The current state of IA wrestling

Iowa wrestling is fine. Look at our young talent in the room and In the lineup. Taylor and Ruth from psu are freaks that will be gone after next year. If anything we could use a mark perry or a Kyle dake like assistant coach to develop and recruit some of the non traditional iowa style kids.. Hawk wrestling is fine and still the pride of Iowa. Don't get Greedy!

I think I know my Iowa wrestling prettty well thank you. You seem to be one of those fans that always wants to be negative. How about you GTFO!MCD- lost in the finals to a kid that has already beat him twice. Bad loss but not a surpriseRamos- lost in OT to the Hodge front Runner.Ballweg-He will never beat Hunter. Still made the finals.Dwieza- got beat 3-2 and 3-2 up from 41. Sucks he lost but he wrestled hard not soft.DSJ- Tough loss to Green by a point. Then he pinned Alton and beat Demas for 3rd.Moore- bad loss to Taylor wrestled back tough and lost in ot to Yohn. Hard to beat the same guy 4 times in a year!Evans- Brown is a walking muscle. Evans got out of position for 2 seconds and got caught.Lofthouse- Ruth is a beast. Ethen wrestled his tail off to get 3rdBurak-wrestled well! Nearly got 3rd himself.Telford- got 3rd. Lost to the returning champ by a point.Yeah no champs and getting 3rd place is dissapointing but to say this the most depressing year of Iowa wrestling in 35 years?A lot of positives happend last weekend. I will focus on those. The season isn't over. Everybody has to come to Iowa now in 2 weeks. I am excited and can't wait to cheer on the hawks in Wells

Was there a point to you regurgitating the results from this weekend?

It's difficult to take you seriously when you can't spell or use proper punctuation.

It also sounds like a lot of excuses you're throwing up.

Last edited:
I think this is a pretty limited view of how Gable made Iowa as successful as he did.

Not really. You're simply thinking it's a limited view.

Edit: I don't mean that as a jerk reply. I simply mean that success was one of his biggest motivators.

Last edited:
Well when I typed that up It was separated nicely. However it showed up as one big paragraph. Doesn't help that I am using the browser on my ol' 3G original Android. Sorry if you had trouble comprehending my thoughts Sparky. Carry on now

Thanks for your input. It’s great to get the perspective on recruiting from someone in your area. I’m glad to hear Iowa still has the reputation and luster is has had for so long. I completely agree though we don’t get back to the top soon and Penn State keeps this streak they have going, that luster will soon start to diminish. That’s why I think it is a little more urgent to find a solution the 149 hole. I understand Brands doesn’t typically offer full rides but this is a situation where I think it might be justified to throw top dollar at a stud like McCauley and plug that weight with a true high AA caliber talent. That’s not to say Brands hasn’t done exactly that or pursued other options that have fallen through. Right now it just seems that Cael is getting his #1 target in state almost every single time. That doesn’t mean Iowa can’t go in and get some PA studs as well but if Cael is consistently getting the best of the best, I don’t like our odds. It will be very interesting to see how Penn State performs after Ruth and Taylor are gone and they come back to the rest of the pack.

Like I said, from what I understand Brands has laid some inroads around here and the programs name is fine thus far. I know they are sniffing around this year as well and from what I hear the kid they are looking at is pretty darn fired up about a Iowa offer. These kids (from what I understand) see a Iowa offer as, the best. Now like I said if we don't start getting results..... that starts to fade.

Not really. You're simply thinking it's a limited view.

Edit: I don't mean that as a jerk reply. I simply mean that success was one of his biggest motivators.

No prob. No offense taken.

While I agree that Gable used success as a motivator (and maybe even one of his biggest), I still think that your take misses the nuances that made Gable the legend he was. It wasn't just that he wouldn't accept anything less than being the best. It was also that he knew exactly how to get the most out of every wrestler at an individual level, even when his approach had to vary widely.

Some guys he constantly built up to get their confidence high. Others he rode down and kept them humble and hungry. He was a master with all different types of wrestlers and psyches. And he was an absolute surgeon when it came to analyzing technique that would strengthen his wrestler's performance or find the weakness in their opponents. The guy was a coaching savant in so many ways.

He wasn't just hitting the "championship or bust" button. So much more to him than that.

This team is not soft you are. The most depressing year of watching the Hawks? Really? It was depressing to see the hawks win the regular season BIG title? It was depressing beating Minny and Penn Sate in duals this year? Go cry in the corner by yourself you child. You are like a friend I have that only posts bad things on Facebook about the Iowa basketball team when they lose. But when they win he posts nothing positive, not even an atta boy!

You really need to take off the black and gold glasses cause what he said was SPOT on. Just cause you don't like it doesn't make it true.

I find it amazing how when our wrestling team dosen't perform at what we expect there are people who want to start to take this program apart and look for answers. I realize that it has been 3 years since we have seen the promise land at one of the big tourney's, but lets stop and ask the Okie State fans how long it has been for them since they won a NCAA Title. I am sure that there are people in Oklahoma that would like to see Mr. Smith gone, but the smart people know who is best for that program. They have had their down time but it appears they are back. For the ones who think Brands should take a walk from our storied program, who would you bring in? A rookie head coach?? Look at the top programs in the country or any program in the NCAA for that matter, who would you go after for a head coach? So we are having a bit of a drought right now. What team dosen't these days. wasn't that long ago and Minny wasn't exactly tearing things up either. My advice to those who think we are a lost program is this, go chear for the latest flash in the pan. Storied programs like Iowa, Minny, Okie St all will have off years but they always come back. No one on this forum or any other has a right to tell you that your opinion is right or wrong. we can agree or disagree. But remembr, if you decide to leave and not be a part of our Hawkeye Wrestling Family that is your choice. just don't cry when you try and come back and those of us that stood with our Hawks put you in your place.

You really need to take off the black and gold glasses cause what he said was SPOT on. Just cause you don't like it doesn't make it true.
Well I guess I disagree with both you. I can deal with that. I Love the Hawkeyes!

Oh and I say it how I see it. I don't wear glasses, I have 20/20 vision.

I find it amazing how when our wrestling team dosen't perform at what we expect there are people who want to start to take this program apart and look for answers. I realize that it has been 3 years since we have seen the promise land at one of the big tourney's, but lets stop and ask the Okie State fans how long it has been for them since they won a NCAA Title. I am sure that there are people in Oklahoma that would like to see Mr. Smith gone, but the smart people know who is best for that program. They have had their down time but it appears they are back. For the ones who think Brands should take a walk from our storied program, who would you bring in? A rookie head coach?? Look at the top programs in the country or any program in the NCAA for that matter, who would you go after for a head coach? So we are having a bit of a drought right now. What team dosen't these days. wasn't that long ago and Minny wasn't exactly tearing things up either. My advice to those who think we are a lost program is this, go chear for the latest flash in the pan. Storied programs like Iowa, Minny, Okie St all will have off years but they always come back. No one on this forum or any other has a right to tell you that your opinion is right or wrong. we can agree or disagree. But remembr, if you decide to leave and not be a part of our Hawkeye Wrestling Family that is your choice. just don't cry when you try and come back and those of us that stood with our Hawks put you in your place.

replace Brands with Ferentz and wrestling with football and I think I have seen this argument before

We need to keep it relative guys. I know how high our expectations are, and after 35 years or so of the Iowa wrestling that we and the rest of the nation have seen, they should be high. With that said, maybe it just isnt realistic to expect that anymore. I say this for several reasons:

1. Brands is great, one of the best ever, but there isnt another name like that of Gable(unfortunately maybe 'til Sanderson showed up). Hell, look at John Smith, arguably the best USA international wrestler of all time, and he hasnt been able to keep it up at Okie State( I can assure you all, they too are killing themselves down there wondering how they are going to stop PSU)

2. Lets not kid ourselves, the move 9.9 scholarships evened the playing field a little bit, just like it did when D1 football went from 100 to 85. It limits our ability to stockpile kids for the future while also limiting us from getting in marginal recruits that pan out and turn into all-americans.

3. The previous poster is right. Recruiting is an issue. I remember when Cael signed to go to PSU. It was all about the cash, right?. I recall reading an article that said the year before he showed up(I may be off a little bit) either 5 or 6 of the NCAA champs that year came from within a 5 hour drive of PSU campus. That part of the nation may not produce any better talent than the state of Iowa, it just naturally produces more of it due to its population base. We have done well in Ohio, Penn, New York and New Jersey over the years, but Sanderson's name out there has and will make it more difficult. Some of our best wrestlers came from Caels neck of the woods: the Banachs(new york),Mike Deanna(Ohio), the Heffernans(ohio) just to name a few. But keep in mind, at our peak we recruited who we wanted from wherever we wanted, not just east of Iowa.

4. Its not just PSU that has gotten better. With Gables "coaching family" now reaching most every conference all over the country, other teams have gotten better, and now battle us for recruits as well. Oregon State, Boise State, UNI, over half the Big Ten etc...

5. The talent isnt as spread out as it used to be. At the height of Iowa's dominence( I would say the mid 80's) there were significantly more D1 programs allowing the talent to be spread out(more programs=more scholarship money--also see point 2), where now, with only around 80 D1 programs the top talents have less choices.

I am not making excuses and I too am very frustrated while trying to be realistic. I was there this weekend. My stepson had little league tryouts and he called me to let me know how he did. It was while Ramos and Ballweg were in their semifinal matches. Well, who was in the tunnel right below me? Gable. He was pacing around like he was getting ready to wrestle and at the least, I would say he was "concerned", but in all reality, he looked pis-ed off. Its pretty easy to see that the kind of wrestling we are seeing out of the Hawks isnt the style that Gable wants or is used to. With that said wrestling has changed from even when Brands was in school.

SORRY for the story, but there is a point: About 5 or 6 years ago, we were at a bar in St Louis after the semis and Les Anderson walked up to us and asked us how we were doing. We said fine and we asked him what he thought of the wrestling. In a very frustrated tone, he said, "Well, if a person showed up tonight that didnt know a thing about wrestling and was asked what the sport was all about, he might say, 'that the objective was to grab hold of an ankle and hold on as long as possible'. " That is a true story and it has stuck with me since. My point here is that the sport has changed and along with it the officiating which allows the pace of matches to slow down, working against our style. Many of today's wrestlers(top wrestlers) would have gotten stalled out 20 years ago with all of the "hanging" on that happens. And what I think is happening, is that even though Brands is recruiting kids that fit our style as best as he can, the fact remains, is that most kids are coached this way from an early age now... Or maybe I am just full of crap.

One last thing, I think we will be fine, but 9 NCAA's in a row wont happen again(by anyone). PSU is having their day and we will too again. The "shine" of our program will never rub off in recruits eyes if they continue to come into Carver and see 10 or 15 thousand wrestling fans, so we just need to suck it up and support Brands & Co and whoever they put out on the mat(including our 149 pounder).

Go Hawks!

Great post Bluemolson.

One thing to add, the Hawks wrestled to there seed or better in 8 or 10 weights. The 2 #1 seeds did not get the job done.
McDonough - #1 seed - 2nd
Ramos - #2 seed - 2nd
Ballweg - #3 seed - 2nd
149 - no seed - no place
St. John - #1 - 3rd place
Moore- #4 seed - 4th place
Evans - #2 seed - 2nd place
Lofthouse - #4 seed - 3rd place
Burek - #6 seed -4th place
Telford -#4 seed - 3rd place

I think this topic is a bit offensive I know I am not happy the hawks performances lately but I certainly know their not happy, **** the fans know their not happy. Why push buttons? Trying cant always be success in everyones mind.
lets see how we roll.

go hawks

Where were all these great posters earlier in the season. Love seeing ppl finally post

I was wondering the same thing. It'd be nice to have this much input when things are clicking on all cylinders. I hope everyone sticks around, because the next 10 days are going to be a blast!

I understand the comment about getting more of us posting. I obviously dont post too much, as you can see my numbers. I do read a lot and both respect most of you opinions and enjoy your thoughts. I just dont always have the time to sit down and do what I did last night on a computer and as much as I read on my Iphone, I dont enjoy typing a lot on it. I will try to do better if I think I have something worth saying. :)

Anyway, stay positive, cheer hard in two weeks and go Hawks!

PS: Remember the year that Minnesota beat us in Iowa City(Juergens Stritmatter etc) when they had 10 all-americans and no champs? Well a lot of us thought the NCAA made those scoring changes to help even the playing field, as we traditionally had the most champs. Well, dont count us out yet this year. As a poster said before, we did wrestle to or above most of our seeds and if we do that again at nationals we are going to score some serious points. This could be one of those years where we have one or even no champs, but could have 7 or 8 medals, and if that happens, a lot of things are possible....Just a thought.

I understand the comment about getting more of us posting. I obviously dont post too much, as you can see my numbers. I do read a lot and both respect most of you opinions and enjoy your thoughts. I just dont always have the time to sit down and do what I did last night on a computer and as much as I read on my Iphone, I dont enjoy typing a lot on it. I will try to do better if I think I have something worth saying. :)

Anyway, stay positive, cheer hard in two weeks and go Hawks!

PS: Remember the year that Minnesota beat us in Iowa City(Juergens Stritmatter etc) when they had 10 all-americans and no champs? Well a lot of us thought the NCAA made those scoring changes to help even the playing field, as we traditionally had the most champs. Well, dont count us out yet this year. As a poster said before, we did wrestle to or above most of our seeds and if we do that again at nationals we are going to score some serious points. This could be one of those years where we have one or even no champs, but could have 7 or 8 medals, and if that happens, a lot of things are possible....Just a thought.

BINGO!

Where were all these great posters earlier in the season. Love seeing ppl finally post
It feels like there is just more over on Hawkeyereport for posters with knowledge about what is going on. That and I forgot my login at home for this site and have been too lazy to find it, so I can only post at work.

Latest posts