Stuck with Fran, but ...

What if Cook leaves? What if Nunge leaves? What if Fran brings in a grad transfer? What if Pemsl leaves? What if Kreiner leaves? What if Moss leaves? What if they all do? What if Joe W and Connor start day 1? It’s hard to predict the minutes or percentage of minutes return when we have no idea what the fall out of such a bad season will produce. I expect a lot of changes and since we haven’t experienced this type of year under Fran since his first, u have no idea what to expect from him in regards to how he’s gonna attack digging us out.

What if Cook leaves? What if Nunge leaves? What if Fran brings in a grad transfer? What if Pemsl leaves? What if Kreiner leaves? What if Moss leaves? What if they all do? What if Joe W and Connor start day 1? It’s hard to predict the minutes or percentage of minutes return when we have no idea what the fall out of such a bad season will produce. I expect a lot of changes and since we haven’t experienced this type of year under Fran since his first, u have no idea what to expect from him in regards to how he’s gonna attack digging us out.

If Cook leaves this off season we might as well just start looking for a new coach instead of wasting a season. I expect Joe to start from day 1 and if any of those other players leave it's not a big loss. I still think Fran is too stubborn to go after a graduate transfer this off season too.

If Cook leaves this off season we might as well just start looking for a new coach instead of wasting a season. I expect Joe to start from day 1 and if any of those other players leave it's not a big loss. I still think Fran is too stubborn to go after a graduate transfer this off season too.

I think Fran wants to win, period. I think he wants to win more then any one else who has any sort of interest in the program. Cook’s D is just as big of issue as Jordan’s D, either one of them can go for all I care. It just doesn’t matter, what matters is that it doesn’t continue to slide. So whatever that takes. I don’t think any player is off the table when you have a season like this.

That's also not a "I want Cook to leave" take... it's a "I believe anything can happen after this type of year" take.

Cook isn't going anywhere. However, I fully expect him to do the Peter Jok thing where he gets feedback from NBA scouts this offseason though.

I think Fran wants to win, period. I think he wants to win more then any one else who has any sort of interest in the program. Cook’s D is just as big of issue as Jordan’s D, either one of them can go for all I care. It just doesn’t matter, what matters is that it doesn’t continue to slide. So whatever that takes. I don’t think any player is off the table when you have a season like this.

Will you say he doesn't want to win if he doesn't go after a graduate transfer?

Will you say he doesn't want to win if he doesn't go after a graduate transfer?

No. I don’t think I’ll say that in any scenario. Of course he wants to win, he has a fairly big ego. It’s being bruised currently and I don’t think he’s gonna stand for it. I’ve worked in competitive industries on several levels all of my life. I’ve had my ass handed to me plenty of times, it’s not easy or fun. You learn from it and change and move on or you continue to get your ass kicked. The ones who don’t adapt are gone quickly. Fran has thrived to get where he is today. You don’t win 400 games in college basketball without knowing something about how it all works. This season has shaken my confidence in him, but it didn’t make him a bum to me over night. I expect him to change Iowa’s fortune, if he doesn’t he’ll be gone.

No. I don’t think I’ll say that in any scenario. Of course he wants to win, he has a fairly big ego. It’s being bruised currently and I don’t think he’s gonna stand for it. I’ve worked in competitive industries on several levels all of my life. I’ve had my ass handed to me plenty of times, it’s not easy or fun. You learn from it and change and move on or you continue to get your ass kicked. The ones who don’t adapt are gone quickly. Fran has thrived to get where he is today. You don’t win 400 games in college basketball without knowing something about how it all works. This season has shaken my confidence in him, but it didn’t make him a bum to me over night. I expect him to change Iowa’s fortune, if he doesn’t he’ll be gone.

If he doesn't even go after a graduate transfer will you at least admit I was right and he's too stubborn to coach at this level?

Human nature dictates that most people lose real competitive fire when incentive is removed. For example, there’s a reason you don’t pay salespeople a huge base salary instead of a nice commission package. Huge buyouts work the same way. Why do you think professional players have their best years in their contract years? It ain’t just coincidence...

If he doesn't even go after a graduate transfer will you at least admit I was right and he's too stubborn to coach at this level?
He won't go after a grad transfer because he plans on playing Connor and JW starter minutes. This is the starting line up next year.
1- Connor
2- Bohannon
3- Weiskamp
4- Cook
5-Garza
The only way that's not the starting line up by game 10, or at least the players that play the most minutes, is if one of them transfers/gets injured.

If Iowa misses the dance next season, I do believe that Fran will be fired. That's just my feeling though. The pressure for change will be too great.
I would have agreed with you before the extension was made public. Fran’s going nowhere.

You guys act like contracts aren't written and signed to be broken. 9 million to Iowa is chump change if the program is toxic the stadium is empty and there is no hope in sight. If Iowa has another season like this next year, I believe Iowa will gladly pay 9 million to move on.

I admire your optimism, but to me it just seems like blind optimism.

Players leaving? Maybe. Not sure that gets us anywhere, unless we could bring in a grad transfer that could immediately help us. That seems very unlikely.

Fran changing? It’s intersting you say we have no idea what to expect from Fran. Actually I think we very much know what we will see from Fran. He’s coached basically the same way for 8 years. Long rotations, rotating defenses, not using timeouts, offensive minded. Even with all the beatdowns we have taken this year he really hasn’t changed anything. It would be nice to think he changes but I don’t see that being realistic.

He won't go after a grad transfer because he plans on playing Connor and JW starter minutes. This is the starting line up next year.
1- Connor
2- Bohannon
3- Weiskamp
4- Cook
5-Garza
The only way that's not the starting line up by game 10, or at least the players that play the most minutes, is if one of them transfers/gets injured.
Well at least we know we will suck next year then and Fran will be fired....

Oh wait, GB is our AD, Fran’s not going anywhere. I guess we will just have to settle for sucking then. Thanks GB!

I admire your optimism, but to me it just seems like blind optimism.

Players leaving? Maybe. Not sure that gets us anywhere, unless we could bring in a grad transfer that could immediately help us. That seems very unlikely.

Fran changing? It’s intersting you say we have no idea what to expect from Fran. Actually I think we very much know what we will see from Fran. He’s coached basically the same way for 8 years. Long rotations, rotating defenses, not using timeouts, offensive minded. Even with all the beatdowns we have taken this year he really hasn’t changed anything. It would be nice to think he changes but I don’t see that being realistic.

His program since at Iowa has pretty much taken a step forward every season sans last year and that team still showed a ton of hope and promise. Why would you change anything? I'm interested to see how he does with more humility after failure. I will be disappointed in Fran if Iowa isn't remarkably better next season. That's not blind optimism, it's expectation.

His program since at Iowa has pretty much taken a step forward every season sans last year and that team still showed a ton of hope and promise. Why would you change anything? I'm interested to see how he does with more humility after failure. I will be disappointed in Fran if Iowa isn't remarkably better next season. That's not blind optimism, it's expectation.

If you expect us to be remarkably better next season you might want to seek treatment.

If you expect us to be remarkably better next season you might want to seek treatment.

I absolutely do - without question and if they aren't I expect Fran to be gone. It's not a hard concept. He gets this off season to fix the problem. I don't need to seek treatment, fortunes in college basketball change quickly. It happens every single season to hundreds of teams.

I absolutely do - without question and if they aren't I expect Fran to be gone. It's not a hard concept. He gets this off season to fix the problem. I don't need to seek treatment, fortunes in college basketball change quickly. It happens every single season to hundreds of teams.

Yeah those fortunes change when you have a good coach, bring in recruits to fix the problem, etc. We return pretty much everyone, the same coach and don't add anyone to fix our defensive woes. It's not like this team is going to get that much better defensively by who we add next year.

Okay. How about this logic? Every year he made a small incremental step forward. Next year a small incremental step forward would put us as a borderline NIT squad. Or put another way, Fran has never led us to the NCAA without at least going to the NIT championship game the prior year.

Again I just think it’s blind optimism, which is admirable and I certainly hope you’re right, but there is really no reasonable ground for you to stand on with that take unfortunately. Call me a pessimist, I consider myself a realist, I guess we won’t know until we know for sure.

Latest posts