The Herd is really calling out Iowa's schedule this morning!

hawkeyz10

He said Iowa will never win a national title, so stop scheduling Northern Iowa, Central Iowa, and Iowa School of.... and start scheduling teams your fan base wants to see!

Says he is not picking on Iowa. "I fly over Iowa all the time! I eat corn all day!"

Can't argue it, the schedule it's just bad no way around it and it's the hand we were dealt years in advance. I'm guessing what you have here is a radio host going around the country looking at 1 loss teams and stopped at Iowa and looked at who they played.

Yep, playing 2 Power 5 schools is terrible. Playing an FCS school is terrible. Playing what was a good MAC team last year is terrible. What % of schools play 2 power 5 schools every year? What % play a FCS team every year. It's not like Iowa is alone. Just happens ISU isn't good, even though Iowa loses 50% of those games vs ISU under Ferentz. Iowa can't do anything about the B1G schedule. It'll all change in a few years, no more FCS teams, 9 conference games. Let's see the SEC and ACC do that.

1. Who cares what the "Herd" says.

2. Iowa played 2 teams from Power 5 conferences in the non-conference....not out of line with most other teams.

3. Iowa has no control over their Big 10 schedule.

He's right... Iowa isn't the only school that had an FCS school this year on their schedule however.... I don't think the schedule is the biggest factor for why Iowa isn't going to win the big one. They gotta get better and win period. The schedule doesn't matter till you stop losing to the ISUs of the world and look good beating the Ball States of the world.

Ummm. I know I talk about the Hawks a lot, but why is Iowa football on any national radio show today with an NFL game last night and a World Series about to happen with America's new favorite team.

For a guy who claims to have intellectual superiority over the rest of the world, i was a little disappointed in his lack of creativity in making fun of Iowa. Really, "I eat corn all day!" If he is going to poke fun at our state, then have some originality.

With that being said, I would love to have the Big 10 schedule start earlier. Iowa could have the same schedule, but if they play the games later in the season, then they would be less likely to be called out. Or better yet, schedule SEC teams in November.

Ummm. I know I talk about the Hawks a lot, but why is Iowa football on any national radio show today with an NFL game last night and a World Series about to happen with America's new favorite team.

They're still playing baseball? Jk. But yawn. NFL plays on Thursday nights? College rules on Friday and Saturday, sometimes on Sunday depending outcomes.

The whole SEC played only like 5-7 Power Five schools in their non-conference slate.....the Big Ten played like 15. Cowherd needs to look at some of these SEC ''powers'' and their schedules.

For a guy who claims to have intellectual superiority over the rest of the world, i was a little disappointed in his lack of creativity in making fun of Iowa. Really, "I eat corn all day!" If he is going to poke fun at our state, then have some originality.

With that being said, I would love to have the Big 10 schedule start earlier. Iowa could have the same schedule, but if they play the games later in the season, then they would be less likely to be called out. Or better yet, schedule SEC teams in November.
Scheduling B1G games earlier would mean a conference loss for Iowa since they get better as the year goes on barring injuries. And good luck scheduling SEC teams in November, they won't come here.

Is he calling out OSU? They lost to Va. Tech, who lost to Pitt last nite, who Iowa beat.....so we scheduled tougher than OSU, and we are better than them....

Our non-conference schedule isn't that far off from most SEC teams. For example, Alabama scheduled W. Virginia #31, Florida Atlantic #134, Southern Miss #148 and Western Carolina #143. That's an easier ooc schedule than us. 3 out of 4 of those teams are rated worse by Sagarin than any team we play all year and W. Virginia isn't much higher than Pitt was at the time we played them.

Is he starving for ratings? Trolling Iowa fans has been known to get other media members more page views and attention.

The whole SEC played only like 5-7 Power Five schools in their non-conference slate.....the Big Ten played like 15. Cowherd needs to look at some of these SEC ''powers'' and their schedules.

SEC played 10 power 5 teams, but 4 did not play 1, Ole Miss, Miss St., Texas A&M, Vanderbilt. Only Georgia plays 2.

Last edited:
How exactly is Iowa's schedule their fault this year? Their B1G schedule is nothing they can control and their out of conference had two teams from power conferences and two cupcakes. Pretty much every major conference school did something very similar, Alabama played Southern Miss and Florida Atl...Mississippi State played UAB, Southern Miss and South Alabama. Why is nobody blasting them for their non conference opponents? Is it Iowa's fault Pitt is a bad team this year?

I wouldn't mind seeing us schedule some better non-conference opponents. That being said, in previous years we did play ASU and Arizona ... and were scheduled to play Missouri. Since the games are scheduled (iusually) so far in advance nobody really knows how good/bad a team will be when it's actually time to play them.

I know we have to mix in the cupcakes ... But please, please, stop playing UNI ... That game does absolutely NOTHING for the U of I. Nothing. Would be fun to see us schedule a home and away with Notre Dame ... or someone like that. Heck, Minny had a home and away with USC ... Wisky played LSU this year ... It can happen ... but I think we prefer the softer schedule versus the national spotlight. I personally wouldn't mind seeing us play an LSU or someone at a nuetral site ... We need a shot in the arm here ... :)

How exactly is Iowa's schedule their fault this year? Their B1G schedule is nothing they can control and their out of conference had two teams from power conferences and two cupcakes. Pretty much every major conference school did something very similar, Alabama played Southern Miss and Florida Atl...Mississippi State played UAB, Southern Miss and South Alabama. Why is nobody blasting them for their non conference opponents? Is it Iowa's fault Pitt is a bad team this year?

Because they're from the almighty SEC, and are above criticism. :p Seriously though, those teams will more than make up for it through their conference schedule so I don't think people are too concerned about it. You win the SEC, you will have earned it. I can't deny that the SEC is the best league in the land these days. What if Iowa would have gone 12-0 this year but conceivably not play a single ranked team? There could be some controversy there. Iowa has little chance to prove themselves with this schedule, win or lose.

True on Iowa's conference schedule - It's not a matter of fault, but it's the hand they've been dealt - WEAK.

The non-conference schedules under KF are traditionally pretty pathetic, although their have been years with ASU or AZ on the schedule, but otherwise, it's usually the sisters of the poor (ISU included, even though KF has a losing record against them, but I digress....)

I miss the days where Hayden would have an occasional big match up on the schedule - Miami (FL) a couple times, Colorado, etc. And yes, I know Hayden's Iowa teams feasted on some cupcakes, too. But don't expect any legit programs on Iowa's OOC schedule while KF is coach, unless it's by accident. Zzzzzzzzzzz....

Last edited:

Latest posts