The first QB I remember playing for Iowa was

Ditto. Was going to say the exact same thing.
Don't forget Burmeister. Remember he broke a long QB draw up the middle against IL.....and broke his collarbone on the tackle...
I thought that was Jim Hartlieb but you could be right.

That era between the two Matt's, Rodgers and Sherman, was an absolute revolving door at QB.

As for my first QB memory, it would have been Butch Caldwell. First time I saw Iowa on TV would have been the 1977 Iowa State game. First radio broadcast I remember was a year or two earlier. We were playing Michigan State and the Spartans had a wide receiver by the name of Kirk Gibson.

Kenny Ploen who went to have many great years in Canadian Football.

Yeah, it had to be Kenny Ploen. I think he played HS ball at Clinton. We had a Television by 1956 so we watched the Rose Bowl with Iowa vs Oregon State that year. He was amazing. He could pass and run with equal ability. I think he ran better than he passed though.

Yes, I'm old.

The pride of Oelwein! I remember him giving a talk in high school and when he quarterbacked Iowa in 1974 beating UCLA.

I went to the 1974 IL game. Not much action but I do remember a guy named Beaver hitting a 50 yard field goal and thinking that must be something. My first game as a kid. Some creepy 50 yo lady with bright blond hair had her hands all over me That, the fg and an Iowa win is what I remember.

Randy Duncan. I've seen the good with the bad. But never have I seen a QB constantly choke in almost every BIG game like Stanley. Completely inept. And BF is no better. Boring Boring Boring offense that never improves year after year and actually regresses from year to year. I know changes aren't coming and it makes me sick.

Butch Caldwell

I think Tippiett is one of the most underappreciated Hawk of all time. He was as good as Lawrence Taylor was in the pros.

I loved Long to Happel and Halverson on those 8 yard outs. those things were money. And then a bomb to Robert Smith. What a fun offense.

First QB I remember was Bob Commings Jr, senior was the head coach, of course. Was not a stellar time for Iowa Football. My memory is hazy, as I recall I lived in Burge Hall about that time, and the air alone would get you stoned.....anyway, I seem to recall BC Senior taking heat for starting his son. Not like we have any similarities in our athletics presently......

First QB I remember was Bob Commings Jr, senior was the head coach, of course. Was not a stellar time for Iowa Football. My memory is hazy, as I recall I lived in Burge Hall about that time, and the air alone would get you stoned.....anyway, I seem to recall BC Senior taking heat for starting his son. Not like we have any similarities in our athletics presently......

Stole my thunder, was going to mention him as well. Almost like the football version of Lil' Lick starting at point guard.

I think Tippiett is one of the most underappreciated Hawk of all time. He was as good as Lawrence Taylor was in the pros.

I loved Long to Happel and Halverson on those 8 yard outs. those things were money. And then a bomb to Robert Smith. What a fun offense.
Smith is high on my all time favorite Hawk list. He had "hyper eyes" early in his career, a common problem for converted track sprinters (like Cliff Branch). Happel and Helverson helped cure Smith of the problem, just like Fred Biletnikoff helped Branch. Hyper eyes cause receiver to drop passes because they don't see the ball clearly as it's coming in.

He could run by anybody, and he could pass for touchdowns as well. He averaged over 20 yards per reception. For his career. I feel blessed to have seen those high octane offenses from 1983-87 first hand.

Last edited:
Purge Hall, huh?

By Monday morning those hallways would be so littered with beer cans and pizza boxes it was like walking across a minefield just to get to the shower. And I lived in Currier.

I remember both Pete Gales and Gordy Bohannon. Was shocked when his sons committed to Wisconsin. JBo saved the Hawkeye legacy. Surprised none of them ever took the football route to college.

I was a freshman at Iowa in 81. Gales and Bohannon split snaps as I remember. I don't remember which QB was more effective but I do remember I lived in Hillcrest. Reggie Roby was my neighbor and Bortz, Hilgenburg and Andre Tippet lived on my hall. My Hawkeye roots dug deep that year.

Purge Hall, huh?

By Monday morning those hallways would be so littered with beer cans and pizza boxes it was like walking across a minefield just to get to the shower. And I lived in Currier.

As i recall Currier had to eat at Burgeb i am truly sorry for that. Good preparation for prison food was the prevailing thought.

Latest posts