Technological shifts and the shortsightedness of B1G expansion

My gawd this is a dark day for Iowa fanz. I think I'll follow fakebullfrog's lead and become a prepper.

What kind of janky internet service do you have at your yurt?? You still rockin' the dial-up, brah?

The phone with internet browser I had in Japan over 10 years ago was faster than most residential service in the US. Japan and Korea have amazing networks due to massive population density, but as prices for hardware come down, that stuff will get deployed throughout the US.

Translation: I'm a prole who works weekends and I can't afford a totally choice HD cable package.

Okay_guy.jpg

I got Tuesdays off tho #weekdayFTW

The phone with internet browser I had in Japan over 10 years ago was faster than most residential service in the US. Japan and Korea have amazing networks due to massive population density, but as prices for hardware come down, that stuff will get deployed throughout the US.

Y'all need to give me some speeds (expressed in Mbps, both download and upload) to quantify these claims of "faster than".
My phone is fast when it's on 4G with many bars, but when it's on wifi in my house it is measurably faster.

Y'all need to give me some speeds (expressed in Mbps, both download and upload) to quantify these claims of "faster than".
My phone is fast when it's on 4G with many bars, but when it's on wifi in my house it is measurably faster.

Yeah, we saw how fast yours was because your employer is paying for a super fast package so you can post, err, work, more efficiently from home. You are a 1%er in that regard.

Yeah, we saw how fast yours was because your employer is paying for a super fast package so you can post, err, work, more efficiently from home. You are a 1%er in that regard.

The internet portion of my bundle is only ~$45, for 30 down x 5 up. I think that's a pretty fair price (regardless who pays it) for that level of stable speed.
Point is, 4G ain't that fast, at least not consistently, and it ain't cheap neither.

The internet portion of my bundle is only ~$45, for 30 down x 5 up. I think that's a pretty fair price (regardless who pays it) for that level of stable speed.
Point is, 4G ain't that fast, at least not consistently, and it ain't cheap neither.

Maybe your android is not fast enough to process all that data it is getting.

The source may shift, but my point is these college sports revenues right now are keyed in no small part today off of the involuntary purchases of very expensive sports networks by unwilling consumers. I do not think that model is sustainable and if the model shifts to a PPV model, there is no guarantee that the pie would remain nearly as large as it is today with all of these unwilling consumers sitting in the pool. If that shift occurs, Maryland and Rutgers will be massively dilutive to the Big Ten because they simply lack the numbers of rabid fans that the OSUs, PSUs, Michigans and Nebraskas of the world bring. On the other hand, perhaps Delaney envisions a scenario whereby the NCAA gets cut out of high revenue stuff like the NCAA basketball tourney and he lets us keep that money in the family with the Butlers of the world getting a much smaller nugget of the proceeds from the tournament. Not sure how likely that is in light of the NIT antitrust litigation against the NCAA though.

There are a ton of Midwest transplants that live in those markets.

There are a ton of Midwest transplants that live in those markets.

Yeah, no kidding. And about 2% of them are football fans. The rest are hipsters who moved to Brooklyn. You see, when you call Mediacom and say "Give me Big Ten Network" you're getting some gal from Iowa who will politely read a "I'm sorry to hear about your frustration, sir, and I will forward your concern to management" song and dance for you. And when 30 people cancel and tell Mediacom it is because of BTN they will say "Oh crap, we just lost 3% of our customers." Have you ever dealt with TWC in NYC? These are people who got rejected from Post Office and DMV jobs. Correction, Staten Islanders and NJ people who got rejected from Post Office and DMV jobs. The first time the 23 Rutgers fans who live in NYC call up and demand TWC to play ball, they will be met with a degree of hostility they have never encountered.

SVP and others disagree with the idea that UMD is not a big deal in DC and Baltimore

Who the hell is SVP? You see, the Big Ten footprint has an advantage because a lot of teams have monopolies on football in their areas or if they don't, they have really crappy adjacent NFL franchises (like the Lions and Browns) or very rabid fanbases in their states who can support multiple teams (like the folks in Wisconsin). I just really don't see Maryland fan upping the ante and convincing folks in DC to follow, let alone subsidize, another team besides the 'Skins or folks in Baltimore to follow another team besides the Ravens. And when bowl season comes around, I don't expect Maryland or Rutgers to deliver butts in the seats that Iowa, Nebraska, Wisconsin, etc. can deliver. Unless there is a grand plan for a few super conferences to shut out the NCAA from certain things (and hoard all the cash), this is a really bad deal for the legacy members long term.

And that is why you're smart, Ghost. I can't ditch cable because my wife MUST HAVE Japan TV and we basically get basic for free due to a key easement our building gave to the cable company for a big piece of switching equipment, but a lot of my friends who make a lot of money have ditched it. I hate to admit it, but I didn't get to see the Iowa-Michigan game live because I was at a friend's place for a 3 year old's birthday party and they didn't have cable. As austerity measures are implemented and food and gas prices trend upward in a labor market with sticky wages, many more consumers will be cutting the cable cord to pay for necessities. I guarantee it. Our empire is dying and a "non-profit" institution that many of us attended and have supported in countless ways is attempting to gouge more money out of those who can least afford it.

Great discussion, Ghost and O'Keefe. I feel like you two are the kind of guys I should go to for advice.

Funny enough, calling the cable company and downgrading our service was on my to do list today. My wife and I live in Seattle, and we pay $132 a month for our cable/internet package. Nothing fancy, just the cheapest package that gives you the BTN, plus DVR for a few extra bucks a month. Forget the BTN for a minute, what's the cheapest alternative for piecing together a basic TV and internet deal? TV from satellite and internet from someone else?

Great discussion, Ghost and O'Keefe. I feel like you two are the kind of guys I should go to for advice.

Funny enough, calling the cable company and downgrading our service was on my to do list today. My wife and I live in Seattle, and we pay $132 a month for our cable/internet package. Nothing fancy, just the cheapest package that gives you the BTN, plus DVR for a few extra bucks a month. Forget the BTN for a minute, what's the cheapest alternative for piecing together a basic TV and internet deal? TV from satellite and internet from someone else?

No clue, but what I do know is that if you can find internet for say $40 a month that leaves you $92 a month (or $1104 per annum) for other things, including going to bars to watch games, Netflix subscriptions, downloads from Hulu and Apple, etc. One of my friends who ditched cable uses his mother's ESPN logon to watch games on his iPad and has a way to run it through his TV. He will come over to my place occasionally when his team (the Badgers) are playing on BTN or we will meet at the bar to watch it. Live sports are all that cable has to hang their hat on, but most of us don't watch 99% of the crap sports content they are charging us for.

Have you ever dealt with TWC in NYC? These are people who got rejected from Post Office and DMV jobs. Correction, Staten Islanders and NJ people who got rejected from Post Office and DMV jobs. The first time the 23 Rutgers fans who live in NYC call up and demand TWC to play ball, they will be met with a degree of hostility they have never encountered.

Post of the freaking year.

Latest posts