The "Best in the Nest" Final Four is...

I know it's all in fun but damn it feels dirty to me that an White and or Woolrodge could make it to the finals.

Finals Matchup for me is Roy Marble vs Ronnie Lester. Hands down voting over!!

What a joke! No Freddie Brown, Kevin Kunnert, John Johnson, Sam Williams etc... Williams won the Silver Basketball as the best player in the Big Ten. Brown, Johnson & Williams have rings. Plus, Calabria & Vidnovic have multiple rings. The only player who won anything is Lester. A playoff among losers!

What a joke! No Freddie Brown, Kevin Kunnert, John Johnson, Sam Williams etc... Williams won the Silver Basketball as the best player in the Big Ten. Brown, Johnson & Williams have rings. Plus, Calabria & Vidnovic have multiple rings. The only player who won anything is Lester. A playoff among losers!

How many 60+ years olds.do u think are on here...much less vote for this???

How many 60+ years olds.do u think are on here...much less vote for this???

It is sad that only 60+ people remember how great Iowa basketball used to be. When Lute left, the Iowa program was considered as good or better than Kansas. Thirty-three years of mediocrity at best since then. It is very depressing that younger people don't have memories like mine.

By far & away, the four best Iowa basketball players I've ever seen play are Brown, Johnson, Lester & Williams. Put Kunnert in at center & Vidnovic as sixth man & that is my all time Hawkeye team. Caveat: I never saw Carl Cain & Don Nelson play.

Last edited:

I agree. I understand with how these brackets were set up that it comes down to this, but come on White is not on the same playing level as those mentioned above. It doesn't take a life-long Hawkeye fan to understand this, just reading up on a little Hawkeye history and watching a few old videos will tell you that.

Not completely off the subject; the people that say that Michael Jordan was the greatest that ever played. Maybe he was, but how can you say that if know you nothing about Bill Russell, Elgin Baylor, Wilt.....even Dr. J in his ABA prime?

Last edited:
I agree. I understand with how these brackets were set up that it comes down to this, but come on White is not on the same playing level as those mentioned above. It doesn't take an life-long Hawkeye fan to understand this, just reading up on a little Hawkeye history and watching a few old videos will tell you that.

Not completely off the subject; the people that say that Michael Jordan was the greatest that ever played. Maybe he was, but how can you say that if know nothing about Bill Russell, Elgin Baylor, Wilt.....even Dr. J in his ABA prime?

Or Jerry West!

Woolridge I can sort of maybe understand. White no. Marble had one hell of a supporting cast. Lester hands down, but others should be final 4.

Well you could see at the very beginning this was the direction when bracketed and seeded in this manner. Would have been cool to see it seeded by top 64 to get a true "Best of the Nest"

I would say 2 out of the 4 are there.

I agree. I understand with how these brackets were set up that it comes down to this, but come on White is not on the same playing level as those mentioned above. It doesn't take a life-long Hawkeye fan to understand this, just reading up on a little Hawkeye history and watching a few old videos will tell you that.

Not completely off the subject; the people that say that Michael Jordan was the greatest that ever played. Maybe he was, but how can you say that if know you nothing about Bill Russell, Elgin Baylor, Wilt.....even Dr. J in his ABA prime?

<<even Dr. J in his ABA prime>>

During that time, Dr. J was the best player in BOTH leagues. He was pretty much THE reason the NBA was so open to the merger and willing to take so many of the ABA teams.

Who would be the other two Hawks in your ideal Final Four?

What is the goal of the Best of the Nest? Was it to determine the Greatest Hawk of All-Time? Because if that is the case no way this format could accurately achieve that.

Edit: I just read the goal of this Best of the Nest. It is to find out who is the greatest Basketball to ever wear the Hawkeye Uniform. Well I'm sorry to say this but what an EPIC FAIL. The format of breaking down by era doesn't allow that to happen..

One notable missing would be is Herb Wilkerson but my guess is he was omitted because of the fact he played in the 40's. However he Probably Top 10 in All-Time greats and some may argue lower..

White and Woolridge in the final 4 is laughable. They probably not in the Top 15 of the greatest players to ever wear the Hawkeye Uniform.

Last edited:
Lester, Fred Brown, John Johnson, Sam Williams. Maybe picking a starting 5 is the way to go.

If that is the case; Lester, Cain, Johnson, Kunnert, R. Marble,
2nd Team; S. Williams, Brown, Vic the Stick, Nelson, M. Payne (I think he was underrated)

It may not be THE List, but it is mine.

OHHHHHH Yeaaaaaah!Wild Bull Pumfus should be on that list
PWI_045.jpg
GRRRRRRRRRRR!

Latest posts