The Holiday ISU rubdown....

The only thing I don't like is how the clown die hards puff the chest and totally ignore their decades of past futility. Like it never happened. At least I recognize the 70's in IC were putrid.

I understand. I realize ISU has never had a lot of success. Hoping they can get to the levels of success teams like the hawks and cornhuskers are having.

That's "occasionally", at best. Does almost being top-25 count??

I think it possibly does. Most times 20th to about 35th is weekly interchangable. Top 25, while universally viewed as a "status", is a pretty arbitrary number. It's an interesting conversation. Maybe its just me, but i see little difference between 21-30. Dont get me wrong, id like to see Iowa on the scrolling ticker more often.

Yeah, lots of delusion over there, no doubt. While I think Campbell's definitely has them headed in the right direction (at least in a lot better spot than Rwoades had them), they lose A LOT. Those senior guys like Lanning, Lazard, Waggoner, Cotton-Moyo, Campos, Murdock and Ryen, will not be easily replaceable. I imagine they'll take a step back. I see 6-6 at best, more likely 5-7. Somehow, they'll still beat the Hawks though. 4 wins in a row for Kirk over ISU? Has that ever happened before?

Way too early predictions: ISU. 6 to 8 wins; Iowa 8-10 wins. Another classic Cy-hawk game.

I understand. I realize ISU has never had a lot of success. Hoping they can get to the levels of success teams like the hawks and cornhuskers are having.

ISU had a historically great year for them. I was pulling for them. It helps the rivalry, strength of schedule, when ISU is solid. That said, "never had a Lot of success" is kinda understating it. Its good for The Hawks when ISU is solid. In the inverse, when the Clones are bad, an Iowa win helps us very little, and a loss is deveastating.

ISU had a historically great year for them. I was pulling for them. It helps the rivalry, strength of schedule, when ISU is solid. That said, "never had a Lot of success" is kinda understating it. Its good for The Hawks when ISU is solid. In the inverse, when the Clones are bad, an Iowa win helps us very little, and a loss is deveastating.

I think it might help more beating ISU then the other non-conference teams next year, northern Iowa or northern Illinois.

They claimed this years recruiting class would be "top 25". They are claiming next years will be a "top 25" class. They are going to miss Lazard, Lanning and Kempt. They won't sneak up on anyone next year, and will be a 6-6 squad.

I assume they are trying to convey the thought even though Lazard is gone they have a lot of talent left at the the WR position. Hakeem Butler at 6'6" is good and can get better, Eaton 6'4" is very good and Deshauntae Jones caught 40 balls as a true freshmen 2 years ago but they had a grad transfer in Marchie Murdock that took a lot of his balls this year. Its a little like Iowa losing their TE, they might lose a very good one in any given year but they usually have 2 other ready to go.

Kempt played very well for them but the freshmen Noland had a great arm. He throws a very nice 20 yard strike and threw a nice deep ball also, he probably needs to work on short touch passes the most.

I think we are looking at two schools in the state being potentially very good the next two years barring injuries but one of the nice things is even if either of the schools have injuries on the defensive line they are both very deep there and can sustain some.

The funny thing is both schools need the most improvement on the offensive line to be as successful as they can be.

I think it might help more beating ISU then the other non-conference teams next year, northern Iowa or northern Illinois.

Well, yeah, of course. Should always better to beat a p5 team. Well, there have been years that may not not have been true, especially NIU, but hopefully those years are in the past for the Clones. Isu's good year played a part in Iowas top 10 strength of schedule this year.

I had to laugh at the posters there. They think they will be just as strong even though they are graduating all of their skill positions (receiver, quarterback, cornerback) except running back, as well as graduating over half of their offense (most of their o-line) and over half of their defense. This was according to their two-deeps published just before the Liberty Bowl. LOTS of Srs and RS-Srs.

Its almost as silly as people here thinking our defense won't skip a beat after losing all 3 linebackers, and Jackson, or the people that think our offense is going to be better next year after losing our one and only playmaker our offense had.

Its almost as silly as people here thinking our defense won't skip a beat after losing all 3 linebackers, and Jackson, or the people that think our offense is going to be better next year after losing our one and only playmaker our offense had.

I don't recall seeing anyone say we aren't likely to take a step back on defense overall. History of our reliance on LB play would almost ensure it. Maybe I missed the posts you speak if though.

Losing Wadley will hurt, dude was a difference maker. All we can hope is that oline is a strength to mitigate the loss of AW. It's not too far fetched to believe the offense could be better overall. Statistically, it should.

I will play devils advocate on Iowa. Maybe the fact most of the starting offensive line the 2nd half of the season comes back and even though Iowa loses its best playmaker maybe a lesser playmaker or two will have a lot bigger holes. Smith may be the best playmaker Iowa has had a WR for a while. Maybe the fact the QB has a year's starting experience going into next year.

No question the linebackers are not as good next year but they are playing behind the deepest defensive line next year in the Ferentz era. They played 8 guys this year and hopefully Nixon can help fill part of Bazata's role. We should be able to get a better pass rush out of the front 4 since Clayborn, Ballard, Binns and Daniels. Sure losing Jackson hurts but don't forget he was supposed to be our 2nd best CB coming in, and even though Rugamba was inconsistent he can bounce back next year and Hankins looks promising. The safety position should be better also.

Also for the Iowa State crowd just tell them Iowa should really be in the playoff since Iowa beat Iowa State who beat Oklahoma, therefore Hawks should have been playing Georgia.

needless to say the run up to the Iowa / Iowa State game this year will probably reach max hysteria. Will be fun times. Hope for a night game too. The kiddies will get their full drinky drink on.

Wanna hear a crazy stat? Iowa's regular season opponents went 8-1 in their bowl games.

Isn't this pretty much the same thing as saying the Big 10 won almost all of its bowl games? Didn't most Big 10 teams' opponents have 1 or 2 losses in bowls?

How many of you all have friends or relatives that are ISU fans, who were puffing their chests after the Clowns big win over Memphis? The main themes for me:

1) The foundation has been laid, nowhere but up from here
2) Recruiting is on the definite upswing, we won't miss Lanning or Lazard at all, just plug in someone for the same production
3) We were a few points from playing for the Natty
4) Iowa had the "stars align" to beat OSU, but we took it to OK and beat them soundly as a better team.

Rich.

I've heard #1, 2, and 4, but never #3. The closest has been "we were a few points from playing for the Big 12 championship." And if they said it about the national championship, they were just joking. Whereas, fans here a few years ago really meant it when they said it.

My thought is not acknowledge they exist and let them circle jerk each other and not have any more threads about them on HN!

Wait, someone said they would take Lanning over Niemann? Insanity. I would take him over Bower, but that's it. Niemann was ridiculously good in pass coverage. The reason I know Niemann is good is because he's an outside LB who has to cover the slot guy or TE and I didn't hear his name 20 times a game. "Pass complete to [__], and Niemann with the tackle."

Wait, someone said they would take Lanning over Niemann? Insanity. I would take him over Bower, but that's it. Niemann was ridiculously good in pass coverage. The reason I know Niemann is good is because he's an outside LB who has to cover the slot guy or TE and I didn't hear his name 20 times a game. "Pass complete to [__], and Niemann with the tackle."
Niemann was a trooper. Never got his named called a lot exactly for the reason you stated. I've always heard comparisons of him as a slightly less athletic Kirksey. I definitely think he's gonna be playing on Sundays.

Niemann was a trooper. Never got his named called a lot exactly for the reason you stated. I've always heard comparisons of him as a slightly less athletic Kirksey. I definitely think he's gonna be playing on Sundays.

I agree. He should test out pretty well at Iowa's pro day and the combine I would imagine. He has the measurables (remember he was committed to Northern Illinois to play WR) and not hearing his name a lot this season was a good thing, considering the position he played.

As an ISU fan I wouldn't be surprised at all to see a 6-6 record and I'd sort of expect it. ISU lost some games this year they could have won, but overall IMO this is the best overall team that ISU has had in my lifetime, which is pretty amazing considering we were playing a QB that didn't play at his Juco, a LB that last played the position in 8th grade, a LG that was a DL until last spring, etc.

We lose a lot of talent. But there are plenty of reasons to be confident in the overall continued progress of the program. Safeties and OL have to be the biggest concern going into next year.

Latest posts