The Anyone but Kentucky or Kansas Sweet 16 Thread

Are the dominoes falling into place for Loyola or what?

Their starting to look like 1983 North Carolina State.

I know Duke and Kansas and Villanova are out there but...so we're Ralph Sampson and Hakeem Olajuwon.

Kentucky loses America wins. And what must Illinois fans be thinking.....Bruce Weber and an in-state mid major in the Elite 8
Our mediocre to slightly above average teams (sans this years men's bb) may be frustrating, but how would you like to be in Illinois's shoes? They must be thinking "I wish Lou Henson and Jimmy Collins still had connections to the Chicago Public League." Even when they get a player from out of there it doesn't quite have the ring of Nick Anderson or Ken Norman or Lowell Hamilton or Eddie Johnson.

Great night- to see KY go down was gratifying, I did kind of like Gonzaga, but worried about potential Michigan vs Gonzaga (still have the conference pride). Michigan certainly showed what they were capable of. Loyola- who woulda thought? I did have them in S16 on my bracket, but no further. With all the negativity this year, imagine a small Parochial school getting this exposure. This is getting really interesting.

Iowa State blew it letting Custer go.
He’s really good.

I think Custer is at the right level for him. This is the first year he would have played much at all at ISU. Probably didn't have a choice in the matter.

Cooke for Nevada played for ISU too. All 5 starters for Nevada were transfers.

Our mediocre to slightly above average teams (sans this years men's bb) may be frustrating, but how would you like to be in Illinois's shoes? They must be thinking "I wish Lou Henson and Jimmy Collins still had connections to the Chicago Public League." Even when they get a player from out of there it doesn't quite have the ring of Nick Anderson or Ken Norman or Lowell Hamilton or Eddie Johnson.

The level of success Bruce has had at KSU vs. the lack of success at Illinois is pretty amusing actually.

Took a good look at Loyola last night. I'm not a coach (some of you have coached high school and above or AAU). This is what I saw.
Dribble drive
Extra interior pass.
SHOT FAKES
Adjustments after early 20-8 defecit.
Balanced floor
Pushed pace when available

That's just on the offensive side. I could add poise under pressure, too. When Nevada was jumping their passing lanes and fronting their bigs, they adjusted. When Stephens didn't have it from outside, they committed an extra man to the lane.
Nevada actually made good adjustments, too. It was a fascinating chess match to watch.

Once again, I've never coached above 6th grade girls. Any opinions out there? And once again, I would love we some Jordan Caroline. And the Martin twins. But Loyola made one more shot and Martin fell for one head fake. And Loyola is Rambling on!

It wasn't too long ago that they were in the National Championship game. And they have exactly the same number of NCAA wins since Fran has been here. They are doing better than we are.

Actually it's not that hard to figure out. I believe Michigan couldn't hit threes for most of the game vs. Iowa but last night they hit a lot of them. That's how so much of who wins the games is determined these days. Hit a lot of threes = good chance to win.
That's why you absolutely MUST coach good defense. Good defense can win games when shots don't fall. Michigan beat us in spite of their 15% 3 pt shooting. They held us to 41% from 2FG and 30% from 3FG.

Took a good look at Loyola last night. I'm not a coach (some of you have coached high school and above or AAU). This is what I saw.
Dribble drive
Extra interior pass.
SHOT FAKES
Adjustments after early 20-8 defecit.
Balanced floor
Pushed pace when available

That's just on the offensive side. I could add poise under pressure, too. When Nevada was jumping their passing lanes and fronting their bigs, they adjusted. When Stephens didn't have it from outside, they committed an extra man to the lane.
Nevada actually made good adjustments, too. It was a fascinating chess match to watch.

Once again, I've never coached above 6th grade girls. Any opinions out there? And once again, I would love we some Jordan Caroline. And the Martin twins. But Loyola made one more shot and Martin fell for one head fake. And Loyola is Rambling on!
Absolutely. But the defense is what made the difference. Here are Nevada'a season averages.
82.6 PPG
top 20 in offensive efficiency
47% FG
39% 3pt FG
last night against Loyola, they were held to:
68 pts
41% 2 pt FG
26% 3 pt FG

It wasn't too long ago that they were in the National Championship game. And they have exactly the same number of NCAA wins since Fran has been here. They are doing better than we are.
If you designate a starting point that includes the Weber era, then aboslutey they have a leg up on us. We have to drag the Lickliter years through the mud, not to mention some uninspired efforts from hairgel. Their performance graph definitely has some upward spikes.

I would never have guessed that both schools have the same number of NCAA wins since the Fran era commenced. Good find. Now if we want to compare recent football history, that's another thread for another day.

Absolutely. But the defense is what made the difference. Here are Nevada'a season averages.
82.6 PPG
top 20 in offensive efficiency
47% FG
39% 3pt FG
last night against Loyola, they were held to:
68 pts
41% 2 pt FG
26% 3 pt FG
Loyola turned the first eight or nine minutes of that second half into a basketball symphony. 13-13 from the floor. And they needed every last one of them.

Loyola turned the first eight or nine minutes of that second half into a basketball symphony. 13-13 from the floor. And they needed every last one of them.
Are you under the same spell as Fran? Did you look at the difference between Nevada's season avgs vs what Loyola did to them? Fran has one of the best offensive %s in all of D-1 basketball. He loves offense too.

Are you under the same spell as Fran? Did you look at the difference between Nevada's season avgs vs what Loyola did to them? Fran has one of the best offensive %s in all of D-1 basketball. He loves offense too.
I read (and liked) your post. I nicely answered your question last night. I deferred to you when comparing Iowa and Illinois basketball. I defended you on this board when another poster accused you of turning discussions into pissing matches about two weeks ago. I, on multiple occasions, have gone out of my way to point out the effort of people who are coaching traveling teams, such as yourself, and that the crap you go through is even worse than high school coaches.

I never disagreed with you that defense won Loyola that game last night. I watched it. I said that Loyola needed every bit of that thirteen for thirteen. The final was 69-68. If Loyola goes 9-13 in that stretch, which is still hot shooting, they might lose. That was the only point I'm trying to make.

I know you love defense and I do too. I was at the Robert Johnson show about a month ago. It was pathetic, like watching a bunch of ninth graders trying to start a weed whacker. I respect your posts and your knowledge and enjoy talking hoops and football in the fall with you. But I'm certainly not under the same spell as Fran and I've seen countless examples in 40 years of watching college hoops of what no defense can do. I don't care if your 1990 Loyola Marymount.

By the way, defense can be symphonic too.

I read (and liked) your post. I nicely answered your question last night. I deferred to you when comparing Iowa and Illinois basketball. I defended you on this board when another poster accused you of turning discussions into pissing matches about two weeks ago. I, on multiple occasions, have gone out of my way to point out the effort of people who are coaching traveling teams, such as yourself, and that the crap you go through is even worse than high school coaches.

I never disagreed with you that defense won Loyola that game last night. I watched it. I said that Loyola needed every bit of that thirteen for thirteen. The final was 69-68. If Loyola goes 9-13 in that stretch, which is still hot shooting, they might lose. That was the only point I'm trying to make.

I know you love defense and I do too. I was at the Robert Johnson show about a month ago. It was pathetic, like watching a bunch of ninth graders trying to start a weed whacker. I respect your posts and your knowledge and enjoy talking hoops and football in the fall with you. But I'm certainly not under the same spell as Fran and I've seen countless examples in 40 years of watching college hoops of what no defense can do. I don't care if your 1990 Loyola Marymount.

By the way, defense can be symphonic too.
Don't take my posts too seriously. I certainly don't.

Don't take my posts too seriously. I certainly don't.
Gotcha. If anything I got a little too self righteous. There are other posters here who will devolve threads into pissing matches. I'm not one of them. BTW what grade do you coach and do you ever get up to Just A Game in the Dells? If it's incoming eighth graders you may play my son's team.

I'm heading to LaCrosse in about two hours for GNBL state tournament. It gets real this weekend.