Takeaways: Hawkeyes Stumble in Madison

You just spoke out of both sides of your mouth btw. Good objective post...but let's try this. But yet you mock those who suggest it. Nice
???????????????

I think he has objective takes. What is contradicting? You can play shitty on the road and also expect the coaches to try to find solutions. I'm not saying we should just expect shitty play on the road and that it is fine.

Is your bipolar creeping in again?

Last edited:
???????????????

I think he has objective takes. What is contradicting? You can play shitty on the road and also expect the coaches to try to find solutions. I'm not saying we should just expect shitty play on the road and that it is fine.

Is your bipolar creeping in again?
Was wondering that in reverse. He's made it clear that no changes should or can be made this late. It's not a good take. But you agreed and then said changes can be made.

And maybe there is a reason for shit games.

How old are you? Did you never watch and listen to Lute, AL McGuire and others. These are college students. They are highly competitive and smart going against highly competitive and smart players. The issue is in the half court and if the don't adjust it is going to be an ugly end.

Never count out Fran but he is oft slow to get to counting.
I am old enough to remember watching Lute coached teams. I mean, I wasn't close friends with him like you were, but I enjoyed his teams and was sad when he left for AZ. I assume you said warm things about him when you gave his eulogy.

I sure hope Fran can learn how to coach gooder soon too.

I really don't know the answer. When is the last time the Hawks fouled out an opponent? How oft?
Announcers routinely bring up the fact that Iowa makes more free throws than their opponents attempt. It's one of Fran's calling cards, get to the line.

Wisconsin, on the other hand, is known for playing tight defense and NOT fouling. Add in the fact that the officials were letting a lot of stuff go, we weren't going to make a living at the foul line against them.

I am old enough to remember watching Lute coached teams. I mean, I wasn't close friends with him like you were, but I enjoyed his teams and was sad when he left for AZ. I assume you said warm things about him when you gave his eulogy.

@HawkGold was busy during that time showing Red Auerbach what he needed to do to fix Larry Bird's shot and helping him install the double-Y flex hybrid quarter wing post bump out double phase. I read in SI that Bob McAdoo credited it with keeping him in the league for a few more years. It's just coaching, really.

The Celtics probably would've put him on staff had he not taken that job in Finland working on cold-weather seed germination research for the World Food Bank.

Iowa is playing closely to a bubble team, like most of us either thought or thought wasn't possible. That's who they are. I don't believe this team is poised for some big run but I also have thought previous teams were "poised for a run" that got bounced in the 1st round. The fact is, it's not something you can really project. Teams get hot, teams get cold, ya don't know if that is going to happen as a 8 seed or a 5 seed.

Iowa won 9 of 12 games to get to this place, now has dropped 2 on the road. My guess is they win their games at home, lose their games on the road, get 7/8/9 and then - who knows? No one knows. The team is too inconsistent to expect much more than a round 1 win, but again, other teams have been poised and don't do shit. They also could get in a game where they nail 10+ threes and can't miss.

That's why all I've ever asked is get us to the dance, the rest will work itself out and a lot of that has to do with draw, matchups and circumstances.

@HawkGold was busy during that time showing Red Auerbach what he needed to do to fix Larry Bird's shot and helping him install the double-Y flex hybrid quarter wing post bump out double phase. I read in SI that Bob McAdoo credited it with keeping him in the league for a few more years. It's just coaching, really.

The Celtics probably would've put him on staff had he not taken that job in Finland working on cold-weather seed germination research for the World Food Bank.
Well at least the page is getting some posts.

When are you going to contact Barta and boosters about KF and what to do? Let me guess, you wrote Brian's contract?

Announcers routinely bring up the fact that Iowa makes more free throws than their opponents attempt. It's one of Fran's calling cards, get to the line.

Wisconsin, on the other hand, is known for playing tight defense and NOT fouling. Add in the fact that the officials were letting a lot of stuff go, we weren't going to make a living at the foul line against them.
on this game yes. There is an art to not getting fouled. You learn what the refs allow. Some say the hand in an extension of the ball. Swiping in across the body is most usually going to get called. Swiping outward across the body is not as likely to get called. That is a coaching thing. It is a reason why MSU and W seemingly get away with more, not just because it's Izzo and W. Both teams regardless of how good they are tend to be very well versed in little things about fundamentals.

Making more free throws than you opponent to me is a worthless stat. Just about every team who is typically better than .500, shoots more free throws than their opponents attempt.

giphy.gif

Iowa is playing closely to a bubble team, like most of us either thought or thought wasn't possible. That's who they are. I don't believe this team is poised for some big run but I also have thought previous teams were "poised for a run" that got bounced in the 1st round. The fact is, it's not something you can really project. Teams get hot, teams get cold, ya don't know if that is going to happen as a 8 seed or a 5 seed.

Iowa won 9 of 12 games to get to this place, now has dropped 2 on the road. My guess is they win their games at home, lose their games on the road, get 7/8/9 and then - who knows? No one knows. The team is too inconsistent to expect much more than a round 1 win, but again, other teams have been poised and don't do shit. They also could get in a game where they nail 10+ threes and can't miss.

That's why all I've ever asked is get us to the dance, the rest will work itself out and a lot of that has to do with draw, matchups and circumstances.
This sums up pretty well how I feel. I think some people got a little ahead of themselves when we won the 9 of 12 games. I've never thought that this was a "make-it-to-the-second-round" team but as InGoodCo points out, you never know what will happen. But I think we are trending to an 8-9 seed and would give us a tough matchup in the second round no matter who it ends up being (if we're lucky enough to advance to that round).

The last two losses are representative of what this team is. Not a great road team and pretty inconsistent. It probably plays out similar next Tuesday against Indiana on the road.

Making more free throws than you opponent to me is a worthless stat. Just about every team who is typically better than .500, shoots more free throws than their opponents attempt.
I was replying to a post by HawkGold that suggested that we weren't successful at drawing fouls. You might be right, it is a meaningless stat but there are a lot of teams that don't do it. Fran's teams have been pretty good at drawing fouls and converting at the line, which was my bigger point.

LM f'in g azz off!! I literally would have spit beer out if consuming.

There aren't many teams more disciplined than Wisky over the years, that is for sure. Like you point out above, and, they usually are one of the lower teams with turnovers. Had a few last night but they were always known for that.

Nailed it. We see it all the time in the NCAA, an obscure team gets on a run because they are shooting outside well for a number of games. Sometimes it's just fate. I don't know what is going to happen, but anything could happen.

I do know Iowa is only going to go as far as their outside shooting. 35% accuracy seems to be the low bar they have to at least shoot. This to pull out defenders and open the game up on offense.

on this game yes. There is an art to not getting fouled. You learn what the refs allow. Some say the hand in an extension of the ball. Swiping in across the body is most usually going to get called. Swiping outward across the body is not as likely to get called. That is a coaching thing. It is a reason why MSU and W seemingly get away with more, not just because it's Izzo and W. Both teams regardless of how good they are tend to be very well versed in little things about fundamentals.

Valid post. Coaches and teams definitely have to be versed and adjust to how the referees are calling the game. That is part of the game and coaching.

Latest posts