The Big Ten is Dead

The B1G as you want it is dead. The B1G in reality is stronger and more relevant than ever.
This is a better way to say it. The statement you made before about conferences being obsolete was hyperbolic. The commissions of the Big10 and SEC are, in reality, the most powerful men in college sports right now. More so than the NCAA President.

Interesting idea.
I don't hate this at all. We would need to add 2 more teams. I would still do pods of 5. You play your pod every year and then rotate the other 3 pods so you play everyone every four years, but you preserve yearly the regional rivalry games (plus, Iowa's division would be so weak!)

Founders Division:

West: Iowa, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Illinois, NW
East: Ohio State, Michigan, MSU, Purdue, Indiana

Legacy Division:

West: USC, UCLA, Washington, Oregon, Stanford
East: Penn State, Rutgers, Maryland, Nebraska, Notre Dame

I
I don't hate this at all. We would need to add 2 more teams. I would still do pods of 5. You play your pod every year and then rotate the other 3 pods so you play everyone every four years, but you preserve yearly the regional rivalry games (plus, Iowa's division would be so weak!)

Founders Division:

Legacy Division:

I really like that.

Founders Division:

Legacy Division:

I think ultimately the B1G and SEC end up each with 24 teams after the ACC dies in 5-8 years. And they get grouped into 4 - 6 team PODs:

West: All the teams you mention plus Cal
MidWest: All the West teams you mention plus Nebby
MidEast: All the East teams mention plus ND
East: PSU, Rut, MD, Virg, UNC, 1 of FSU/GT/BC/Duke

How about we scrap these stupid NCAA "conferences" and adopt the NFL regional and scheduling models?

Stops poaching.
Maintains regional interest.
Provides more money than ever before.

C'mon NCAA, get your head out of the sand (again).

Founders Division:

Legacy Division:

I really like this one.

I think ultimately the B1G and SEC end up each with 24 teams after the ACC dies in 5-8 years. And they get grouped into 4 - 6 team PODs:

West: All the teams you mention plus Cal
MidWest: All the West teams you mention plus Nebby
MidEast: All the East teams mention plus ND
East: PSU, Rut, MD, Virg, UNC, 1 of FSU/GT/BC/Duke
Interesting. This option and North’s make a lot of sense. Creative.

How about we scrap these stupid NCAA "conferences" and adopt the NFL regional and scheduling models?

Stops poaching.

Huh? What does the NCAA have to do with the conferences? The conferences predate the NCAA. Also, the NCAA has had only a marginal influence on Division I football for quite some time. The conference commissioners, especially the Big10 and the SEC, run college football. If the NCAA came to the conferences and demanded to do what you suggest, the conferences with laugh in the face of the NCAA president and tell him to take a long walk on a short pier.

Huh? What does the NCAA have to do with the conferences? The conferences predate the NCAA. Also, the NCAA has had only a marginal influence on Division I football for quite some time. The conference commissioners, especially the Big10 and the SEC, run college football. If the NCAA came to the conferences and demanded to do what you suggest, the conferences with laugh in the face of the NCAA president and tell him to take a long walk on a short pier.
Ok ok.

The commissioners need to quit poaching each other and adopt the NFL regional and scheduling. All that is happening now is dilution due to ego and greed.

So yes, would the cf world would need one commissioner, yes. Likely to happen, who knows.

My point: this current cannibalism is short sited and silly.

Ok ok.

The commissioners need to quit poaching each other and adopt the NFL regional and scheduling. All that is happening now is dilution due to ego and greed.

So yes, would the cf world would need one commissioner, yes. Likely to happen, who knows.

My point: this current cannibalism is short sited and silly.
Neither the Big10 or the SEC commishs are going to cede any power here. They are basically like two mob bosses that control different parts of the city. They don't control the other, but there are mutual interests.

Your wish is about to come true. Once the SEC raids what it wants from the ACC, there will be nothing left than anyone wants. I think the Big 12 is set. It has what it wants. The four remaining schools in the Pac12 will merge with the Mountain West, ACC, or some combination thereof. At best, the Big Ten takes Notre Dame and a partner, but it doesn't seem that is happening, so I think the Big 10 stays at 18.

The ACC (Clemson, Florida, Miami, maybe NC) are all that is left than anyone might want. Should stabilize after that.

2 mega conferences (Big10 and SEC)
1 ok conferences (Big 12)
And likely, two used to be something but are now barely ok conferences (ACC and Pac Mountain West)

I prefer the divisionless approach but if you must have divisions, how about 3 divisions?

North division
Wash, Ore, Neb, Iowa, Minn, Wisc

South division
USC, UCLA, ILL, NW, Pur, Ind

East division
MSU, Mich, Ohio St, PSU, Rut, MD

Then all the west coast schools would have fixed protected cross-overs.

Of course whether you are talking 2 or 3 divisions, TV networks would hate it. They want USC playing Ohio St and Mich as much as possible.
Don't know how they won't have to add 2 more teams and go to 4 divisions. Keeping regional games and a few cross-over games, one from each division and then playoffs. They just won't be able to set up the dream match-ups every year. Adding one team from the West and one from the East will balance out the teams. Unless of course ND becomes available. I'm sure the networks will pony up the extra money to convince the right teams to join. In the end, I don't see it being much different, probable drop State and have an East and West coast trip once a year.

Stops poaching.

How is it going to stop poaching? We,, I guess the major realignment will be done in a couple weeks.

Also, how will it provide more $$? College football is already the #1 revenue and most teams play in a market (TV). How just being in a NFL model or scheduling increases revenue even more? It's already there in my eyes. The money is already there, the conferences are just poaching and realigning to shift the $$$ to their conference.

Neither the Big10 or the SEC commishs are going to cede any power here. They are basically like two mob bosses that control different parts of the city. They don't control the other, but there are mutual interests.

Your wish is about to come true. Once the SEC raids what it wants from the ACC, there will be nothing left than anyone wants. I think the Big 12 is set. It has what it wants. The four remaining schools in the Pac12 will merge with the Mountain West, ACC, or some combination thereof. At best, the Big Ten takes Notre Dame and a partner, but it doesn't seem that is happening, so I think the Big 10 stays at 18.

The ACC (Clemson, Florida, Miami, maybe NC) are all that is left than anyone might want. Should stabilize after that.

2 mega conferences (Big10 and SEC)
1 ok conferences (Big 12)
And likely, two used to be something but are now barely ok conferences (ACC and Pac Mountain West)

Yes, it is about done because there is nothing else to move.

Latest posts