The current state of IA wrestling

I have also talked to some of the top ppl over there and there is a lot of BS over there too but you can't have a perfect board. Now that this forum has an actual mod some of the posters will stick around instead of getting run off by idiots.

Well a lot of us thought the NCAA made those scoring changes to help even the playing field, as we traditionally had the most champs.

Can someone remind me what the scoring changes were? Now it's

1st - 16
2nd - 12
3rd - 10
4th - 9
5th - 7
6th - 6
7th - 4
8th - 3

What did it used to be?

The PBP on HR is top notch. Sorry Pin, need to step up.
I follow HR quite a bit myself. Most of the time the pbp is good, but not always. I had to fill in doing the pbp over there before. Its hard to write into words all of the action you are watching. It is an art! When all I have is my phone at work it is nice to have a picture painted in my mind for each match the hawks wrestle.

pbp is harder than you think during tournaments on a forum. if we had a chat format it would be perfect

for the best pbp follow along on twitter

play by play

if ppl want me to just post pbp for each period I can do that in the future instead of posting each thing that happens

appreciate any feedback

To save you the trouble, just keep it going the way you do. Otherwise, you'll have people jump in before you post, and it'll just tick everyone off.

I understand the comment about getting more of us posting. I obviously dont post too much, as you can see my numbers. I do read a lot and both respect most of you opinions and enjoy your thoughts. I just dont always have the time to sit down and do what I did last night on a computer and as much as I read on my Iphone, I dont enjoy typing a lot on it. I will try to do better if I think I have something worth saying.

Anyway, stay positive, cheer hard in two weeks and go Hawks!

PS: Remember the year that Minnesota beat us in Iowa City(Juergens Stritmatter etc) when they had 10 all-americans and no champs? Well a lot of us thought the NCAA made those scoring changes to help even the playing field, as we traditionally had the most champs. Well, dont count us out yet this year. As a poster said before, we did wrestle to or above most of our seeds and if we do that again at nationals we are going to score some serious points. This could be one of those years where we have one or even no champs, but could have 7 or 8 medals, and if that happens, a lot of things are possible....Just a thought.[/QUOTE

I am in the same boat blue. I also read alot of posts, just dont have the time to post much.

play by play

if ppl want me to just post pbp for each period I can do that in the future instead of posting each thing that happens

appreciate any feedback
just do what you do pin! those of us who are stuck at home or work sure do appriciate it!

blue appreciate your insight and hope you come around more often. we are hoping to make this the go to site for wrestling news and articles and not just a forum

You seem like one of those fans that's satisfied by the mediocre, the same type that thinks kids should all receive a trophy just for participating. Iowa wrestling is the way it is because Gable refused to be second best and when they were second best it was never good enough. If you don't get that then I think you need to study up on the history of Iowa Wrestling or GTFO.

I think this is a pretty limited view of how Gable made Iowa as successful as he did.

Agreed. This more or less just sums up the philosophy of Ricky Bobby.

I don’t see the relatively down state of the program a direct reflection of Brands’ coaching. Even with our hole at 149 scoring 0 points at Big Tens, we were right in the running for 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] with Minnesota who had guys at all their weights scoring. If we didn’t have such horrific fortune at 149 with all the injuries/transfers/quitting, we’d surpass Minnesota and be much closer to Penn State and with some great performances surpass them. The problem is that Penn State just seems on another level than all the other teams. It saddens me to say but they seem to have the perfect system set up to be the best year in and year out. They are in the most talent saturated state of Pennsylvania with no other colleges in state really having near as big of a consistent draw of talent. They hired the biggest name in wrestling as coach who seems to be able to keep the top Pennsylvania guys in state and cherry pick some of the top talent around the country from other states when needed. Cael’s built a program that not only dominates but also looks to be having fun doing it. I think about how Iowa can surpass Penn State again and it concerns me a bit. The state of Iowa produces some great wrestlers, but just doesn’t have the population to produce the quantity to fill the majority of your lineup with high AA guys. This means the coaches have to go out of state to bring more talents in which is far more challenging when you have to compete with the local schools for those kids and ask them to pay out of state tuition. Brands has made a big priority targeting Pennsylvania talent with the most recent being Gulibon (who was reportedly the first recruit he flew out to see) and next year possibly Marsteller but has lost almost every if not every direct recruiting battle with Cael. That’s a little concerning moving forward seeing how many of the top level guys come from PA. I think Brand’s great coaching can be seen with Cory Clark’s development into one of the best in the country and hopefully as good or better than the guy who was top ranked for the weight at the time he lost out on (Gulibon). The problem is Clark is the exception not the rule and for every Clark, you have twice as many studs that just don’t hit the same developmental curve and who get consistently outcompeted by the top rated phenoms out there. I hope Brands has an answer because the current model just seems to be getting outcompeted.

Thoughtful post.

We need to keep it relative guys. I know how high our expectations are, and after 35 years or so of the Iowa wrestling that we and the rest of the nation have seen, they should be high. With that said, maybe it just isnt realistic to expect that anymore. I say this for several reasons:

................................One last thing, I think we will be fine, but 9 NCAA's in a row wont happen again(by anyone). PSU is having their day and we will too again. The "shine" of our program will never rub off in recruits eyes if they continue to come into Carver and see 10 or 15 thousand wrestling fans, so we just need to suck it up and support Brands & Co and whoever they put out on the mat(including our 149 pounder).

Go Hawks!

Great post.

actually probably won't be able to do pbp during ncaa's

Pin, I've appreciated what you're doing and how you're doing it. Don't worry about changing anything, unless like you said a chat would make things easier for you. Your twitter benefitted me greatly over the weekend. BTW, I was the one who called your office. Appreciate all you do and hope all is well.

I agree with Buddrub---I opened my Twitter account to follow the B1G tourney last weekend. It was a slick way to "watch" the results, as there were times that we were out running around and I was able to keep up with the matches. I have also followed the action using the forum and that style also works. Please continue to provide as much of the action as you can. Your efforts are much appreciated.

Pin, I've appreciated what you're doing and how you're doing it. Don't worry about changing anything, unless like you said a chat would make things easier for you. Your twitter benefitted me greatly over the weekend. BTW, I was the one who called your office. Appreciate all you do and hope all is well.

Thank you so much for calling in who knows what you heard! A friday in our office is far from professional lol

And thanks for following along on twitter and on here. Come around more often

We scored more points this year at B10's!
Espn will be covering the first rounds , maybe second ESPN3 and ESPNU are covering as well.
Destin Mcculley needs to attend Iowa
go Hawks!

Latest posts