The Anyone but Kentucky or Kansas Sweet 16 Thread

You might want to throw NC State over University of "Phi Slamma Jamma" Houston in there, as well. NObody saw that coming. And that team had nine lives in their first game, alone, vs. Pepperdine.
That team had some Houdini acts just to get into the dance. And they needed the automatic bid just to get in. You're right, Pepperdine had them absolutely dead to rights. Their whole postseason run was nothing short of surreal. It was the equivalent of a hockey team pulling the goalie with ten minutes to go game after game and getting away with it every time.

Wisconsin Academy. His natural position is probably between two and three. Obviously in AAU most players play multiple positions. Anything that doesn't have to do with Barnstormers is a good thing right now.
What tournaments are you guys going to? Maybe we can meet at one of them.

What tournaments are you guys going to? Maybe we can meet at one of them.
I believe they're all in Wisconsin. There's a big tournament at Loras in early June but I don't think our team is in it. We are, however, in Cedar Rapids and the Quad Cities this summer for traveling baseball.

Sounds busy but we have a graduating daughter (Whitewater bound) and a son in the military. We're down to one in the house. It's a beautiful thing.

I hope Loyola keeps winning. But I had Villanova beating Duke in the finals before the brackets came out. So I have that happening in the Final 4 instead. I don't think any team from the other side can beat either of these teams. There have been some really fun games to watch this year...being a neutral observer pulling for the underdog most of the time.

These 2 teams look like the best 2 in the field. I’ll give the edge to Nova over Duke.

I believe they're all in Wisconsin. There's a big tournament at Loras in early June but I don't think our team is in it. We are, however, in Cedar Rapids and the Quad Cities this summer for traveling baseball.

Sounds busy but we have a graduating daughter (Whitewater bound) and a son in the military. We're down to one in the house. It's a beautiful thing.
We have tournaments in Indianapolis, Lawrence, St. Louis, Omaha, Minneapolis, Minneapolis, Kansas City and Vegas. Busy, busy summer for me.

Loyola = interchangable parts on d.
Makes them effective.
Know their sets and spots on O
Loyola is playing team offense and defense.

KState is playing hero ball and being ripped apart defensively because Loyola is playing team offense.

We have tournaments in Indianapolis, Lawrence, St. Louis, Omaha, Minneapolis, Minneapolis, Kansas City and Vegas. Busy, busy summer for me.
You sound like you certainly will be busy. Your team sounds like it's an elite team, Barnstormers level. Our Academy team is not their elite, but the next step down. It's still a solid team and still an excellent experience.

That team had some Houdini acts just to get into the dance. And they needed the automatic bid just to get in. You're right, Pepperdine had them absolutely dead to rights. Their whole postseason run was nothing short of surreal. It was the equivalent of a hockey team pulling the goalie with ten minutes to go game after game and getting away with it every time.

I'll never forget watching that Pepperdine game where the broadcast guys kept saying how Sidney Lowe's college career was going to end in a first-round loss. He fouled out in regulation, when they were on the ropes. Then they were on the ropes in each OT period before pulling it out near the end.

The other remarkable thing was how they had to take out Ralph Sampson and Virginia twice, in ACC conference tournament final AND the regional final.

I'll never forget watching that Pepperdine game where the broadcast guys kept saying how Sidney Lowe's college career was going to end in a first-round loss. He fouled out in regulation, when they were on the ropes. Then they were on the ropes in each OT period before pulling it out near the end.

The other remarkable thing was how they had to take out Ralph Sampson and Virginia twice, in ACC conference tournament final AND the regional final.
The key to understanding NCState's improbable run is that the double bonus didn't exist back then. You could foul til eternity and it would remain one and one. I don't know if a stat can verify it but I have to believe the pressure of shooting the front end of a one and one knocks at least ten percentage points off most shooter's free throw percentages.

In the conference tournament, Sam Perkins had a game winning shot attempt go halfway down and spin out. In other games key front ends were missed-multiple times. Cozell McQueen had a loose ball get knocked to him right under the basket to win another game. Pepperdine, UNLV, Virginia, none of them could consistently hit free throws when they had a chance to ice the game.

In the NCAA championship game Clyde Drexler picked up three first half fouls. Guy Lewis gambled. Drexler soon picked up a fourth. We all know what happened at the end-it's a part of NCAA lore.

In their nine game run, NC State had one easy game. In the other eight they were tied or behind with less than a minute to go. And they won every single one of them. Even more impressive than what Loyola has done this year. It may never happen again. And it may have been the vanguard of adding the double bonus rule.

The key to understanding NCState's improbable run is that the double bonus didn't exist back then. You could foul til eternity and it would remain one and one. I don't know if a stat can verify it but I have to believe the pressure of shooting the front end of a one and one knocks at least ten percentage points off most shooter's free throw percentages.

In the conference tournament, Sam Perkins had a game winning shot attempt go halfway down and spin out. In other games key front ends were missed-multiple times. Cozell McQueen had a loose ball get knocked to him right under the basket to win another game. Pepperdine, UNLV, Virginia, none of them could consistently hit free throws when they had a chance to ice the game.

In the NCAA championship game Clyde Drexler picked up three first half fouls. Guy Lewis gambled. Drexler soon picked up a fourth. We all know what happened at the end-it's a part of NCAA lore.

In their nine game run, NC State had one easy game. In the other eight they were tied or behind with less than a minute to go. And they won every single one of them. Even more impressive than what Loyola has done this year. It may never happen again. And it may have been the vanguard of adding the double bonus rule.

Wasn't there a game before that featuring Phi Slamma Jamma vs The Doctors of Dunk.....

We all were wound up over that collision at the time.....

:cool:

Didn't even think about the one-and-one vs. double bonus aspect. In 1981, DePaul died--literally--missing the front end of a one-and-one with six seconds left. But St. Joseph's coach played it brilliantly, eschewing the time out and, instead, going right down to score and leaving DePaul no time to set a defense OR get the ball back for a return score.

Wasn't there a game before that featuring Phi Slamma Jamma vs The Doctors of Dunk.....

We all were wound up over that collision at the time.....

:cool:

That game was non-stop, and Houston just ran Louisville off their feet. Much was said about Drexler and the starting five, but Houston had a guy off the bench named Benny Anders--who almost picked off the last NCSU pass to Dereck Wittenburg in the championship game--that LIVED to run and dunk.

154614390.jpg.0.jpg

UniqueSmiles_SMM_20171101_austin-powers.jpg

TOP 12 in the B10..........YA BABY!!!!!

That right there is some funny stuff even if it is mean as hell.

You sound like you certainly will be busy. Your team sounds like it's an elite team, Barnstormers level. Our Academy team is not their elite, but the next step down. It's still a solid team and still an excellent experience.
We've got both elite and developmental. I prefer the developmental side, actually but I work both.

It is too bad that Loyola Chicago has to play Michigan next. That would have made for a fun and guaranteed no cheaters National Championship.

This Duke team is like some of Calipari's Kentucky teams in recent years; absolutely loaded with talented freshmen but lacking experience other than the Day Tripper.

Didn't even think about the one-and-one vs. double bonus aspect. In 1981, DePaul died--literally--missing the front end of a one-and-one with six seconds left. But St. Joseph's coach played it brilliantly, eschewing the time out and, instead, going right down to score and leaving DePaul no time to set a defense OR get the ball back for a return score.
Can't be 37 freaking years ago, is that possible. Skip Dillard, an 85% free throw shooter who's life would soon take a much darker turn, missed the front end. DePaul's defense was in total disarray, some in man, some in zone. St. Joe's made the layup and, according to legend, Mark Aguirre, with the ball in his hand, walked straight out of the arena back to the hotel. When he crossed a bridge in downtown Dayton, still in uniform, he punted the game ball into the river. Two more interesting points about this game and day.

It was in Dayton on the same floor where Ronnie Lester was first hurt his senior year.

It was one of at least four buzzer beaters in one afternoon. Future NBA star Rolando Blackmon (Kansas State) knocked out Oregon State at the buzzer in former Iowa coach Ralph Miller's last tournament appearance. Arkansas U S Reed knocked out defending champion Louisville with a shot from half court. And Danny Ainge of BYU knocked out Notre Dame with his epic full court dash to the rim and finish. Skip Bayless once called it the true birth of March Madness. It would get even madder for Iowa the next day when they played Wichita State in a game that's been mentioned before.

Can't be 37 freaking years ago, is that possible. Skip Dillard, an 85% free throw shooter who's life would soon take a much darker turn, missed the front end. DePaul's defense was in total disarray, some in man, some in zone. St. Joe's made the layup and, according to legend, Mark Aguirre, with the ball in his hand, walked straight out of the arena back to the hotel. When he crossed a bridge in downtown Dayton, still in uniform, he punted the game ball into the river. Two more interesting points about this game and day.

It was in Dayton on the same floor where Ronnie Lester was first hurt his senior year.

It was one of at least four buzzer beaters in one afternoon. Future NBA star Rolando Blackmon (Kansas State) knocked out Oregon State at the buzzer in former Iowa coach Ralph Miller's last tournament appearance. Arkansas U S Reed knocked out defending champion Louisville with a shot from half court. And Danny Ainge of BYU knocked out Notre Dame with his epic full court dash to the rim and finish. Skip Bayless once called it the true birth of March Madness. It would get even madder for Iowa the next day when they played Wichita State in a game that's been mentioned before.

That US Reed shot was epic!