TC and the draft

It really bugs when I watch the NBA and see players from other B1G schools on NBA rosters. Just off the top of my head there's Michigan St, Michigan, Indiana, Ohio St, Purude, Maryland......the Hawks.....zip

Uthoff would have been a late 2nd round pick if he was willing to be stashed overseas. He told teams he wasn't interested and instead chose to try to get to the NBA via the G League. That way no team held his rights and he could sign with the best situation.

Yep. If I remember correctly, he went with the Kings for the summer league then signed with Toronto.

TC clearly has more raw athleticism than any of the other Hawks who made a run at the NBA of late. NBA teams will take a flier on athletes. You can develop a better jump shot. You usually don't learn to jump higher. For that reason, I give him more than a punchers chance of being drafted and sticking to someone's bench.

I know these kids don't get rich playing overseas, but if I had to choose between putsing around stinky, half filled gyms in the G-League, or spending the better part of my 20s traveling the world on someone else's dime, I will take the latter. Play out the string as long as you can and see the world, then move back to Iowa and sell annuities and raise a family. Not a bad deal at all.

I know these kids don't get rich playing overseas, but if I had to choose between putsing around stinky, half filled gyms in the G-League, or spending the better part of my 20s traveling the world on someone else's dime, I will take the latter. Play out the string as long as you can and see the world, then move back to Iowa and sell annuities and raise a family. Not a bad deal at all.

Yep all they need to do is not completely embarrass the program while they're in IC and get a degree in something and they'll have plenty of career opportunities when they come back.

Depends on your definition of rich. They can live very comfortably for life after a 10 year career overseas. Come home and raise a family in the U.S.

It really bugs when I watch the NBA and see players from other B1G schools on NBA rosters. Just off the top of my head there's Michigan St, Michigan, Indiana, Ohio St, Purude, Maryland......the Hawks.....zip
It’s as if they have built in advantages. We get our share of the top in state talent. Most of the top in state Iowa talent isn’t NBA caliber. The top Michigan, Indiana, Ohio and Maryland ( East Coast) talent is NBA material.

I wonder how much of the world they get to see. Probably need to make it happen for themselves.

Anybody know what the overseas salary ranges are? I would think if you played overseas for 10 years you'd have a nice chunk of change saved up, assuming you save some. Aaron White seems to be making playing in Europe a career so it must be working for him.

Anybody know what the overseas salary ranges are? I would think if you played overseas for 10 years you'd have a nice chunk of change saved up, assuming you save some. Aaron White seems to be making playing in Europe a career so it must be working for him.

Last I read it's about $100k USD per year. And apparently a lot of the contracts cover housing and personal travel as well. So they're not crazy NBA numbers, but it's certainly not chump change either.

I have no idea how I ended up viewing Jayson tatums Snapchat but he was hanging out with Tyler cook recently with tatums son. He captioned the video and called Tyler "uncle TC".

Pretty cool to see. I have nothing else to add

I read an article that the G-League pays around $30k and the Euroleagues pay an average of $60k. Add to that the fact that you can live in housing and have personal transportation paid for in the Euroleagues and it's really a no-brainer if the player wants the cash.

I read an article that the G-League pays around $30k and the Euroleagues pay an average of $60k. Add to that the fact that you can live in housing and have personal transportation paid for in the Euroleagues and it's really a no-brainer if the player wants the cash.

G league minimum is now $35k. It comes out to $7000 a month for 5 months.

Most Overseas leagues still pay a lot better but with the g league you're hoping for a 2-way contract or a call up. That's when the real money starts coming in

A high school teammate of mine played overseas for years and he said the money was tax free, the housing and food was free too as was the medical care. So their only real expenses are recreational. It's a really good deal

G league minimum is now $35k. It comes out to $7000 a month for 5 months.

Most Overseas leagues still pay a lot better but with the g league you're hoping for a 2-way contract or a call up. That's when the real money starts coming in

A high school teammate of mine played overseas for years and he said the money was tax free, the housing and food was free too as was the medical care. So their only real expenses are recreational. It's a really good deal

Yep, with the foreign earned income exclusion (essentially a tax credit) the income players earn overseas is tax free for the first $100K or so plus some various expenses. Granted they have to meet the physical presence test ie 330 days being in a foreign country or the bonafide residence test etc.

Anything over the exclusion amount is taxed at the tax rate as it would be at if the exclusion wasn't used. In other words if a player makes 150K overseas, the first 100K or so would be excluded but the extra 50K is taxed at the rate as if it was 150K. Avoids people from being taxed at the lowest rates for the excess.

That said, my understanding is that most don't make enough overseas to go beyond the exclusion but I could be wrong.

It’s as if they have built in advantages. We get our share of the top in state talent. Most of the top in state Iowa talent isn’t NBA caliber. The top Michigan, Indiana, Ohio and Maryland ( East Coast) talent is NBA material.

The state has been producing enough top talent to be elite. In Fran's era alone. Barnes, Paige, Woodbury, Jok, Weiskamp, Carton, Foster. Fran's career looks entirely different if he was able to lock down the state from day 1.

The state has been producing enough top talent to be elite. In Fran's era alone. Barnes, Paige, Woodbury, Jok, Weiskamp, Carton, Foster. Fran's career looks entirely different if he was able to lock down the state from day 1.
To me that's more of a mark of success than just the wins and losses. If you can't lock down little 'ol Iowa, that's very telling. Yeah I get it, kids wanna play for a natty and places like Kansas and North Carolina give them better odds to do that, but come on. At some point you have to win at least a few of these recruiting battles.

edit: Sure we got Woody from going to NC, but as it turns out would he have seen much playing time if he'd have gone with Roy?

To me that's more of a mark of success than just the wins and losses. If you can't lock down little 'ol Iowa, that's very telling. Yeah I get it, kids wanna play for a natty and places like Kansas and North Carolina give them better odds to do that, but come on. At some point you have to win at least a few of these recruiting battles.

edit: Sure we got Woody from going to NC, but as it turns out would he have seen much playing time if he'd have gone with Roy?

It's hard to say because all we can do is speculate. I would guess though that Roy Boy would have developed Woody faster and better.

Fran needs to hit on Foster to save his in state batting average. Missing on Paige and Carton were big strikes especially at the ever elusive PG spot. Missing on Foster could cause a booster or 2 to start grumbling.

Yep, with the foreign earned income exclusion (essentially a tax credit) the income players earn overseas is tax free for the first $100K or so plus some various expenses. Granted they have to meet the physical presence test ie 330 days being in a foreign country or the bonafide residence test etc.

Anything over the exclusion amount is taxed at the tax rate as it would be at if the exclusion wasn't used. In other words if a player makes 150K overseas, the first 100K or so would be excluded but the extra 50K is taxed at the rate as if it was 150K. Avoids people from being taxed at the lowest rates for the excess.

That said, my understanding is that most don't make enough overseas to go beyond the exclusion but I could be wrong.

I think their top draft picks make a milli or 2.