Stuck with Fran, but ...

Wasn't Lickliter's buyout $5 million or so? So, Fran's buyout next year would be $9 million. $5 million back then is like $6 million now (inflation/time value of money) so it'd only be $3 million more, in a sense, to buyout Fran than it was to buyout Lick and that was palatable.

I might be wrong on Lick's buyout, I can't remember but you get my point. I don't want to fire Fran this year and hope it works out but I'm trying to look at it at every angle.
Here's my take on buyouts. Coaches sign them for two reasons in their favor. One it's more money duh. For two it's leverage that makes schools have to think longer and harder about firing them for any reason that might come up. The schools do it because well I dunno why. Their idiots. My guess is because their competitors are all doing it too. That's it. Keeping up with the Jones's. My take on it is that if your the school and your ponying up for that then they shouldn't let that be any kind of a reason as to fire or not fire a coach. Don't agree to something you can't afford to do pretty simple... However they tend to make these things more complicated then that..

Wasn't Lickliter's buyout $5 million or so? So, Fran's buyout next year would be $9 million. $5 million back then is like $6 million now (inflation/time value of money) so it'd only be $3 million more, in a sense, to buyout Fran than it was to buyout Lick and that was palatable.

I might be wrong on Lick's buyout, I can't remember but you get my point. I don't want to fire Fran this year and hope it works out but I'm trying to look at it at every angle.

TL was paid $2.4 for his buyout when he was let go March of 2010.

Can someone please tell me how the heck we are supposed to magically get more athletic when 75% of the scholarship roster will be:

Bohannon
Weiskamp
Nunge
Garza
Baer
Frederickson
Connor Mac
Patrick Mac
Kriener

Are we trying to become the reincarnation of Adolph Rupp's Kentucky team from 1965?

He's adding 3 G's to next years team, one who's considered one of the best players to commit to Iowa in the last 30 years and who knows what the roster looks like next season with transfers in or out. You can't definitely say NOTHING is going to change next year or that they won't the tournament, cause you don't know that and either do I.
What do you expect to happen next year? We will return 3 starters in Bohannon (JR), Moss (JR) and Baer (SR) at the 1,2 and 3. They are all poor defenders. CM and CJ are not known for their on ball defense. JW can guard the 3 in the BIG but will probably struggle to guard the 2. Of these 3, I have not seen CJ play in person but I did watch his game against Lex Cath, from December. He's cut from the same defensive cloth as the rest of the guards on this roster. I'm just curious how you think bringing in another group of guards that can't defend, to split time with the guards we already have, that can't defend, is going to = NCAA tournament? We don't start any FR in our current back court. So, they were all here last year and did not make any improvement.
Do you care to give a reasoned response to how we are going to make this mammoth leap next year?

CJ was probably a waste of a scholarship and I don't think Connor or Joe are going to help this team defensively much if at all. Fran needs to open up at least one scholarship to get a graduate transfer to help next year's team and make some changes on his staff. The bad thing we all know neither of those will happen.
That won't happen! Fran will not recruit over his own son!!!! Not even for 1 year (grad transfer). And because Gutless Gary is his boss, he doesn't have to!

Can someone please tell me how the heck we are supposed to magically get more athletic when 75% of the scholarship roster will be:

Bohannon
Weiskamp
Nunge
Garza
Baer
Frederickson
Connor Mac
Patrick Mac
Kriener

Are we trying to become the reincarnation of Adolph Rupp's Kentucky team from 1965?

Butler 2010! Just need Wieskamp to be the next Gordon Hayward, Nunge to be the next Matt Howard, and Moss to be the next Shelvin Mack. Its almost TOO easy. Back to back national title games here we come!

What do you expect to happen next year? We will return 3 starters in Bohannon (JR), Moss (JR) and Baer (SR) at the 1,2 and 3. They are all poor defenders. CM and CJ are not known for their on ball defense. JW can guard the 3 in the BIG but will probably struggle to guard the 2. Of these 3, I have not seen CJ play in person but I did watch his game against Lex Cath, from December. He's cut from the same defensive cloth as the rest of the guards on this roster. I'm just curious how you think bringing in another group of guards that can't defend, to split time with the guards we already have, that can't defend, is going to = NCAA tournament? We don't start any FR in our current back court. So, they were all here last year and did not make any improvement.
Do you care to give a reasoned response to how we are going to make this mammoth leap next year?

All I said was you don't know and either do I. Seriously, all I said....and there's no real argument you can make for that fact that neither of us can predict the future. I didn't say there would be a mammoth leap. I said, none of us know the impact they will make. Cause we don't. You saying that Iowa will continue to miss the NCAA is just as likely to happen as me saying Iowa will make the NCAA next season. Fran will get another season to fix the issues. Considering Iowa has not had a year like this year since Fran's first, I tend to side with his history of performing well. You don't, and that's fine. I respect your opinion, mine is different. I think Fran will make some moves in the off season. I think Brady Ellingson is done at Iowa. I think a couple others move on to. Only time will tell and we will watch it unfold. I'm pulling for Fran to get it figured out.

If Iowa misses the dance next season, I do believe that Fran will be fired. That's just my feeling though. The pressure for change will be too great.
If this happens, it'll be shortly after Gary is fired. Fans might be more upset that Gary gets to hire another BB coach than keeping Fran around.

All I said was you don't know and either do I. Seriously, all I said....and there's no real argument you can make for that fact that neither of us can predict the future. I didn't say there would be a mammoth leap. I said, none of us know the impact they will make. Cause we don't. You saying that Iowa will continue to miss the NCAA is just as likely to happen as me saying Iowa will make the NCAA next season. Fran will get another season to fix the issues. Considering Iowa has not had a year like this year since Fran's first, I tend to side with his history of performing well. You don't, and that's fine. I respect your opinion, mine is different. I think Fran will make some moves in the off season. I think Brady Ellingson is done at Iowa. I think a couple others move on to. Only time will tell and we will watch it unfold. I'm pulling for Fran to get it figured out.
Fair enough.

I don't think Barta leaves or is fired as long as Ferentz is coaching. I think he is tied more to the football teams' success than that of the basketball team

I still dont think Fran gets fired after next season...no matter the results. His buyout is still too large, and you'd be firing a coach a year after you extended him. You simply can't give a person a drastically larger buyout and then buy them out the following year. You just can't. Keep in mind, Bruce Harreld signed off on Fran's extension as well....and he's Barta's boss. Allow that to sink. It doesn't stop at Barta it goes all the way to the top

Fran is here for awhile, his ridiculous contract virtually guarantees that.

Ok, these are all fair points, but again, since Fran's first season at Iowa, it hasn't been THIS bad. So, to say things like "We know Fran won't do this or do that" seems a little naive to me. How do we know? He hasn't been in this position while being the HC at Iowa before. So, how do we know he won't bring in a grad transfer? He's said he doesn't like the rule, but he also understands the landscape of the sport. Do you think that he is happy with the results of this season? Do you think he blindly just thinks everything is going to get better next season? Do you think he knows anything about basketball or the conference? Or he's just a doof who's gonna just sit back and collect a check? I happen to think he's a competitive guy who wants to win. I feel like, maybe while no publicly, he's pushed plenty of players out of his program at Iowa. Dale Jones could still be here. I think he will do what he did with Dale to Brady. I think a player like Geno Crandall at ND is someone on his radar. I believe he doesn't give a F about his son's playing time if that is at the determent of the program being better at basketball next season. I think other players will be, again not publicly, forced out. I really feel this roster looks a lot different by next fall. I think he could get rid of an assistant. I don't think Fran is happy or satisfied. I think he knows that things are bad and wrong. I expect him to change and be better next season. That's my opinion.

Ok, these are all fair points, but again, since Fran's first season at Iowa, it hasn't been THIS bad. So, to say things like "We know Fran won't do this or do that" seems a little naive to me. How do we know? He hasn't been in this position while being the HC at Iowa before. So, how do we know he won't bring in a grad transfer? He's said he doesn't like the rule, but he also understands the landscape of the sport. Do you think that he is happy with the results of this season? Do you think he blindly just thinks everything is going to get better next season? Do you think he knows anything about basketball or the conference? Or he's just a doof who's gonna just sit back and collect a check? I happen to think he's a competitive guy who wants to win. I feel like, maybe while no publicly, he's pushed plenty of players out of his program at Iowa. Dale Jones could still be here. I think he will do what he did with Dale to Brady. I think a player like Geno Crandall at ND is someone on his radar. I believe he doesn't give a F about his son's playing time if that is at the determent of the program being better at basketball next season. I think other players will be, again not publicly, forced out. I really feel this roster looks a lot different by next fall. I think he could get rid of an assistant. I don't think Fran is happy or satisfied. I think he knows that things are bad and wrong. I expect him to change and be better next season. That's my opinion.

I agree with a lot of what you're saying, but if the problem is defense, and you are returning 90% of your minutes next year, you're still going to suck at defense.

Do you think Fran thought we would be this bad this year? I think he honestly believes the hyperbole he spews out. How many times did he say Luka would be a rim protector to help our defense this preseason?

CJ was probably a waste of a scholarship and I don't think Connor or Joe are going to help this team defensively much if at all. Fran needs to open up at least one scholarship to get a graduate transfer to help next year's team and make some changes on his staff. The bad thing we all know neither of those will happen.

Unfortunately, this is what happens when you have a bad season. You start to look at everything through a prism of negativity.

CJ might not work out but he might. Let's give him a chance for declaring he's going to be a bust.

Do you think Fran thought we would be this bad this year? I think he honestly believes the hyperbole he spews out. How many times did he say Luka would be a rim protector to help our defense this preseason?
No, I don't think he thought we would be bad this year. But he's not a dummy. I don't think Fran is not hip to fact that we are playing bad. What can he do about it in season but continue to try and coach and push buttons. Do you think Fran is a competitor? Do you think that he has amassed 400 wins in college basketball without being one? After a season like this, competitive people take a look at things from every aspect. He knows what's wrong, probably more then anyone on this board. I expect him to fix it cause that's his job.

Latest posts