretty amazing considering we were playing a QB that didn't play at his Juco, a LB that last played the position in 8th grade, a LG that was a DL until last spring, etc.

We lose a lot of talent. But there are plenty of reasons to be confident in the overall continued progress of the program. Safeties and OL have to be the biggest concern going into next year.

Mac's 2000 team was better. Heck Mac's 2002 team would have kicked this year Campbells teams teeth in. ISU lost to a lot of very good teams that year. #2 Oklahoma, #3 Florida St., #4 Texas, #7 Colorado, #10 Nebraska. Sure ISU got lucky and beat OU and TCU, but outside of that, they lost to a bunch of average teams.

Except they did a bad job evaluating QB talent/attitudes at the start of the season before the Texas game meltdown. Seems to me based on the player comments there had been some issues all along with Mr. Park. Except that ya.

Campbell wasn't going to find a team to pay ISU 10 Million to buy out his contract. If Pollard wouldn't have put that in place, he would be gone. Good move by him.

Wait, someone said they would take Lanning over Niemann? Insanity. I would take him over Bower, but that's it. Niemann was ridiculously good in pass coverage. The reason I know Niemann is good is because he's an outside LB who has to cover the slot guy or TE and I didn't hear his name 20 times a game. "Pass complete to [__], and Niemann with the tackle."

Neiman > Lanning. Granted Lanning only had a year to play LB, but they pretty much pulled him off the field during passing downs, as he was a liability there. Good thing Campbell is a little slow on that take and didn't figure that out til AFTER Iowa burned him for a huge TD late in the game vs them.

Mac's 2000 team was better. Heck Mac's 2002 team would have kicked this year Campbells teams teeth in. ISU lost to a lot of very good teams that year. #2 Oklahoma, #3 Florida St., #4 Texas, #7 Colorado, #10 Nebraska. Sure ISU got lucky and beat OU and TCU, but outside of that, they lost to a bunch of average teams.

Love you dude but you're on crack. The 2000 team got blasted by anybody with a pulse. The 2002 lost to a lot of good teams that year. Lost to some crappy ones too. Heck they lost 7 times, including UConn at home at Boise before they were Boise.

Neiman > Lanning. Granted Lanning only had a year to play LB, but they pretty much pulled him off the field during passing downs, as he was a liability there. Good thing Campbell is a little slow on that take and didn't figure that out til AFTER Iowa burned him for a huge TD late in the game vs them.

No they didn't. They just stopped dropping him into coverage and had him spying the QB and rushing them.

Chris Williams said on the radio he expects ISU to go 8-4 next year with a win in Iowa City.

Isn't this pretty much the same thing as saying the Big 10 won almost all of its bowl games? Didn't most Big 10 teams' opponents have 1 or 2 losses in bowls?

Well Wyoming and Iowa State won their bowl games as well, so it wasn't just their big ten opponents.

Only 4 of Iowa's opponents this year didn't go to a bowl game. In fact, all 3 of Iowa's non conference opponents played in bowl games.

Latest posts