Thank you to Brian Ferentz

That's the kicker right there all that matters. Pure truth.

When it comes to Brian it's frustrating for me because he was mostly raised in IC. Played HS there and obviously for his dad. Went off into coaching and came back and climbed the ladder (albeit a fast tracked one) as an assistant to get to be a young OC. The guy has lived his life as a Hawkeye I'm sure it's all he's ever identified himself as really. Minus the few misguided minorities that tried to pile on a lawsuit to pad their wallets Brian seems to be universally loved by his players. When you combine that with winning games (despite him or not) aren't those what matter at the end of the day?

Yet the offensive performance, lack of QB development/play, WRs, Oline has been just dreadful and can't be allowed to continue. He got way more rope and more of a chance then anyone else ever would. USCs DC sure wishes Riley was his Dad right about now. So you factor all that in with a new AD who had this whole thing just plopped in her lap to inherit this move had to be done. Did it need to be announced to the world as early as it was? I see that going both ways so I'm not mad about it. Even though that's the part that irks the Ferentzs the most.

So it is what it is. BF is a young guy he's still got his last name and doors will open because of it. But as far as things playing out how they did KF is the only one to blame. He coulda not promoted his kid as fast as he did (or at all). He coulda let him go in some way before now (gotten him another gig somewhere anywhere else). His decisions are what lead everything to being where it is. He can't be too upset that if he has an ounce of self awareness. Could BF have left at anytime too? Sure but put yourself in his shoes and say why would he? He only really knows himself as a Hawk and loves everything about being here with his Dad so why on earth would he voluntarily leave? So I totally get that and that's why to me it's all on KF.

Will KF continue coaching and hire an OC to replace him? We should know in a few months I would think....
Funny you mentioned USC's defense. I saw a stat on TikTok this morning that absolutely blew my mind and put how good our defense really is into perspective and equally how bad USC's has been.

USC points allowed in the past 6 games: 265
Iowa points allowed in the past 2 seasons: 284

Funny you mentioned USC's defense. I saw a stat on TikTok this morning that absolutely blew my mind and put how good our defense really is into perspective and equally how bad USC's has been.

USC points allowed in the past 6 games: 265
Iowa points allowed in the past 2 seasons: 284
And USC is 7-5.... Based on how USC has handled HCs the last 10ish yrs Riley could be on a warm seat. Rebuilding that defense will be a project in a half. Total rebuild gut job and that can't be done overnight. If they can't win games with a Heisman level QB and high scoring O with Riley calling plays due to it now then yikes. Even if D improves a little next yr he'll have a different Qb and O that probably won't be as good as these last couple. He's got his work cut out for him

During the BF OC era, most of the big offensive games have happened once Iowa has been knocked out of contention, thus nothing is riding on the game.

In this case, nothing is riding on the game because we have already locked up the division. I could see an uncharacteristically aggressive gameplan in this one. Still not sure we have the right pieces to execute such a plan.

We can't win that game without DeJean. If I was Ferentz I would take a vote in the locker room and ask the guys if they want to YOLO the title game. Go for it on every 4th down unless it is over 8 yards or you are inside the 30. Go for 2 after TDs. I'm confident that our team can lose 55-0 while playing in its shell. Why not lose 61-0 while running 20 gadget plays and going for it on every 4th down? Or maybe 3/4ths of our crap will work and we could win 27-24?
Why not? What do they have to lose? The Ohio St 55-24 game (I think that was the score)......bring on a game plan like that. Only problem is we don't have Fant and Hockenson to throw to.....but we do have that Ohio St transfer and Raagannie.

I think Goetz wasn't giving them (Kf and BF) a choice. She wanted a clean break from the drama and nepotism of it all and as far as I'm concerned that's her prerogative and not the wrong move at this point. KF and BF coulda done what you suggested on their own either of the previous 2 seasons when they could see this clearly wasn't working. They coulda shoulda seen this coming like everyone else did but that's how they decided to play it.
Can't argue with that. It is a shame that did not happen earlier.

And USC is 7-5.... Based on how USC has handled HCs the last 10ish yrs Riley could be on a warm seat. Rebuilding that defense will be a project in a half. Total rebuild gut job and that can't be done overnight. If they can't win games with a Heisman level QB and high scoring O with Riley calling plays due to it now then yikes. Even if D improves a little next yr he'll have a different Qb and O that probably won't be as good as these last couple. He's got his work cut out for him
He should have stayed at Oklahoma.

Can't argue with that. It is a shame that did not happen earlier.
And Goetz had some of the if not many of the big donors supporting her decision. Or it most likely doesn't happen when it did either. My sympathy for the Ferentzs in regards to this is nuanced in that the human side of it all I totally get. But the practical side of it was all of their doing and coulda been avoided really easily. So I can't say I have no sympathy at all about it. And nobody should have total sympathy towards them. The Ferentzs and Barta put the school and Goetz in a tough tough spot.

I have some sympathy for her too. No new incoming AD that's still an interim should have to make such decisions about nepotism and a coach who's 25 yrs in with his kid on staff. She had a mess of a situation she inherited and the Ferentzs weren't going to make it easy on her. So she did what she did and good for her. She's got stones

Brian really didn't have a chance, but yet he had every chance. If your the boss's son you just are not going to get any credit for anything good you do and get all the criticism when things go wrong. That has been the water all Kirk's OC's have had to carry running his offense. Kirk and Brian both accepted this situation when they went into business together. We can rehash all the reasons Brian wasn't getting the job done or why he wasn't able to get it done or we can just move on. Those applauding Brian for the job he's done this year need to ask yourself why did we get in this situation in the first place. Having to use a emergency portal QB because we had such a mess at the QB spot. Then there's the complete collapse of our receiving game with our WR's starting two seasons ago. I like Kirk, I am indifferent if he stays or goes. He's had a good run. Iowa will have to sink or swim next year in a much larger swimming pool. If Kirk and company pull off the impossible upset in Indy a lot of people will be for hiring Brian back. If Iowa is humiliated talk will be Beth made the right decision. The players showed that they really like Brian. That's a pretty big deal. I won't be surprised if he ends up coaching a Northwestern or a school we play on a regular basis. Bet he has a chip on his shoulder every time he plays us like old Fitz.

Brian really didn't have a chance, but yet he had every chance.
Fully agree with your words. It is kind of like the best of worlds and the worst of worlds from a novel that I don't remember the name of or the author. Brian did not get enough exposure to other concepts before being given the reins to the offense. His whole world view was Kirk's and Bill Belicek's offensive concepts. When you are not fully prepared your chances of being successful go precipitously down.

Latest posts