Thanks Quitters: I Just Upgraded my season tickets

I have had season tickets since 1981 and have been going to the home games since 1966. That is a fact. I'm no hero and I'm no "Uberfan" (whatever the heck that means) but I have been loyal. Am I a zero? Yes, my advanced age includes a zero. I am an old man and actually have seen a lot of very bad Iowa football (before Hayden Fry).

I know you are trolling, but I'll take the bait. If you have had season tickets for 19 years, you have actually seen a tremendous amount of good football at Kinnick. It is just unfair to suggest that you haven't. If you have season tickets, I hope you didn't give them up.

People not renewing season tickets are not helping the Iowa program. That is also a fact. You can't build a program or rebuild a program without season ticket revenues. Eight or nine thousand fans not renewing isn't going to do anything but harm the football team and the program. Not renewing because you don't like the "direction" of the program doesn't help anything. The time to buy tickets is when the program is down, not up. Anyone can buy tickets during the "up" years. What has made Iowa special is the fact that Iowa fans have supported the team, win or lose. Iowa will be good again. I truly believe that.

If I struck a nerve with the "quitter" label, I apologize for that. It really troubles me that Iowa fans are giving up their season tickets. It can only hurt the program.

I'm calling bs on this. I've been a season ticket holder since 1997 with no donation and my renewal came up in the first week of April and they go by proirity points. There is no way that you've had tix since 81 and be a donor to the university and just now be picking your seats.

The problem is that Ferentz is not now or ever been "open" to criticism. Even when we got burned twice in a row by fake punts, it wasn't his fault. "That's football" has become his way of shrugging off criticism of his coaching. He also has not been in any danger of losing his job thanks to Bata's help, so fan frustration has no other outlet but to protest with their dollars. If you want to sit at the 50 yard line and watch the kind of football we have been seeing, fine for you, but those who have had enough of watching KF football have a right to spend their Saturdays doing something better in their eyes without beinng called losers.

I attribute a majority of those close games to the officiating. Over the past 10 years the quality and impartiality of the officials has decreased dramatically. Even in many of the wins since then Iowa had to overcome terrible officiating. To me the tipping point was the 2006 Outback Bowl. That was the worst I had ever seen it. Unfortunately it has not improved since then. Prior to that, and several times since then, I saw the Kirk do a great job in coaching Iowa to key wins in close games. That earned him 3 Big 10 coach of the year awards. So that factor is constant, however the quality of the officiating is not.

Are you kidding me? Come on. You're seriously blaming the majority of our losses these past few years on officiating......give me a break. Worst excuse of a college football fan or player. "The refs sucked". That is NEVER the reason you lose a game. The fact of the matter is most teams have more talent than us and frankly, better coaching. Especially in the final minutes with clock management and playcall management skills. It pisses me off when people blame losses for officiating and it's actually pathetic, really just an excuse from delusional fans in denial of the fact that their team sucks.

get over yourself
cry-baby.jpg

I am not kidding. Iowa still has a good coach and good players. There are other contributing factors at play. The officiating is a big one. We as fans analyze many details about the games. I'll use the standard that the refs should not be noticed at all. Prior to 10 years ago one seldom noticed the refs with a few exceptions such as the 1952 Notre Dame game, 1994 Purdue and a handful of others. Recently they make themselves noticed in nearly every game. By this standard alone they are not doing a good job. It is now common place for the calls of referees to affect the outcome of games. That should just not be.

Yeah, I heard this season's Ticket sales were slow, so
I promptly UPGRADED to closer to 50 yard line.

The putz, Leistikow had an article about Iowa season ticket were slow, but he pointed out that
the HAWKEYES were #22 in tickets sold, in all of College FB, last year. That's still pretty darned impressive

Sounds like both of us got in on that ground-floor opportunity. But I only had to send $2500.

I wanted to thank you and Travis for the donations. I am the Prince and I wanted to let you know that, thanks to you both, I have paid off nearly almost most of my fines! I am grateful for all of your help as it isn't fun being stranded in a foreign country. The visa is a work in progress and I am hopeful.

But, could I impose on you both.....no, I can't, you've been so generous already. But I do miss my country and my people....could I ask you to each send just a little bit more? Send it to the same place as before and thank you so much, again.

Lastly, when are you going to send the money?

Sorry guys, but I stand by my original post, notwithstanding all of the name calling. If you are a season ticket holder and you have the financial means to renew, you should do so to support the team and the program. Giving up tickets because you don't like the "direction" of the program isn't going to help anything. If you disagree, that is your privilege. This is a "free" board. If Ferentz has a great season this fall, a lot of people will eat some crow. If Iowa has another mediocre year, the "I told you so" crowd on this board will be in full force. That's life. Everyone loves a winner, and Ferentz is open to criticism if he doesn't produce, and even loss of his job. I'm going to hang in there, win or lose. Iowa fans generally are spoiled now. They had a taste of the big time with Fry and much of Ferentz. It doesn't come easily. The fans have to support the program in lean times to keep it going for the good times. It doesn't happen by swilling beers with your buddies and watching the game on your big screen TV. It just doesn't.

Very well said,it's hard to explain the game day experience to those that have never been there.Watch it on the HD if you choose, I will watch it live and record it for later.Go Hawks

Sorry guys, but I stand by my original post, notwithstanding all of the name calling. If you are a season ticket holder and you have the financial means to renew, you should do so to support the team and the program. Giving up tickets because you don't like the "direction" of the program isn't going to help anything. If you disagree, that is your privilege. This is a "free" board. If Ferentz has a great season this fall, a lot of people will eat some crow. If Iowa has another mediocre year, the "I told you so" crowd on this board will be in full force. That's life. Everyone loves a winner, and Ferentz is open to criticism if he doesn't produce, and even loss of his job. I'm going to hang in there, win or lose. Iowa fans generally are spoiled now. They had a taste of the big time with Fry and much of Ferentz. It doesn't come easily. The fans have to support the program in lean times to keep it going for the good times. It doesn't happen by swilling beers with your buddies and watching the game on your big screen TV. It just doesn't.

CC, I'll politely point out that the very title of this thread (which you started) initiated the name calling.

Also, buying season tickets isn't the only to show support. How about the people that have to move around and pay extra for a tv package that carries BTN so they can watch Iowa game? Aren't they fans too? Or, how about the folks in the military that scramble for 11 Saturday's and 1 Friday each season to find a way to watch, or even just listen to the games? Aren't they fans too? The notion of only being a true fan if you buy season tickets is simply off base.

I don't disagree with anything that you stated. People should try to support the team and young men thru the thin as well. Kudos to people like yourself. I also think many young "families" are shying away from committing to season tickets secondary to kid's events/games on the weekends. That aspect just keeps getting busier and busier. there are many factors for the decline. If the team wins, fans will come back. The currrent tailgating atmosphere is not helping at Iowa.

The officiating is an obvious factor in many of the games. The coach has proven that he is a quality coach. That has not changed. Something else has, and that is the officiating. Go back and watch the games from the early 2000s. The number of bogus calls back then were way less than now.
It's NOT the officiating. It's the Assistant Coaches that have changed and gotten much, much worse. Google NORM PARKER. Officiating my arse.

Vacations I was able to take this (so far) with all the extra disposable income from NOT renewing:
Ice fishing at Devil's Lake, ND in January.
Cocoa Beach, FL in May.
Table Rock Lake, Mizzou over this coming 4th of July.
Might even squeeze another one in this fall. Any suggestions?

Vacations I was able to take this (so far) with all the extra disposable income from NOT renewing:
Ice fishing at Devil's Lake, ND in January.
Cocoa Beach, FL in May.
Table Rock Lake, Mizzou over this coming 4th of July.
Might even squeeze another one in this fall. Any suggestions?

Ya I have one. Get a better Financial Advisor then you can afford tickets also.

I just read an article where Ferentz is really gearing up for Illinois State. It said he can't afford to lose to Illinois State and then lose at Iowa state. He would have to play pittsburg after that. It will be interesting to see how valuable people will think there tickets are after the first three games. Personally, I think Iowa is going to have a good year.

I didnt renew my season tickets because tickets for every game last year were going for well below face value. So if it makes me a "quitter" for getting better seats at a cheaper price without being forced to make a donation to Gary Barta, then so be it.

I didnt renew my season tickets because tickets for every game last year were going for well below face value. So if it makes me a "quitter" for getting better seats at a cheaper price without being forced to make a donation to Gary Barta, then so be it.

That's the point, Mo, that doesn't make you a quitter. Only a delusional person would think that.

Im not mad at anyone for not renewing but I did take this time to upgrade also. Its not for this year but for the future. I wanted better seats and that is what times like this are for.

Latest posts