The Greg Davis chatter

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
It has a feel to it to me. More than just 'yeah, that's just BS rumor' feel. Not sure if there is anything to it. Had heard an interesting scenario last week but just figured it was false smoke.

Kirk even talking about the rumor in his Presser was odd, or his answer to it and a few other things seemed out if the norm. I liked some of those answers actually. They were raw.

Morehouse tweeted that Davis said he'd talk next week. Kirk also said he'd have a Presser next week too. I think he did that in 2007 as well given there wouldn't be any bowl pressers. Could be an interesting week.

Davis should just resign. Installing this offense was just as bad an idea as Lickliter's style of basketball. It's just a program killer in my opinion.

I don't even know why Ferentz though Davis was worth a hire in the first place.

It has a feel to it to me. More than just 'yeah, that's just BS rumor' feel. Not sure if there is anything to it. Had heard an interesting scenario last week but just figured it was false smoke.

Kirk even talking about the rumor in his Presser was odd, or his answer to it and a few other things seemed out if the norm. I liked some of those answers actually. They were raw.

Morehouse tweeted that Davis said he'd talk next week. Kirk also said he'd have a Presser next week too. I think he did that in 2007 as well given there wouldn't be any bowl pressers. Could be an interesting week.

Yeah I agree Jon - there was something about the way he answered the questions that was different.

Last edited:
Was there any truth to the rumor that Davis's wife stayed in Texas when he came here? I know Davis is in his 60's and never has wanted to be a head coach so it seems it was a "let's try this and see" type of deal. If he really does have a 1 yr deal he could go back home if it didn't work without having to move his wife here.

What scenario would that be?

I just dont think a change in the OC gains us much? Really, not much changed in the new 'system' from the old one... Pretty sure that the HC is the bigger limiting factor than the OC.

And this continued nonsense about Brian Ferentz is a puzzler... nice kid I'm sure but promoting him to OC would be highly questionable. We don't even know yet if he is qualified to coach the Oline?

"So what went wrong with [Name Redacted], when everything at first seemed so right? The truth: His insecurity got the best of him. He changed offensive coordinators every year or two. Sometimes, he became the offensive coordinator. He switched practice from afternoon to morning, he permitted the players to call him "Kerky," he let them pick out those ugly uniform combinations, and continuity slowly disappeared. The kid in the warehouse had become unsure of himself. "

It matters very little if Davis leaves and a new OC is hired. The new OC would have to run his offense within the boundries as outlined by KF. As we've seen over the years, it is not the most exciting type of offense college teams run.;) I am trying to be nice about it. In reality the Iowa offense is one of the most boorish things to watch in college sports of any kind.

Without Norm Parker on the sidelines running the defense, this program is not very good. It is clear to many of us Norm was the man behind much of this programs success during the KF era.

Unless KF does a 180 this winter on his philosophies, the football program at Iowa has already seen its best days under KF.

I just dont think a change in the OC gains us much? Really, not much changed in the new 'system' from the old one... Pretty sure that the HC is the bigger limiting factor than the OC.

And this continued nonsense about Brian Ferentz is a puzzler... nice kid I'm sure but promoting him to OC would be highly questionable. We don't even know yet if he is qualified to coach the Oline?

But...but...but...he was going to be the OC in New England!

This system was different from the old system and much worse. If KOK was the OC, we would have won 6 games and complained about him all year.

This system was different from the old system and much worse. If KOK was the OC, we would have won 6 games and complained about him all year.
It was a little different, but not nearly as significant as many have made it out to be. The entire running game schemes were 100% identical. The play action and TE stuff in the passing game, all of the screens, wheel routes, and other throws to the backs were identical. The only difference was we eliminated the 5 or shots that we took down the field each game. The "horizontal" throws that everyone likes to ***** about became less and less a part of the offense with each passing game. The O out there today looked very little like what we saw against N ILL.

It was a little different, but not nearly as significant as many have made it out to be. The entire running game schemes were 100% identical. The play action and TE stuff in the passing game, all of the screens, wheel routes, and other throws to the backs were identical. The only difference was we eliminated the 5 or shots that we took down the field each game. The "horizontal" throws that everyone likes to ***** about became less and less a part of the offense with each passing game. The O out there today looked very little like what we saw against N ILL.

Why? Because we went Trips Left several times? Just because the formations changed doesn't meant that the scheme got any better. This offense was ugly from day one because of (A) the inability to adjust to the personnel and (B) a general lack of talent at the skill positions. Losing Scherff and Donnal really hurt and probably cost us at least a game. But, if you're going to say that ""horizontal" throws that everyone likes to ***** about became less and less a part of the offense with each passing game" aren't a big deal, I have one thing to say to you - 4th & 3

This.
I actually think they would have been 7-5 and gotten CRUSHED in a bowl game.

Davis is running the same offense that got him run out of Austin, Iowa's offense is not the same as last year.

Why? Because we went Trips Left several times? Just because the formations changed doesn't meant that the scheme got any better. This offense was ugly from day one because of (A) the inability to adjust to the personnel and (B) a general lack of talent at the skill positions. Losing Scherff and Donnal really hurt and probably cost us at least a game. But, if you're going to say that ""horizontal" throws that everyone likes to ***** about became less and less a part of the offense with each passing game" aren't a big deal, I have one thing to say to you - 4th & 3
Which play are you talking about? The Purdue game? That wasn't even remotely close to a "horizontal" throw. It was the same fullback flat route that every single pro-style O in America runs, including the great Ken O'Keefe. My god, Tom Busch made an entire career of catching TDs on that play. When did you start watching Iowa football, Sep. 1st this year? My God.

2012 Stats

Vandenburg
2012 2157 yds 58.1% Completion 7 TD 6 INT 110.8 RTG YPA 5.8
2011 3022 yds 58.7% Completion 25 TD 7 INT 138.4 RTG YPA 7.48

2012 Te's had 59 catches 485 Yds and 2 td's
2011 Te's had 38 catches 406 Yds and 5 td's

O and for a funny the only other qb to throw a pass in 2011 was Derby and he threw 6.

Are clock management sucks, the hire is solely to blame on Ferentz but GD has to freakn go. I'm not gonna lie I was excited for him because of the way he seemed, or I read to much or internet lies that he could adapt his offense to his talent. He didn't do that this year. He RUINED JVB. Jvb was a borderline draft pick after 2011 now he couldn't even play for the Barnstormers. I didn't think JVB would have the 11 success without Marvin but to be the worst qb in the b1g I wouldn't have guessed in a million years

Which play are you talking about? The Purdue game? That wasn't even remotely close to a "horizontal" throw. It was the same fullback flat route that every single pro-style O in America runs, including the great Ken O'Keefe. My god, Tom Busch made an entire career of catching TDs on that play. When did you start watching Iowa football, Sep. 1st this year? My God.

He had 20 career catches and only 4 touchdowns. Let's ease up a little.

Latest posts