Technological shifts and the shortsightedness of B1G expansion

SVP and others disagree with the idea that UMD is not a big deal in DC and Baltimore

He's biased and he's wrong. College Park, MD has probably about 6 million people who live within an hour's drive. Yet, they averaged 42,000 fans in a 58,000 seat stadium. It's not because "the kids" are glued to their iPads, it is because their alumni don't care about the program and they are situated between two pro football cities, one of which is full of transplants.

He's biased and he's wrong. College Park, MD has probably about 6 million people who live within an hour's drive. Yet, they averaged 42,000 fans in a 58,000 seat stadium. It's not because "the kids" are glued to their iPads, it is because their alumni don't care about the program and they are situated between two pro football cities, one of which is full of transplants.

No, it is because Maryland is a Lacrosse School.

Good God. That sounds like Northwestern. If the SEC poached Northwestern and Michael Wilbon got on ESPN telling everyone how it would deliver Chicago to the SEC Network footprint would anyone believe him? Someone please quote this so those proles who have me on ignore see it. Northwestern is on the brink of a 9 win season with late game meltdowns against Michigan, Nebraska and Penn State and they are lucky to draw 30k of their own fans to games. For the millionth time, most people really close to NFL cities DO NOT CARE ABOUT THE LOCAL COLLEGE FOOTBALL TEAM.

Good God. That sounds like Northwestern. If the SEC poached Northwestern and Michael Wilbon got on ESPN telling everyone how it would deliver Chicago to the SEC Network footprint would anyone believe him? Someone please quote this so those proles who have me on ignore see it. Northwestern is on the brink of a 9 win season with late game meltdowns against Michigan, Nebraska and Penn State and they are lucky to draw 30k of their own fans to games. For the millionth time, most people really close to NFL cities DO NOT CARE ABOUT THE LOCAL COLLEGE FOOTBALL TEAM.

Lots of goobers around The Big Windy sure do act like they care about noter dame, bubba.

Except Maryland-College Park is about four times larger than Northwestern.

Except Maryland-College Park is about four times larger than Northwestern.

Insert facepalm pic here. For the love of God, when the Big Ten's governing documents are amended, please guys, make it possible for us to bounce these clown colleges if this thing doesn't work out as the bean counters are predicting. You guys want to know the real problem with this, though? The same clowns who "negotiated" Kurt Ferentz's contract and who hired Tim Beckman and Dick Rod will have a say in the amendment of those governing documents?

Northwestern has spent many marketing dollars trying to convince Chicago that they were Chicago's Big Ten school. I used to hear these advertisements on The Score all the time. A big reason why people in the big cities do not root for the local university is because many of them did not go to school there. If I graduated from Iowa and found a job in Chicago I would not instantly become a Northwestern fan just because they were closer. You put a nice stadium with a good atmosphere in a NFL town like Minnesota did with a decent team and the fans will show up. Northwestern desperately needs a new stadium to improve the college football atmosphere and you would see people show up.

Midwest loves their football, we wear our high school gear to support our team on Friday nights, college gear on Saturdays, and NFL stuff on Sundays. This is not just in Iowa, it happens in states with NFL teams like Wisconsin, Minnesota, Indiana, Illinois, and Michigan.

Northwestern should hire Jamie Pullhard as their AD. He would erect moar billboards around Chicawgo that make fun of teh Hox.

Ok but somebody's going to have to pay. At this point, I just know it will end up being us. Most of you (I'm 80) don't remember the first days of cable TV. When had anyone ever had to PAY for TV? It came free to your aerial (SP?) on your roof! Seemed ridiculous! But eventually, I visited friends who had been dumb enough to waste their money on this stuff, and realized I was missing a lot of what I wanted to see. So I bit the bullet,& bought cable. My current problem is that my cable company doesn't have some of the netwooks/programs I want. I'm willing to pay more for them, but they tell me lot's dont. Any suggestions?

papathawki, heading over to Kinnick for The Big Game. Whar red bull & vodka, pappy??

securedownload+(8).jpg

Well, gosh, It's Bud and scotch. & ya got the vehicle right, how'd you know I had that? Head'n for the hospital parking ramp (for about the 58th year. Prior to that, I just walked over from my room at the Quad. & prior to that just walked over from my brother's room at the quad. What do you drive to the games Scorp? Bet it's not as neat as my (bought it over in England) vehicle.

Well, gosh, It's Bud and scotch. & ya got the vehicle right, how'd you know I had that? Head'n for the hospital parking ramp (for about the 58th year. Prior to that, I just walked over from my room at the Quad. & prior to that just walked over from my brother's room at the quad. What do you drive to the games Scorp? Bet it's not as neat as my (bought it over in England) vehicle.

You're a good ol' sport, Papa. I admire your vim and vigor in this, your 80th year.

I usually dive a rented SUV to the games in Iowa City, from O'Scare or Midway. I live far away from The Mothership, I'm sorry to say.

Northwestern has spent many marketing dollars trying to convince Chicago that they were Chicago's Big Ten school. I used to hear these advertisements on The Score all the time. A big reason why people in the big cities do not root for the local university is because many of them did not go to school there. If I graduated from Iowa and found a job in Chicago I would not instantly become a Northwestern fan just because they were closer. You put a nice stadium with a good atmosphere in a NFL town like Minnesota did with a decent team and the fans will show up. Northwestern desperately needs a new stadium to improve the college football atmosphere and you would see people show up.

Midwest loves their football, we wear our high school gear to support our team on Friday nights, college gear on Saturdays, and NFL stuff on Sundays. This is not just in Iowa, it happens in states with NFL teams like Wisconsin, Minnesota, Indiana, Illinois, and Michigan.

No shiny stadium will get people to go to Northwestern games. Wrigley is a dump but it sells out.

And um, can I get a show of hands here who wears high school gear? **Keeps hand down**

No shiny stadium will get people to go to Northwestern games. Wrigley is a dump but it sells out.

And um, can I get a show of hands here who wears high school gear? **Keeps hand down**

What is wrong with wearing high school stuff?

Lol at you comparing Ryan Field to Wrigley.

Latest posts