Thank you to Brian Ferentz

okeefe4prez

What a way for him to go out in his last game calling the offense at Kinnick. I'm going to go ahead and call this a 10 win team at this point due to the bullshit that was heaped on us by the replay booth in that Minnesota game. Deacon is effectively undefeated as the starter. We lost two star TEs and the starting QB that we banked the whole season on.

I know, I get it, we win with defense and special teams and this offense is no bueno, but from a pure coaching standpoint the job Brian Ferentz did this year was the best year we have ever had during the Ferentz regime out of an offensive coordinator. 2004 was first, now that is moved down to second. Yeah, I know the offense is among the worst, if not the absolute worst in the country. The line is horrendous, but that is endemic of almost the entire college football landscape now. The QB is limited. The TE room is gutted. Yet here we are, with a ticket punched to Indy. Brian Ferentz fought and clawed this highly flawed offense into the bare minimum acceptable performance for us to WIN THE DAMNED DIVISION. It was ugly.

The complaints about Brian remind me of people who bragged about studying 2,000 hours for the bar exam. There is a point threshold established and the ultimate goal is to hit just that threshold. There is no bonus or upside to scoring a 300 when a 264 passes the test. Football is the same, at the end of the day if we have one point more than the other team we win. Brian Ferentz got this rag tag crew at least one more point than the opposition quite a few times. When I watch the other offenses at least in our division, which spans pretty much our entire "pipeline" recruiting territory, they are all loaded up with the same problems we have. I am of the opinion that this stuff has occurred as a result of population decline in the north, lower football participation rates in the north, improved athletics on defensive lines and for edge rushers, better disguises of pressures by defenses, and rule changes that destroyed Kirk's offensive line philosophy.

I will be in the vast minority with this take, but I think it sucks that we just won the division without our all-world starting QB that we hinged everything on this year and without two men who I believe possess first or second round NFL talent at TE and Brian Ferentz got his walking papers. It reminds me of what we did to Tom Davis and I think it's total bullshit. I'd have given the kid another year because I think he earned it at this point. We've given him 7 years to hone his skills and I think he has gotten a lot better, now all that pain we have sat through while he does on the job training is for naught. I think we will regret the day we got rid of the guy.

The ability of this staff to hold this team together is remarkable. It would have been easy for this team to collapse. I was worried that they would. Everyone knows how limited the offense is, but those kids rallied around the staff and the tribute they gave to Brian showed how much they love him.

What a way for him to go out in his last game calling the offense at Kinnick. I'm going to go ahead and call this a 10 win team at this point due to the bullshit that was heaped on us by the replay booth in that Minnesota game. Deacon is effectively undefeated as the starter. We lost two star TEs and the starting QB that we banked the whole season on.

I know, I get it, we win with defense and special teams and this offense is no bueno, but from a pure coaching standpoint the job Brian Ferentz did this year was the best year we have ever had during the Ferentz regime out of an offensive coordinator. 2004 was first, now that is moved down to second. Yeah, I know the offense is among the worst, if not the absolute worst in the country. The line is horrendous, but that is endemic of almost the entire college football landscape now. The QB is limited. The TE room is gutted. Yet here we are, with a ticket punched to Indy. Brian Ferentz fought and clawed this highly flawed offense into the bare minimum acceptable performance for us to WIN THE DAMNED DIVISION. It was ugly.

The complaints about Brian remind me of people who bragged about studying 2,000 hours for the bar exam. There is a point threshold established and the ultimate goal is to hit just that threshold. There is no bonus or upside to scoring a 300 when a 264 passes the test. Football is the same, at the end of the day if we have one point more than the other team we win. Brian Ferentz got this rag tag crew at least one more point than the opposition quite a few times. When I watch the other offenses at least in our division, which spans pretty much our entire "pipeline" recruiting territory, they are all loaded up with the same problems we have. I am of the opinion that this stuff has occurred as a result of population decline in the north, lower football participation rates in the north, improved athletics on defensive lines and for edge rushers, better disguises of pressures by defenses, and rule changes that destroyed Kirk's offensive line philosophy.

I will be in the vast minority with this take, but I think it sucks that we just won the division without our all-world starting QB that we hinged everything on this year and without two men who I believe possess first or second round NFL talent at TE and Brian Ferentz got his walking papers. It reminds me of what we did to Tom Davis and I think it's total bullshit. I'd have given the kid another year because I think he earned it at this point. We've given him 7 years to hone his skills and I think he has gotten a lot better, now all that pain we have sat through while he does on the job training is for naught. I think we will regret the day we got rid of the guy.

The ability of this staff to hold this team together is remarkable. It would have been easy for this team to collapse. I was worried that they would. Everyone knows how limited the offense is, but those kids rallied around the staff and the tribute they gave to Brian showed how much they love him.

I've been kind of thinking about this these past days. This is such a weird season. What other program or coach would have been able to navigate this and be successful, let alone win a division in a p5 conference? Not many. This is even more impressive doing this in a "developmental" program where ya just can't plug and play 5* players. Maybe actually that is the reason he was able to be successful. Since it is a developmental program, the assignment football and technique is instilled in all of them. This is why you can throw these guys in the fire and they seem to perform. It's the program and culture of the program and how the game is taught to them. This is why the 3rd or 4th TE on the depth chart comes in and looks similar to the 1 and 2.

It's evident the culture that KF has instilled in this program. These young men buy in, luv playing for him, and most importantly luv playing for each other. I can't explain how he was able to keep them all so invested and focused. The guy is a savant when it comes to this.

Last edited:
I've been kind of thinking about this these past days. This is such a weird season. What other program or coach would have been able to navigate this and be successful, let alone win a division in a p5 conference? Not many. This is even more impressive doing this in a "developmental" program where ya just can't plug and play 5* players. Maybe actually that is the reason he was able to be successful. Since it is a developmental program, the assignment football and technique is instilled in all of them. This is why you can throw these guys in the fire and they seem to perform. It's the program and culture of the program and how the game is taught to them. This is why the 3rd or 4th TE on the depth chart comes in and looks similar to the 1 and 2.

It's evident the culture that KF has instilled in this program. These young men bye in, luv playing for him, and most importantly luv playing for each other. I can't explain how he was able to keep them all so invested and focused. The guy is a savant when it comes to this.

Hosana.

I'll even throw in some credit for Brian. That (most/many/a vast majority) of players appreciated Brian as a coach. I know there were some who didn't in the past, and I'm not going to discount their truth, but they do seem to be an exception, not the rule. Further, he's handled everything (and there's been a lot) publicly with a lot of grace and aplomb.

I can excuse Kirk's blindspot to family. It's only human. He has handled everything quite well too, up to this point.

I hope....whether he continues to coach or decides to hang it up....that publicly it's all kept at the level it is now. He hasn't been completely silent, and shouldn't have to. But he's also not allowed it to ratchet up. I desperately hope it stays that way and when he retires....sooner or down the road...I continue to think the same about him as I have for more than 20 years now.

Okeefe's comments about the bar exam reminds me of that old joke

Q: what do you call the guy who graduates lowest in his medical school class

A: Doctor
That's the kicker right there all that matters. Pure truth.

When it comes to Brian it's frustrating for me because he was mostly raised in IC. Played HS there and obviously for his dad. Went off into coaching and came back and climbed the ladder (albeit a fast tracked one) as an assistant to get to be a young OC. The guy has lived his life as a Hawkeye I'm sure it's all he's ever identified himself as really. Minus the few misguided minorities that tried to pile on a lawsuit to pad their wallets Brian seems to be universally loved by his players. When you combine that with winning games (despite him or not) aren't those what matter at the end of the day?

Yet the offensive performance, lack of QB development/play, WRs, Oline has been just dreadful and can't be allowed to continue. He got way more rope and more of a chance then anyone else ever would. USCs DC sure wishes Riley was his Dad right about now. So you factor all that in with a new AD who had this whole thing just plopped in her lap to inherit this move had to be done. Did it need to be announced to the world as early as it was? I see that going both ways so I'm not mad about it. Even though that's the part that irks the Ferentzs the most.

So it is what it is. BF is a young guy he's still got his last name and doors will open because of it. But as far as things playing out how they did KF is the only one to blame. He coulda not promoted his kid as fast as he did (or at all). He coulda let him go in some way before now (gotten him another gig somewhere anywhere else). His decisions are what lead everything to being where it is. He can't be too upset that if he has an ounce of self awareness. Could BF have left at anytime too? Sure but put yourself in his shoes and say why would he? He only really knows himself as a Hawk and loves everything about being here with his Dad so why on earth would he voluntarily leave? So I totally get that and that's why to me it's all on KF.

Will KF continue coaching and hire an OC to replace him? We should know in a few months I would think....

IMO, if you go 80-32 over a stretch of 8 years in college football, high school football, English league football, candadian football, NFL, XFL, Indoor, USFL....whereever, you get to make all your calls on your coaching staff. If Kirk wants his grand daughter to be the next OC, I'm good with it, just keep stacking the W's.

I will say this in Brian's defense....he had a lot of fing KEY injuries this year. He had a masterful game against Ohio St at Kinnick not long ago. But, just to many cumlative clunkers. I can honestly say, I think they should have waited until the end of the year to make a decision, or because they decided to let him go....he should have been let go and replaced now...not coach out the season.

Now, you have a lame-duck OC.....in the freaking title game. Yes, defense and special teams are a big part of it.....but what if Iowa shocks the world? What if Iowa's offense looks wonderful? Slim chances, very slim chances, but is not 100% impossible. Michigan looked human against Maryland. Anything is possible.

Last edited:
That's the kicker right there all that matters. Pure truth.

When it comes to Brian it's frustrating for me because he was mostly raised in IC. Played HS there and obviously for his dad. Went off into coaching and came back and climbed the ladder (albeit a fast tracked one) as an assistant to get to be a young OC. The guy has lived his life as a Hawkeye I'm sure it's all he's ever identified himself as really. Minus the few misguided minorities that tried to pile on a lawsuit to pad their wallets Brian seems to be universally loved by his players. When you combine that with winning games (despite him or not) aren't those what matter at the end of the day?

Yet the offensive performance, lack of QB development/play, WRs, Oline has been just dreadful and can't be allowed to continue. He got way more rope and more of a chance then anyone else ever would. USCs DC sure wishes Riley was his Dad right about now. So you factor all that in with a new AD who had this whole thing just plopped in her lap to inherit this move had to be done. Did it need to be announced to the world as early as it was? I see that going both ways so I'm not mad about it. Even though that's the part that irks the Ferentzs the most.

So it is what it is. BF is a young guy he's still got his last name and doors will open because of it. But as far as things playing out how they did KF is the only one to blame. He coulda not promoted his kid as fast as he did (or at all). He coulda let him go in some way before now (gotten him another gig somewhere anywhere else). His decisions are what lead everything to being where it is. He can't be too upset that if he has an ounce of self awareness. Could BF have left at anytime too? Sure but put yourself in his shoes and say why would he? He only really knows himself as a Hawk and loves everything about being here with his Dad so why on earth would he voluntarily leave? So I totally get that and that's why to me it's all on KF.

Will KF continue coaching and hire an OC to replace him? We should know in a few months I would think....
I wish they could find a spot for him. Co-Offensive line coach or something.....but I'm guessing Brian is hurt/pissed.....and wants more than that.

I will say this in Brian's defense....he had a lot of fing KEY injuries this year. He had a masterful game against Ohio St at Kinnick not long ago. But, just to many cumlative clunkers. I can honestly say, I think they should have waited until the end of the year to make a decision, or because they decided to let him go....he should have been let go and replaced now...not coach out the season.

Now, you have a lame-duck OC.....in the freaking title game. Yes, defense and special teams are a big part of it.....but what if Iowa shocks the world? What if Iowa's offense looks wonderful? Slim chances, very slim chances, but is not 100% impossible. Michigan looked human against Maryland. Anything is possible.

We can't win that game without DeJean. If I was Ferentz I would take a vote in the locker room and ask the guys if they want to YOLO the title game. Go for it on every 4th down unless it is over 8 yards or you are inside the 30. Go for 2 after TDs. I'm confident that our team can lose 55-0 while playing in its shell. Why not lose 61-0 while running 20 gadget plays and going for it on every 4th down? Or maybe 3/4ths of our crap will work and we could win 27-24?

I wish they could find a spot for him. Co-Offensive line coach or something.....but I'm guessing Brian is hurt/pissed.....and wants more than that.
I think Goetz wasn't giving them (Kf and BF) a choice. She wanted a clean break from the drama and nepotism of it all and as far as I'm concerned that's her prerogative and not the wrong move at this point. KF and BF coulda done what you suggested on their own either of the previous 2 seasons when they could see this clearly wasn't working. They coulda shoulda seen this coming like everyone else did but that's how they decided to play it.

Latest posts