The Anyone but Kentucky or Kansas Sweet 16 Thread

Gotcha. If anything I got a little too self righteous. There are other posters here who will devolve threads into pissing matches. I'm not one of them. BTW what grade do you coach and do you ever get up to Just A Game in the Dells? If it's incoming eighth graders you may play my son's team.

I'm heading to LaCrosse in about two hours for GNBL state tournament. It gets real this weekend.
I'm not above the pissing match fray. And I can be very abrasive arguing my opinion. That doesn't change the fact that I'm not to be taken too seriously. It's an anonymous message board, after all.

I'm not one for long pissing matches, especially when I'm pretty much in agreement with the other poster. If I can't get my point across within two or three posts than I didn't have a pot to piss in in the first place. See yesterday's Bartman discussion in another thread for evidence. If anyone wants to get too cute I got 40 years of very accurate long term recall to fall back on. You (lightning) and I are probably going to be on the same side about 90% of the time anyway. My style just isn't as abrasive but no less right or wrong. That's why I respect posters when I converse with them.

If you ever get up to Just A Game we may not be so anonymous. I've watched too much basketball and volleyball up there.

That's why you absolutely MUST coach good defense. Good defense can win games when shots don't fall. Michigan beat us in spite of their 15% 3 pt shooting. They held us to 41% from 2FG and 30% from 3FG.
If Evan Richard played good defense, he would have played for Bo Ryan. Instead he got lost in the shuffle at UW Milwaukee and ended up with back issues anyway. Evan played at my kids high school in Cuba City about eight, nine years ago. He combined Gessell's hops with Bohannan's shooting ability. Hell, he could get up higher than Mike. He was the best player to come out of this area since Sam Okey. He ran with Madison Swing's top AAU team with Josh Gasser and Vander Blue. He would have been a natural Badger, or Hawkeye. He had epic battles with current Cincinnati Bengal Alex Erickson in high school. If he was 6'4 or 6'5 you would have never heard of Eric May. Instead, most of you probably have never heard of Evan Richard. Because he didn't play defense.

I bet 5656 has heard of him. I'll bet he has all his stats.

If Evan Richard played good defense, he would have played for Bo Ryan. Instead he got lost in the shuffle at UW Milwaukee and ended up with back issues anyway. Evan played at my kids high school in Cuba City about eight, nine years ago. He combined Gessell's hops with Bohannan's shooting ability. Hell, he could get up higher than Mike. He was the best player to come out of this area since Sam Okey. He ran with Madison Swing's top AAU team with Josh Gasser and Vander Blue. He would have been a natural Badger, or Hawkeye. He had epic battles with current Cincinnati Bengal Alex Erickson in high school. If he was 6'4 or 6'5 you would have never heard of Eric May. Instead, most of you probably have never heard of Evan Richard. Because he didn't play defense.

Cuba City! I love the East Dubuque area. I've golfed Birchwood many times actually. Good people up there!

I hope Loyola keeps winning. But I had Villanova beating Duke in the finals before the brackets came out. So I have that happening in the Final 4 instead. I don't think any team from the other side can beat either of these teams. There have been some really fun games to watch this year...being a neutral observer pulling for the underdog most of the time.

Beautiful course. The most fun I've ever had shopping was at the Kieler Mall too haha!
You gotta go to Gooch's Greenhouse in Kieler for pizza and grub food. He coaches my son's middle school traveling team. Hint to the uninformed: You don't go to the Kieler Mall to shop. But it's open well into the night, know what I'm sayin'?

Last edited:
I hope Loyola keeps winning. But I had Villanova beating Duke in the finals before the brackets came out. So I have that happening in the Final 4 instead. I don't think any team from the other side can beat either of these teams. There have been some really fun games to watch this year...being a neutral observer pulling for the underdog most of the time.
I didn't fill out a bracket this year but I figured Virginia vs Villanova in the title game.

You gotta go to Gooch's Greenhouse in Kieler for pizza and grub food. He coaches my son's middle school traveling team. Hint to the uninformed: You don't go to the Kieler Mall to shop. But it's open well into the night, know what I'm sayin'?

I'll never swing through time without getting some pizza from Gooch's. I'm not a Miller Lite drinker but I am every time I'm in that area haha.

I really liked Sam Okey. He was a man among men. Shame that we only had him for one season. If he hadn't been injured in the Minnesota game, we might have gone a bit farther Mr. Davis's last season. Loved his style and attitude. Wild Man.....

Also really liked watching Sam Dekker play,,,,,.

:cool:

Last edited:
At the start of the Nevada-Loyola game it loo:cool:ked like a tribe of dwarves in the Land of the Giants.....

Excellent game. Hadn't watched Nevada all season. Wish I had. They are an excellent team and fun to watch. Northside was right.....

Loyola Chicago has the best teamwork and execution of the tournament. They are a joy to watch. The way basketball is meant to be played. Their defensive teamwork was outstanding.....

Perhaps this is the year that Cinderella becomes the King of the ball. The 1963 Loyola Ramblers, coached by George Ireland, beat Cincinnati in OT. One of the biggest upsets in Tournament History. Along with Texas Western beating Vanilla Kentucky and Villanova beating Georgetown. Long shot but we could have a Villanova-Loyola Championship game.....

Love the little nun.....

I really liked Sam Okey. He was a man among men. Shame that we only had him for one season. If he hadn't been injured in the Minnesota game, we might have gone a bit farther Mr. Davis's last season. Loved his style and attitude. Wild Man.....

Also really liked watching Sam Dekker play,,,,,.

Was at the Kohl when Dekker won a state championship with a memorable three point shot. Ten minutes later he was named Mr. Basketball. Cuba City played Dominican next. Dominican had Duane Wilson and Diamond Stone. There was no need for last second heroics in that game.

Okey lasted five games at Iowa. He wasn't eligible until midseason, then the aforementioned broken hand vs Minnesota. He liked Davis' system, and when Bennett came in before he started his freshman year he really liked Davis' system. I think, like so many other small town heroes, there was pressure on him to stay in state. He was a speciman. He tore up AAU leagues. Settles and Kingsbury practically lived in Cassville in the summer before his senior year trying to sell the Hawks.

At the start of the Nevada-Loyola game it looked like a tribe of dwarves in the Land of the Giants.....

Excellent game. Hadn't watched Nevada all season. Wish I had. They are an excellent team and fun to watch. Northside was right.....

Couldn't keep the Martin twins straight, but they are the goods, fun to watch and both seem capable of playing in the next tier.....

Loyola Chicago has the best teamwork and execution of the tournament. They are a joy to watch. The way basketball is meant to be played. Their defensive teamwork was outstanding.....

Perhaps this is the year that Cinderella becomes the King of the ball. The 1963 Loyola Ramblers, coached by George Ireland, beat Cincinnati in OT. One of the biggest upsets in Tournament History. Along with Texas Western beating Vanilla Kentucky and Villanova beating Georgetown. Long shot but we could have a Villanova-Loyola Championship game.....

Love the little nun.....

At the start of the Nevada-Loyola game it looked like a tribe of dwarves in the Land of the Giants.....

Couldn't keep the Martin twins straight, but they are the goods, fun to watch and both seem capable of playing in the next tier.....

Love the little nun.....

You might want to throw NC State over University of "Phi Slamma Jamma" Houston in there, as well. NObody saw that coming. And that team had nine lives in their first game, alone, vs. Pepperdine.

I'm not one for long pissing matches, especially when I'm pretty much in agreement with the other poster. If I can't get my point across within two or three posts than I didn't have a pot to piss in in the first place. See yesterday's Bartman discussion in another thread for evidence. If anyone wants to get too cute I got 40 years of very accurate long term recall to fall back on. You (lightning) and I are probably going to be on the same side about 90% of the time anyway. My style just isn't as abrasive but no less right or wrong. That's why I respect posters when I converse with them.

If you ever get up to Just A Game we may not be so anonymous. I've watched too much basketball and volleyball up there.
Your son playing AAU ball this year?

The area between Dubuque and Dickeyville is supper club/fish fry/prime rib heaven. It's past it's heyday but good ones still remain. And those Brandy old fashions.

3 Mile House just of exit 1, best steak and shrimp combo in the area, order a couple martini's and they fill the glass and eave the shaker.....two TV's if you are at the bar to watch the tournament.......and, oh yes, I have had an old fashioned once or twice......