Team still has a "losers mentality"

HawkeyeRyno

Banned
Keep in mind Iowa only lost ONE player from a team that has lost 20 games in back-to-back seasons. So that leaves a lot of players who haven't ever experienced a winning culture around this program. They have a "losing mentality" because that's all they have known. This is the biggest challenge for Fran. Once Lickliter's guys are gone, then that should improve. The fact still remains this team would find it tough to compete in some mid-major conferences because of both this mentality and lack of talent. Iowa still only has talent really that is of mid-major grade. That changes next season when we should start seeing a different mindset and caliber of athlete. I'm not sure why so many were expecting so much from this team because I didn't, I kept in mind what I just stated above.

I have a different attitude toward Fran and basketball because the guy is only in year 2 of a historical mess he's trying to clean up and change an entire mindset of both fans and players. Kirk on the other hand is a 13 year veteran and more is expected out his teams because he's done it and should maintain it. Kirk has less excuses for failure because of his success in the past. You know he can, so more is expected of him.

Keep in mind Iowa only lost ONE player from a team that has lost 20 games in back-to-back seasons. So that leaves a lot of players who haven't ever experienced a winning culture around this program. They have a "losing mentality" because that's all they have known. This is the biggest challenge for Fran. Once Lickliter's guys are gone, then that should improve. The fact still remains this team would find it tough to compete in some mid-major conferences because of both this mentality and lack of talent. Iowa still only has talent really that is of mid-major grade. That changes next season when we should start seeing a different mindset and caliber of athlete. I'm not sure why so many were expecting so much from this team because I didn't, I kept in mind what I just stated above.

I have a different attitude toward Fran and basketball because the guy is only in year 2 of a historical mess he's trying to clean up and change an entire mindset of both fans and players. Kirk on the other hand is a 13 year veteran and more is expected out his teams because he's done it and should maintain it. Kirk has less excuses for failure because of his success in the past. You know he can, so more is expected of him.

Wow, I agree 100% with Ryno, never thought that would happen

Great post

There aren't very many guys on the team that ever played for Lick.

Gatens: one of the things you can guarantee, is that he doesn't have a loser's mentality. He brings max effort every night out.

Brommer
Archie
May

That's not a very large portion of the team, since Gatens doesn't fit the loser's mentality profile. And it's become pretty evident that Cole was a much more important player than we could have ever imagined.

That's two Lick-era players in the past two seasons, that have been the two best leaders.

Gatens: one of the things you can guarantee, is that he doesn't have a loser's mentality. He brings max effort every night out.

Brommer
Archie
May

That's not a very large portion of the team, since Gatens doesn't fit the loser's mentality profile. And it's become pretty evident that Cole was a much more important player than we could have ever imagined.

That's two Lick-era players in the past two seasons, that have been the two best leaders.

No one on this team has been on a winning team...his Lick comment was wrong but this team (other than the freshman) havent experienced much success

Wow, I agree 100% with Ryno, never thought that would happen

Great post

Thanks Bus. I know I'm negative at times with football staff, just wanted to show why. To me, it's just unacceptable for someone 13 years into a job to be so inept at times. In the working world that would be considered burnout.
Now if Fran is losing to Creighton and Campbell in 2 more years, then my attitude will change as will yours I'm sure.

There are a number of coaches that have an impact quickly on a program. People might want to slow down on all the excuses and look at the decisions that have been made. The coaching staff is ultimately responsible for performance.

Brommer
Archie
May

You're correct. I meant Lick's players but also entailed that Fran's guys endured the same losing mentality last season.

I'm not sure I agree with this. Next year if we start winning, we will still have many players on the roster who have known nothing but losing at the college level but the true freshman come in and bring a winners mentality?

Why doesn't Ogelsby or White bring this winners mentality this year?

I guess I'm not buying what you're selling.

I'm not sure I agree with this. Next year if we start winning, we will still have many players on the roster who have known nothing but losing at the college level but the true freshman come in and bring a winners mentality?

Because Ogelsby and White arent significant contributors or leaders on this team

It's not so much these last two losses that have we questioning things, but it's that we lost by almost 50 points to mid major teams. I don't care how good those teams are, that should not happen.

Until tonight they'd been the most promising players. And IF they start winning next season, then these "losing mentality" guys change in attitudes would probably be the most noticeable and hopefully lead to more improvement.

Ok... I think the talent argument you made in another thread would still hold serve. Next years recurit bring talent, not a mentality.

The counter to that is next year there will be Ogelsby, White and the 4 incoming recruits. None of them may be leaders but that will be 6 guys still "used to" winning and with the talent they have the mentality and will begin to change and we will see success (hopefully)

They all come from winning programs at some point....They all know what it is like to win games. I don't believe for one second they are satisfied with the way they are playing.

That being said; adjustments need to be made. I do my best to follow closely and listed to a lot of the game tonight. I think Oglesby needs to be on the floor more...he has proven by far to be their most effective outside shooter. This team is struggling to score pts and shot something like 37% tonight...put a better shooter on the floor. I'm sorry but May doesn't have "it" on the offensive end. He's a pretty good defender but the offense really bog's down when he is involved. Even with May playing a lot Campbell shot 65% from the field...how much better can the opponent shoot by having Oglesby in instead?!

I think loyalties need to go out the door and Fran needs to send a message that no one is guaranteed playing time. Basabe has been horrendous and he doesn't seem to give the effort that some of the other guys give. Basabe is not talented enough that he can take plays off and still be a good Big Ten player. He is not looking like a good mid major player right now.

Play the guys that play hard and hopefully some of that catches on with the other guys....I can handle losing games, but not when the players are not giving it their all.

The counter to that is next year there will be Ogelsby, White and the 4 incoming recruits. None of them may be leaders but that will be 6 guys still "used to" winning and with the talent they have the mentality and will begin to change and we will see success (hopefully)

How many Division 1 players aren't "used to" winning?

Using Gatens as an example, he came won a state title in high school. Does that mentality go away?

Latest posts