T or F: Fire Lick and fans come back....

Totally false.

This premise is faulty from the start...

A new coach only brings fans back if they sell hope... if they lose they would instantly go away.

TL will bring fans back as soon as he starts winning and has a team returning that people are confident will continue winning.

End.
Of.
Sotry.

False. If there was ever a time when such a spike should have occurred, it wasa when Alford left and Lick was hired. It really didn't matter then who was hired. It was the shadow of Alford being gone that should have caused the spike.

It didn't.

A relative handful of hard core fans would get excited, but for the great majority of fans, winning is the only thing that will brinig them back and some enthusiastic salemanship by a head coach would help, too. We aren't going to get the second thing out of Lick, and there's serious doubt aas to whether we'll ever get the first.

Believe it or not. And I think you do. This program has nose dived considerably since Alford left. People are searching for hope in any form possible. And that includes by many, the thought of a new coach.

If Lickliter were fired I would immediately get excited about IOWA basketball again. I would even drive him out of town to wherever he wanted to go. I would pay the gas (though he makes a lot more money that I do). I would buy the meals and pay for a room if he were going quite a distance from Iowa City. Lick, just leave. Gives us back our bb program. Give bb a chance again in Iowa. Go anywhere, just so it is away.

False if he is fired now. At the end of the season, maybe. It all depends on who is hired, if he is a salesman ( think Johnny Orr ), or a coach with a proven record ( and can sell it too ), and results seem genuine.

As it is, this dog wont hunt.

Therealforeverhawk,that was funny. I will ride with you. It is 4am,I am getting ready to go out and push snow. I am still laughing at your remark!

Don't know. I'm not a high paid AD who's job it is to find a the best coach. Are you saying we should just screw it and stick with getting pounded every night by even the worst teams in the Big10?

No, I'm saying we can't even find a coach right now that would possibily get the fan base excited. We ran Tom Davis out of town and then basically did the same to Alford. If we bail on Lick after 3 years, no coach is ever going to want to come here. We have players coming and if we lost them, there is NO HOPE. If there isn't dramatic improvement next year, then we jump ship.

No, I'm saying we can't even find a coach right now that would possibily get the fan base excited. We ran Tom Davis out of town and then basically did the same to Alford. If we bail on Lick after 3 years, no coach is ever going to want to come here. We have players coming and if we lost them, there is NO HOPE. If there isn't dramatic improvement next year, then we jump ship.

So you're saying one more year avoids all of that? I'm saying it only makes the problem worse. I'm very much willing to let it ride and see what Lick can do in year four. But in the end I think the outcome will be the same.

So you're saying one more year avoids all of that? I'm saying it only makes the problem worse. I'm very much willing to let it ride and see what Lick can do in year four. But in the end I think the outcome will be the same.

I'm saying you can't fire a guy after 3 years, future coaches that consider this job will look at that and say if I only get 3 years to win then I'm not going there. The outcome next year will not be a NCAA Tourny Bid, but if you think a new coach is going to come in and make the tourney your crazy. We probably lose 2 or 3 of our promising recruits coming in next year. And then the new coach comes in, he stinks and it's not his fault, and fans will be calling for his head after 2 years. We need to see how the season ends, and then how he does next year with some actual somewhat talented deep team. I'm not that sold on Lick at all, and do realize this more then likely may not work out. But if we bail on him now, I feel that we our definately screwed for years.

Lots of people said firing SA would instantly bring people back to the stands as well, look at how that turned out.

I think interest in the program goes up temporarily as people will be excited to see who the next coach is....but after the initial honeymoon period the apathetics will remain the same unless we win.

Its a simple equation -- Winning = fans coming back. Iowa bball fans are fair weather

Iowa bball fans are fair weather

Iowa fans are no different than fans anywhere else. If anything, we might be a little more patient than most. Also, times, ethics, values and options have changed. If Iowa went through a long streak of losing seasons in football like we did in the 60's and 70's, I guarantee you Kinnick would be a relative ghost town. It's not just Iowa and it's not just basketball.

All of that also means an AD can't afford to sit on his hands for as long as he once might have been able to.

It would depend on the hire. Would there be instant sell outs? No. But if the new guy weere to have at least a little hype around him, I think attendance would go up a little. How could it not? Look how bad it is now.
________
Laguna Bay II Condominium

Last edited:
This premise is faulty from the start...

A new coach only brings fans back if they sell hope... if they lose they would instantly go away.

TL will bring fans back as soon as he starts winning and has a team returning that people are confident will continue winning.

End.
Of.
Sotry.

WRONG! A new coach only brings back fans if we win 25 games. And the minute we have a rough year....say 15 wins.....everybody jumps back on the "fire our coach bandwagon".

People were calling for KF's job after the 6-6 year and NOW who's talking about that........no one. Why? Because he won the Orange Bowl. If he has another rough year say in a year or two, you'll be hearing the same stupid comments.

Whether Lickliter is right or wrong for the school, he needs a bit more time to prove himself. Player retention problems (some on him, some on the players) have cause him to start in a massive hole. Next year's class should help him get out a bit. If we see signs of falling deeper into the hole, or not getting further out, then fine, start talking buyout.

The fact remains Iowa fans have a knack for running BB coaches out of town - from Lute to Mr. Davis. Iowa City is a fishbowl and sometimes the fans shoot at it instead of putting food in it.

Just this once, let's sit back and see what happens. I know it's not started out well, but going back to the drawing boards is something I, as a fan, would prefer not to do.

Whether Lickliter is right or wrong for the school, he needs a bit more time to prove himself. Player retention problems (some on him, some on the players) have cause him to start in a massive hole. Next year's class should help him get out a bit. If we see signs of falling deeper into the hole, or not getting further out, then fine, start talking buyout.

The fact remains Iowa fans have a knack for running BB coaches out of town - from Lute to Mr. Davis. Iowa City is a fishbowl and sometimes the fans shoot at it instead of putting food in it.

Just this once, let's sit back and see what happens. I know it's not started out well, but going back to the drawing boards is something I, as a fan, would prefer not to do.

Unfortunately I don'tthink most of the fans posting this garbage are competent enough to wait.:rolleyes:

Get your freaking facts straight.

Iowa fans did not run Lute off. He and his wife, Bobbie, did not like the Iowa weather and Arizona was a great fit. They also had children living on the west coast.

Raveling left for USC because "there were no black people in Iowa City and he had to drive to Chicago to get a haircut."

Bob Bowlsby and Bill Krause decided not to extend Mr. Davis's contract.

Steve Alford sealed his fate with the Pierce fiasco.

Lickliter has no one to blame but himself. He is toast.

I go back and forth with my opinion on this. Part of me wants to start over now so we can get out of the hole sooner and part of me wants to see if things will be better next year. I guess i would say if there is a great hire available and willing to come i would cut the cord - if not, im ok with Lick for another year.

I just dont want to put ourselves in a position like ND football where we fire a coach ever 4 years. A couple more years of pain would be worth it if Lick can get it done....can he ever get it done? I dont know - if i had to guess at this point i am leaning towards no

Latest posts