Talked briefly with Reese Morgan today

i have enjoyed watching both Stanzi and Vandenberg. I have a hard time comparing either of them because they played on different teams. The only way I think you can is by comparing how they fared as juniors at this point. In Stanzi's junior year he had unproven RBs (again), a stud offensive line, Tony Meaki, Mcnutt, DJK, and arguably the best defense I've ever seen at Iowa. It was a great season but Rick often struggled until it really mattered in games and those times are why we all love him. Last season Vandenberg had a good offensive line, a very mediocre performance from the TEs (compared to what we've grown accustomed to), unproven RBs, and beast mode Mcnutt for most of the season. Kmart and Davis where good as well. The defense was the poorest we've seen in quite some time. Statistically speaking Vandenberg had a superior season as a junior but the teams where as I said very different. It's nearly impossible to compare them until after this season is over. Obviously I enjoyed seeing Iowa pound GT in the Orange bowl but at the same time I wonder what may have been if Stanzi had a season like Vandy did last year. Maybe Iowa wouldn't have needed the late game heroics. sure Vandy had trouble picking up the blitz but Rick couldn't throw to the flat without it going the other way. Who knows and who cares. I loved watching Iowa win three straight bowl games and watching the current team build for this season and the next few is great as well.

It's also too bad our defense couldn't read a blitz coming better too...that is where JVB's greatest improvement will have to come. He definitely has the physical tools.

Nailed it.

He performed rather poorly, especially on the road, against good defenses, IMHO.

The whole thing with Garmon reminds me of JVB 12 months ago. All the quotes went something like this: "Oh thank God for JVB, he'll be such an upgrade from RickSix. Can't wait for him to make us forget Stanzi."

I think Stanzi did a pretty good job in 2010 of trying to make people forget about him.

Going 7-5 with twice the amount of talent around him that JVB had.

Last edited:
I still think j v b will be better than stanzi.

Comparing their junior seasons JVB was way better statistically.

Give Stanzi the 2011 D and he loses four or five maybe even six games in 2009.

If you compare Stanzi in 2010 with JVB 2011 they both put up good numbers and they both lost five games including one apiece to the worst team in the league.

Then there were A LOT of people who are absolutely ******* clueless.

Agree completely. I definitely don't recall people saying that JVB would be better than Stanzi. People on here who blame Stanzi for our going 7-5 his senior season don't know what the hell they're talking about. It was his best season statistically, and it was our defense that let us down time and again at the end of games. Additionally, poor play calling didn't help the situation. Stanzi played great his senior season. He significantly reduced his turnovers, and put up great numbers against a much tougher schedule than JVB faced last season. He also didn't disappear completely on the road. I will take Stanzi's leadership and steady presence over JVB. That's not to say JVB isn't a good quarterback, he is, but if people actually wanted JVB in place of Stanzi then they're...well, I won't go there since we're not supposed to be rude to other posters. : )

I think Stanzi did a pretty good job in 2010 of trying to make people forget about him.

Yea, it's a shame he couldn't play defense at the end of games that year. It's not like he was doing well on offense. Your whole comment is ridiculous.

The whole thing with Garmon reminds me of JVB 12 months ago. All the quotes went something like this: "Oh thank God for JVB, he'll be such an upgrade from RickSix. Can't wait for him to make us forget Stanzi."

One 7-6 season later that included a Bowl loss and JVB didn't make any of us forget Stanzi. In fact Captain America's memory grows stronger with time. So for those proclaiming Garmon the next Greene, let's temper our expectations with individual players (but not for the season as a whole:D).

Hmmm...give JVB a top 10 defense to play with, which Stanzi had for three years, and memories would be much more favorable to last year's season. The 2009 defense kept Stanzi from being called "Goatzi".

I ran into Reese Morgan today at work and we chatted briefly about the team. He said that he didn't really get to see Garmon really workout yet, and said the team was probably going to fly by under the radar this year. He said we need some players to definitely step up because everyone was so young.

He said that Greg Davis would implement some more fullback gives than we previously have in the past. He seemed kinda iffy on the whole rb situation but he mentioned De'Andre the most as we were talking, so I think he has the ticket thus far.

We will see what happens with Hill and Garmon as camp opens up.

That is all.

Hey, thanks for asking the DL coach about our running backs. Lord knows we are set in the DLine and not much of a story line there. Geraldo Rivera you are not.

Hmmm...give JVB a top 10 defense to play with, which Stanzi had for three years, and memories would be much more favorable to last year's season. The 2009 defense kept Stanzi from being called "Goatzi".

Although I don't agree with the "Goatzi" part, if last year's defense would have been like the ones Stanzi played with, most people's feelings about JVB would improve tremendously.

Agree completely. I definitely don't recall people saying that JVB would be better than Stanzi. People on here who blame Stanzi for our going 7-5 his senior season don't know what the hell they're talking about. It was his best season statistically, and it was our defense that let us down time and again at the end of games. Additionally, poor play calling didn't help the situation. Stanzi played great his senior season. He significantly reduced his turnovers, and put up great numbers against a much tougher schedule than JVB faced last season. He also didn't disappear completely on the road. I will take Stanzi's leadership and steady presence over JVB. That's not to say JVB isn't a good quarterback, he is, but if people actually wanted JVB in place of Stanzi then they're...well, I won't go there since we're not supposed to be rude to other posters. : )

As far as Stanzi's senior season I agree 100% but if we compare Stanzi's junior season to Vandy last season there is most definitely a debate. However, as I said before it isn't worth comparing them as a whole until after this season is in the memory bank.

I ran into Reese Morgan today at work and we chatted briefly about the team. He said that he didn't really get to see Garmon really workout yet, and said the team was probably going to fly by under the radar this year. He said we need some players to definitely step up because everyone was so young. He said that Greg Davis would implement some more fullback gives than we previously have in the past. He seemed kinda iffy on the whole rb situation but he mentioned De'Andre the most as we were talking, so I think he has the ticket thus far. We will see what happens with Hill and Garmon as camp opens up.That is all.
Hey, thanks for asking the DL coach about our running backs. Lord knows we are set in the DLine and not much of a story line there. Geraldo Rivera you are not.

he just said they needed to step up and as he was turning to walk away I asked about garmon.

I see your edit failed to take the idiocy out of your comment.

Latest posts