Stuck with Fran, but ...

Okay. How about this logic? Every year he made a small incremental step forward. Next year a small incremental step forward would put us as a borderline NIT squad. Or put another way, Fran has never led us to the NCAA without at least going to the NIT championship game the prior year.

Again I just think it’s blind optimism, which is admirable and I certainly hope you’re right, but there is really no reasonable ground for you to stand on with that take unfortunately. Call me a pessimist, I consider myself a realist, I guess we won’t know until we know for sure.

I'm a realist too - my expectation is that things will not be like this next year. The Frosh will be Sophs, the Sophs will be Juniors and the staff will spend the entire off season concentrating on fixing an issue that didn't seem nearly as pressing last off season. If that's through transfers in or out, if that's through the addition of Joe W and Connor - if that's due to canning an assistant.... I don't care, but I expect it. If the expectation isn't met, I will be in your guys camp - right in line with all of your thinking. I am still one that thinks that this team is young, has no upperclass leaders and not enough guards. Next year will have a more mature team with better guard options at the 1 and 2. That's my opinion. If that makes me blind so be it.

Fran made the NIT finals in 14-15 and 15-16? Impressive if true.

I'm a realist too - my expectation is that things will not be like this next year. The Frosh will be Sophs, the Sophs will be Juniors and the staff will spend the entire off season concentrating on fixing an issue that didn't seem nearly as pressing last off season. If that's through transfers in or out, if that's through the addition of Joe W and Connor - if that's due to canning an assistant.... I don't care, but I expect it. If the expectation isn't met, I will be in your guys camp - right in line with all of your thinking. I am still one that thinks that this team is young, has no upperclass leaders and not enough guards. Next year will have a more mature team with better guard options at the 1 and 2. That's my opinion. If that makes me blind so be it.

Fran made the NIT finals in 14-15 and 15-16? Impressive if true.
Fran has never led us to the NCAA without at least going to the NIT championship the previous year. That’s not hard to follow.

Again I hope your right, but there are so many underlying issues to fix it seems like too tall of a task.

Fran has never led us to the NCAA without at least going to the NIT championship the previous year. That’s not hard to follow.

Again I hope your right, but there are so many underlying issues to fix it seems like too tall of a task.

It is hard for to follow - please explain

It's his job to fix it.

Who had Nebraska on the bubble this season? It's possible for teams to get better in the off season, just like it's possible for teams to get worse. We are witnessing that and we see it every single season all over the landscape of college basketball.

It's his job to fix it.

Who had Nebraska on the bubble this season? It's possible for teams to get better in the off season, just like it's possible for teams to get worse. We are witnessing that and we see it every single season all over the landscape of college basketball.
Iowa has made three tournaments under Fran. In each of those three years, the previous season either ended at the NCAA tournament or at the NIT championship game. They have never made the dance the season after a year that ended in no postseason or an early NIT loss. You can Wiki Iowa Basketball if you need more.

Nebraska did it by adding two impact transfers. Fran has been against transfers for the most part, and even if we did add one or two they’d struggle to get enough minutes in Fran’s 11 man system.

OSU has done it by bringing in a new coach with a new philosophy, and by bringing back a player from injury who is going to be the player of the year in the conference. They’ve also taken advantage of a down conference.

For every two stories like the above there are 100 stories of a team sucking one year sucking again the next year. Again I think it’s kind of just your own blind hope that Fran will somehow right the ship, but there really isn’t any signs that anything like the above will happen.

Iowa has made three tournaments under Fran. In each of those three years, the previous season either ended at the NCAA tournament or at the NIT championship game. They have never made the dance the season after a year that ended in no postseason or an early NIT loss. You can Wiki Iowa Basketball if you need more.

Nebraska did it by adding two impact transfers. Fran has been against transfers for the most part, and even if we did add one or two they’d struggle to get enough minutes in Fran’s 11 man system.

OSU has done it by bringing in a new coach with a new philosophy, and by bringing back a player from injury who is going to be the player of the year in the conference. They’ve also taken advantage of a down conference.

For every two stories like the above there are 100 stories of a team sucking one year sucking again the next year. Again I think it’s kind of just your own blind hope that Fran will somehow right the ship, but there really isn’t any signs that anything like the above will happen.

13luad.jpg

ok - I understand what you were saying now - sorry... but you did say "Fran has never led us to the NCAA without at least going to the NIT championship game the prior year."... and I read that just as its stated. That we had to reach at least the NIT finals each year before we make the dance.

I get your stance too - it's 1000% an uphill battle that will be miraculous if accomplished. I just see fortunes for teams change quickly in sport. Does it look it will happen? No. Not even those most optimistic fan probably thinks it will. But what I am willing to do is let Fran try and sort it out. I feel he's done enough for me as a fan to let him do it. Everyone has their own opinion on it, I don't think any one is wrong cause honestly I don't know.

Yeah those fortunes change when you have a good coach, bring in recruits to fix the problem, etc. We return pretty much everyone, the same coach and don't add anyone to fix our defensive woes. It's not like this team is going to get that much better defensively by who we add next year.

By that logic, the defense shouldn't be much much worse than it was last year, since really only Jok is gone off that team and he wasn't exactly known for his defense. It wasn't great last year but was passable enough to help Iowa get on the bubble.

It's his job to fix it.

This doesn't make any sense. I have been told, repeatedly, that Fran took over such a poor roster, it was reasonable to expect 3 seasons to get things turned around. Gutless Gary won't even factor Fran's first 2 seasons into any contract metric he discusses. Now that Fran has assembled a Lickliter quality roster, he can turn it around in 1 OFF SEASON? How? How? H....how? Why couldn't he wave this same magic wand back in 2010?

This doesn't make any sense. I have been told, repeatedly, that Fran took over such a poor roster, it was reasonable to expect 3 seasons to get things turned around. Gutless Gary won't even factor Fran's first 2 seasons into any contract metric he discusses. Now that Fran has assembled a Lickliter quality roster, he can turn it around in 1 OFF SEASON? How? How? H....how? Why couldn't he wave this same magic wand back in 2010?

I think he can because it's his kids and program at this point, and if all seasons prior where like this season, like Lick's where, I'd agree with your take. He sure seemed to turn it the opposite direction in 1 off season. I don't think there's a magic wand, but I think that there can be missing pieces.

I think he can because it's his kids and program at this point, and if all seasons prior where like this season, like Lick's where, I'd agree with your take. He sure seemed to turn it the opposite direction in 1 off season. I don't think there's a magic wand, but I think that there can be missing pieces.
I can see 5 or 6 more wins next season.

By that logic, the defense shouldn't be much much worse than it was last year, since really only Jok is gone off that team and he wasn't exactly known for his defense. It wasn't great last year but was passable enough to help Iowa get on the bubble.

I don't even know if it's possible for our defense to be worse next year. We should be a couple games better next year because of Joe but the Big Ten will probable be better next year too so the W/L might not show it.

I don't think Barta leaves or is fired as long as Ferentz is coaching. I think he is tied more to the football teams' success than that of the basketball team

That's because, like nearly all other FBS universities, football is the main moneymaking sport. Men's basketball is usually second. After that, if there are any that break even it's a bonus; at most FBS universities, all other sports lose money.

So what you're saying is that if Fran doesn't go after a grad transfer he doesn't want to win? Wow.
Yeah that's a bad take but what I would say (I know that wasn't my comment and your response isn't addressed at me) is that I do believe some people will put their own stubborn desires over the "right thing" to do. I think Fran could possibly be in that boat right now. He doesn't like transfers. I think he needs some transfers. Next year winning 4-5 more games isn't good enough for me. That's just back to middle of the pack. Getting to 16 - 18 wins and the NIT isn't good enough after this year's debacle.

So what you're saying is that if Fran doesn't go after a grad transfer he doesn't want to win? Wow.

If he doesn't go after a graduate transfer he cares more about ego than he does on fixing this team. This team has some serious holes that need to be fixed that aren't going to be fixed by the recruits coming in or Connor. If you want to say that's him not wanting to win so be it.

Latest posts