The Chronicles of Rudock

The problem isn't his arm, it is his timing.

Both of those balls went 50 yards in the air. The problem is he hung on to both of them a split second too long. That is definitely coachable.

agreed on the deep balls....the outs, those are different...and probably still a timing issue as he had a couple extra hops in there

Vandenberg SUCKED. He had a strong arm. And nothing else.

Rudock is vastly superior to Vandenberg in every other facet.

However, the arm strength is a huge problem. It limits the offense. Maybe he is the best option. I'm arguing that we need to see the other guys with stronger arms to know if that is the case.

Arm strength wasn't really the issue, timing and lack of pocket presence was. That and one very poor decision. Rudock is a winner he just needs to be allowed to play football the way he is capable of playing. We need him to move the chains with his feet more, and throw deep down the middle more. If you look at the throw when he overthrew Powell, he has enough Gun to do what needs to be done, Brad Banks didn't have a great arm and he is in our HOF.

Wasn't it Dan McGwire who had some super-strong laser cannon that could spray the ball over 70 yards with both of his knees on the ground? His Wikipedia page claims he threw two touchdowns in the NFL, so he must have had a really strong arm.

Oh please. Getting drafted in the first round by Seattle has been the kiss of death for many aspiring NFL careers. Hate the game, not the player, brah.

Two annoying myths about athletic development:

1. You can't coach speed.
2. You can't coach arm strength.

Both can be vastly improved with added strength and proper mechanical form. Now, maybe Rudock's at the peak of his potential arm strength, but based on his build, I would guess that by adding 20-40 good pounds over the next 2 years, his arm strength will go improve quite a bit.

Both can be vastly improved with added strength and proper mechanical form. Now, maybe Rudock's at the peak of his potential arm strength, but based on his build, I would guess that by adding 20-40 good pounds over the next 2 years, his arm strength will go improve quite a bit.

There's a limit though, especially with speed. It's a cliche that gets overused, I'll grant you. But you've either got Percy Harvin speed, or you don't. Because once you get into that ballpark, it's incredibly difficult to make improvements. You can get a guy who runs a 4.7 down to 4.5 a lot easier than you can get a guy who runs a 4.5 down to a 4.3.

His arm isn't weak and it's not lacking. It is strong enough. He could throw it further than he did. The larger issue is timing. He holds the ball just a bit too long. BTW You can have a so so arm strength and still be great.

... Powell actually slowed a bit as if he expected it to be thrown short and then couldn't catch up. ...
Ponder that. The issue is that Powell has been practicing w/ the 2s which means the majority of his snaps have been w/ the backup QBs. The Kids day practice proves the point, there was some chemistry between Sokal and Powell. Maybe even synergy and they looked good together. As Powell picks up the playbook I can see him getting more reps in practice w/ JR. That should equal better outcomes on the field down the stretch. It's a two way street and there will come a point when JR will know when to throw and where to throw and DP will know how fast to run and to where.

he overthrew said receiver once.

kind of kills your whole argument doesn't it?

He didn't overthrow the receiver. The receiver slowed down. Had he kept running it was an easy TD. That weak arm tossed a perfect pass 50+ yards in the air. Sucks being a moron doesn't it.

Uh, hasn't he been in Doyle's program for going on three years? When shall we expect this magical transformation? Also, my premise about Rudock's arm strength is based on comments by journalists who cover Iowa and coaches and other evaluators, including some on this site. I'm not basing it on a couple of throws. I hope I'm wrong and it's just timing. I hope Ferentz is in fact playing the best QB. And I hope GDGD removed that GD pick six out pattern from his already suspect play book.

Yes accuracy is paramount. I'm not arguing that it isn't. As far as Tate is concerned, his arm was stronger before his injury. The point here is that if you're gonna run bomb routes (of which I highly approve) you better be playing the QB best suited to delivering lest it turn into a defacto punt.

Uh, hasn't he been in Doyle's program for going on three years? When shall we expect this magical transformation? Also, my premise about Rudock's arm strength is based on comments by journalists who cover Iowa and coaches and other evaluators, including some on this site. I'm not basing it on a couple of throws. I hope I'm wrong and it's just timing. I hope Ferentz is in fact playing the best QB. And I hope GDGD removed that GD pick six out pattern from his already suspect play book.

Yes accuracy is paramount. I'm not arguing that it isn't. As far as Tate is concerned, his arm was stronger before his injury. The point here is that if you're gonna run bomb routes (of which I highly approve) you better be playing the QB best suited to delivering lest it turn into a defacto punt.

With improved timing, I'm fairly confident Rudock will be chucking deep balls very reminiscent of Stanzi's. Stanzi's passes tended to float through the air a lot. Great touch passer, but he wasn't ever going to rocket a ball past defenders.

As many have suggested timing, accuracy and decision making are a much more tell-tale sign of success for a QB opposed to arm strength alone. I believe Jake showed a lot of poise and quality decision making overall considering it was his first real game action without a red jersey or vs an opposing team since I believe something like December of 2010 (off-topic but many on here are skeptical about Uthoff's immediate impact in BBall for very similar reasons). Sure there were a couple of poor throws and not every ball was a tight spiral but he showed me enough that I am cautiously optimistic. I think the double-clutching and little crow hops will soon become a thing of the past as he settles in and the "norm" will be a guy who can not only buy a little time in the pocket but can also be effective throwing on the run which can become a huge asset if we ever see the resurgence of our tight ends on those 3rd and shorts or simply tuck and run for a first down. Jake also had the presence of mind to throw one away last week rather than give up lost yardage on a sack. Finally, I've seen throws with decent zip on them followed almost immediately with more of a touch/finesse pass so he has the ability but it may be a bumpy ride these first couple of weeks.

Just for fun even though I know this isn't Apples to Apples...

HS Bio vs Big Ten Top 25 (1956-2012)
passing yards (2,827) vs (3985) - Drew Brees (1st), (3738) - Hartlieb (5th), (3136) Billy Dicken (25th-Purdue)
touchdown passes (36) vs (39) - Drew Brees (1st), (26) - Banks/Long (9th), (25) - Stanzi/Vandenberg (11th)
completion percentage (65%) vs (73.51%) - Dan Persa (1st), (67.08%) - Long (7th), (65.49%) - McCann (14th), (65.37%) - Rogers (15th), (64.97%) - Hartlieb (22nd)
efficiency rating (210%) vs (191.78%) - Russell Wilson (1st), (157.63%) - Stanzi (13th), (157.12%) - Banks (14th), (156.71%) - Hartlieb (15th), (156.45%) - Long (16th)

It is probably time you cut your losses on this thread.

On the overthrow of Powell, Rudock released the ball on his 32/33 yard line and the ball landed at the 10 yard line. 57/58 yards, that would seem to me to be plenty of arm strength to get it done at the D1 level.

No he isn't some big armed JV. I would take a guy who makes good decisions, reads defenses well, and delivers an accurate and catchable ball, over the rocket arm JV any day.

No one is going to be able to "disprove" your opinion, so you can go ahead and put that strawman away at your earliest convenience.

How about we let the kid play another game or two before deciding he doesn't have the goods?

No one will change his opinion because he's a know-it-all, but plenty of people have disproven it. As many have said already, the issue is the timing of the pass on the deep routes not the strength of the throw. Does anyone think this might have something to do with the fact Powell has only been in Iowa City for like 6 weeks now? Not to mention he's the fastest guy on the team which would make it more challenging to get the timing between QB and WR down.

He simply made a bad read on the throw to the sideline that cost the Hawks the game.

Thunder is just looking for more crap to complain about. Let him vent if wants to. Until he brings some substance to the discussion it will only be considered as whining.

I always wondered what happened after the end of the movie when the one sci-fi babe was all like "you keep what you kill....." and the camera panned over the weird death-obsessed army of Hawkeye fans who had just lost to Northern Illinois for the second year in a row. I hear they are rebooting the whole thing next week with the babe from BSG and some dark planet with scary monsters and the guy with the deep voice going "are you afraid of the dark" when its all in outer space which is already scary enough.

He does have an issue with the long ball. He CAN get it there but to do so he has to give it everything he has and can't put any touch on the pass. So if the WR is 5 yards behind the defense and streaking downfield then Rudock and let it fly and float it a bit and have the WR run under it.

But, if the the WR only has a step and he has to drop it right in there way downfield? Not happening, either way too long or too short.

He does have an issue with the long ball. He CAN get it there but to do so he has to give it everything he has and can't put any touch on the pass. So if the WR is 5 yards behind the defense and streaking downfield then Rudock and let it fly and float it a bit and have the WR run under it.

But, if the the WR only has a step and he has to drop it right in there way downfield? Not happening, either way too long or too short.

You must be some kind of savant bince you picked all that up from his first and only game.

So, the prerequisite for being the starting QB at Iowa is that he has to be elite? Being able to put touch to drop a ball in on a closely defended receiver more than 50 yards downfield is not something just any QB can do. For other QB's that's simply a throw you don't make.

His arm isn't weak and it's not lacking. It is strong enough. He could throw it further than he did. The larger issue is timing. He holds the ball just a bit too long. BTW You can have a so so arm strength and still be great.

If you are correct, and I hope like hell you are, I will gladly feast on a plate of crow.

So, the prerequisite for being the starting QB at Iowa is that he has to be elite? Being able to put touch to drop a ball in on a closely defended receiver more than 50 yards downfield is not something just any QB can do. For other QB's that's simply a throw you don't make.

The question I'm asking is whether there's a guy on Iowa's roster who CAN make that pass assuming (and it appears to be the case) that such a play call is in the repertoire. Can Rudock make that pass if that play is called? That's the question I'm asking, because I kept hearing in the lead up to the season that Rudock didn't have the strongest arm but had other leadership qualities that won him the job.

I LIKE Rudock. I like that he's a real student athlete and that he handled the pressure of his first start. I'm just asking the question, based on the evaluations of people supposedly in the know, whether he can execute what seems to be a pretty deadly long ball play to Powell.

Am I exiled TavernHok for asking the F'n question?

Latest posts