Talkin Tillison

Ikeasaurus

The two deeps I saw didn't show him listed, I may have not seen the most recent, but I'm curious to know if anyone has any info on his progress or what anyones thoughts on his chances of seeing action this year. I believe he has two full years left, but does he have to sit out this year?

Thanks,
Curiously Ignorant

My guess he's down on the depth chart because he wasn't with the team last year. I bet he'll be special teams player this year. And then next year with 3 LBs graduating, he'll compete with for a 2-deep spot, the 4th LB in the 3-4 package spot, and possibly a starting spot at WILL.

I thought he only has one year of eligibility left...and is listed as a senior on the roster. it would be nice to have him back for another year though.

I thought he looked pretty good last Saturday and with Ross Peterson's injury he may be #2 behind Nielson on the depth chart.

He definitely looks like he filled out and could play LB at this level. I agree with drew003...takes a lot of courage to swallow that pride and come back to a place where you thought the coaches were making a mistake. Good for Lance!!

I hope he sees his fair share of playing time...I'm sure it'll start on special teams and go from there.

could anyone confirm how much eligibility he has left..thanks.

Tillison was in the recruiting class of 2006. So that is when the clock started. He gets 5 years to play 4 so he had to take a redshirt at some point and 2010 is his 5th year. So this should be it for him.

Tillison was in the recruiting class of 2006. So that is when the clock started. He gets 5 years to play 4 so he had to take a redshirt at some point and 2010 is his 5th year. So this should be it for him.

Yeah it should be. Too bad he left, he may have been able to compete for a starting gig if he stayed. Maybe there is some kind of waiver out there that he may get a 6th year, but who knows. Could you imagine the LB depth had Coleman decided to stay. I believe he had another year left after this year also, because the coaches had planned on redshirting him. Awww the what ifs.

I just wonder if the clock stops if you actually leave school and don't play for another team. I know kids who go on Mormon missions or military service get the clock to stop. I don't know. However, I suppose he had a scholarship with Texas Southern. Then again, he might not have used it as I think he left before the summer was out. Interesting fact is I see him listed as a DB and a DL in different lists there. Might be that he showed up there and they also realized that he wasn't a DB. Might have tried to make him a rush end and that is what made the light bulb go on.

It would be nice if someone who has media connections to the team and the Big Ten could answer this question once and for all for us.

Just seems an odd choice to come back to Iowa if what he really wants is to play linebacker if he only has one year of eligibility remaining. That is, unless he is just trying to finish what he started. But by the way he talks it seems like he might be thinking of continuing his playing career.

If he did just come back to finish what he started and is willing to pay his way and contribute on special teams this year and graduate, more power to him. I would say he is probably a bigger man than me.

Last edited:
I just wonder if the clock stops if you actually leave school and don't play for another team. I know kids who go on Mormon missions or military service get the clock to stop. I don't know. However, I suppose he had a scholarship with Texas Southern. Then again, he might not have used it as I think he left before the summer was out. Interesting fact is I see him listed as a DB and a DL in different lists there. Might be that he showed up there and they also realized that he wasn't a DB. Might have tried to make him a rush end and that is what made the light bulb go on.

It would be nice if someone who has media connections to the team and the Big Ten could answer this question once and for all for us.

Just seems an odd choice to come back to Iowa if what he really wants is to play linebacker if he only has one year of eligibility remaining. That is, unless he is just trying to finish what he started. But by the way he talks it seems like he might be thinking of continuing his playing career.

If he did just come back to finish what he started and is willing to pay his way and contribute on special teams this year and graduate, more power to him. I would say he is probably a bigger man than me.

doesn't that video/article above state that he joined a team, albeit briefly?

It sounds like he joined, but didn't play any games. From how I take it he got there and they also realized he wasn't a DB.

I know he got a behind after the spring period. He had both arms in casts for a long time, and still had a cast on one of his arms 4-5 weeks ago.

It sounds like he joined, but didn't play any games. From how I take it he got there and they also realized he wasn't a DB.

No when he got there, they had a real screw up with transcripts. He was never even allowed to practice.

The clock doesn't stop. Military service and/or religious missions are pretty much the primary exceptions to the rule.

I just checked the rule-book. I was wrong before (before editing this post).

Last edited:

Latest posts