The facts don't lie

I love this Tee -- and it's an accurate double-meaning!
I attended yesterday's game, and it's so memorable it really does deserve a moniker of some sort, but I haven't been able to come up with a catchy nickname for that game to share with long-time friends, fans, and family. Any ideas??? Please contribute!

I enjoyed the absurdity of the game. If I think too long what about what it portends for the rest of the season, I might get upset. But for now, I am excited to see if we can go undefeated without scoring an offensive TD all year.

I've concluded KF wants to totally smother 8 or 9 teams per year and that's good enough to keep people happy.
Agree.
Kirk has developed a program that is essentially a 5-4 B10 team.
Some years the schedule falls in our favor (2021 / 2015) and we exceed the norm.
Combined with 3 cupcake wins every year this is 'good enough' for enough Iowa supporters to keep his job.

Last edited:
Brian Ferentz is fair game for boos. That’s where most of it was directed. The student section was chanting fire Brian. Everyone knows what the elephant in the room is.
Agreed, not defending Brian but we’ve had a below average offense for the better half of 24 years and there is one common denominator…both Ferentz men gotta go.

My God how the fake fans come out after a close win against a good team.

the only thing I can criticize Ferentz for is his failure to field a healthy team for the opener.

we will be a completely different team if Keegan and Nico return and Williams returns.

Relax. We have a fine coaching staff.

the only thing I can criticize Ferentz for is his failure to field a healthy team for the opener.

we will be a completely different team if Keegan and Nico return and Williams returns.

I can't believe that anyone can believe that Petras should not have benched at the end of the first half in good faith. You want to tell me they played a conservative game plan (even for Kirk) because half the starting offense was injured? Fine. But the guy behind center is not competent. Petras threw more uncatchable balls to open receivers than he did catchable ones. L. Williams, LaPorta, and Brecht are competent players, even with the guys who were out and a bad OL. Petras is not. 1 TD and what, 10 INTs since Penn State last year? This guy isn't a starting college quarterback. He's not even a serviceable backup.

A good FCS team. Not even close to a good P5 team.

Any coaching staff is as strong as it’s weakest link, and there isn’t a worse OC in major conference football than BF

A good FCS team. Not even close to a good P5 team.

Any coaching staff is as strong as it’s weakest link, and there isn’t a worse OC in major conference football than BF
You surprise me.

If the OL comes together, this team will be fine. If it doesn’t, it will be a long season.

QB gets too much credit when a team wins and too much blame when a team loses.

you know this better than anyone.

You surprise me.

If the OL comes together, this team will be fine. If it doesn’t, it will be a long season.

QB gets too much credit when a team wins and too much blame when a team loses.

you know this better than anyone.
Despite the record, Petras was undeniably a bottom quartile QB in 2021 at best. He hasn't shown any improvement yet. Nobody is giving Petras credit for last year's record, and rightfully so.

You will get a better read on this team after the Iowa State game.

I’m only looking at one thing: Can the OL block and therefore create a running threat? That is the key to Iowa football under Kirk.

They won 10 games, dude. Petras and Padilla were good enough.
let’s see what happens this Saturday.
They won in spite of two very bad quarterbacks. That's fine, but won't be enough if the offensive line doesn't make massive strides. I hope they do, but with a competent guy behind center or at OC, they may have been B1G champs last year, and they would be very real contenders this year, not to mention not losing Charlie Jones to Purdue.

Just look at Petras trying to play the position. It's not as if he just has bad decision making to shore up. He looks completely unable to process the game at even an average level. It's deer in the headlights week in and week out.

They won in spite of two very bad quarterbacks. That's fine, but won't be enough if the offensive line doesn't make massive strides. I hope they do, but with a competent guy behind center or at OC, they may have been B1G champs last year, and they would be very real contenders this year, not to mention not losing Charlie Jones to Purdue.

Just look at Petras trying to play the position. It's not as if he just has bad decision making to shore up. He looks completely unable to process the game at even an average level. It's deer in the headlights week in and week out.
You aren’t really equipped to evaluate anything. Neither am I. We are simply fans.

Iowa had a very average OL last year. Ferentz has said it will improve. It did not look good last week. Let’s see what happens this week.

your whining is ridiculous. What are you proposing?

1. play a different QB? (I’m guessing that might happen soon).
2. Fire the 4th winningest coach in Big Ten history? Not happening.

it is amazing to me that in the 24th year of Ferentz ball fans are still barking for a more dynamic offense. Not happening.

My beef is with the O line. That has to improve.

You aren’t really equipped to evaluate anything. Neither am I. We are simply fans.

Iowa had a very average OL last year. Ferentz has said it will improve. It did not look good last week. Let’s see what happens this week.

your whining is ridiculous. What are you proposing?

1. play a different QB? (I’m guessing that might happen soon).
2. Fire the 4th winningest coach in Big Ten history? Not happening.

it is amazing to me that in the 24th year of Ferentz ball fans are still barking for a more dynamic offense. Not happening.

My beef is with the O line. That has to improve.
1TD-8INT

Yeah, give anyone else a chance at QB. Probably fire the OC. Fire the HC if he can’t do one of these two things.

It’s not whining, and anyone with eyes can evaluate Petras. We have twenty games worth of film. Greg Davis left how many years ago, now? Get your head out of your ass (I’d say sand, but it’s worse than that) and come to terms with reality.

I don’t want to fire Kirk at all. I do want him to recognize what everyone has known to be his blind spot for at least a decade: evaluating quarterbacks.

You might give the following a read sometime: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_from_authority

I went to the game on Saturday so I watched the recording of the broadcast yesterday. Mark Helfrich, the former Oregon coach, was the color commentator. He wasn't the greatest head coach ever but he does know the ABC's of offensive football. I must have heard him say at least a half dozen times that Petras' reads/throws were late. I think that tells the story right there. It's obvious he doesn't process things as quickly as he needs to at this level.
I completely agree on the weakness of the O-Line, they have to play better. But at this point, I'm don't see Petras ever "getting it" like we need him to.

Latest posts