Strictly a hypothetical ... 5 unbeatens

That's when we see the movement to an 8 team playoff in the future.

Exactly!

BCS sucked. Big time.

Playoff with 4 teams is better, but still a bit broken.

Eight teams, seeded, higher seeded team getting a home game in the first round.

That would be perfect...and is already overdue.

No way that many stay undefeated, but Pitt is gonna help us out by winning the ACC. Knocks out Clemson and improves SOS.

Exactly!

BCS sucked. Big time.

Playoff with 4 teams is better, but still a bit broken.

Eight teams, seeded, higher seeded team getting a home game in the first round.

That would be perfect...and is already overdue.
An 8 team playoff would be fantastic, but home games really aren't the best solution. The NCAA is already trying to keep the major bowls alive by making them part of the playoff, so stop rotating them and take the idea further.

Use the Rose, Sugar, Orange, and Fiesta Bowls as the quarterfinal round . You could even mostly preserve the traditional conference tie-ins, if you can tolerate match ups that aren't a perfectly seeded bracket.

Imagine last year looking like this:

Sugar - 1 Alabama vs. 8 Michigan State
Rose - 4 Ohio State vs. 3 Oregon
Fiesta - 5 TCU vs. 6 Baylor
Orange - 2 Florida State vs. 7 Mississippi State

Take these winners, reseed them, and determine a champ Final Four style at one of the bowl sites.

I think something like this is where things will end up, eventually.

I get it is a very unlikely scenario ... but possible.

Iowa (13-0) Big 10
LSU (13-0) SEC
Baylor (12-0) Big 12
Clemson (13-0) ACC
Utah (13-0) Pac 12

What team wouldn't make the 4 team playoff?

People outside Iowa are used to Iowa being a 6 to 8 win team. That's just the way its always been (old far talking) Its always been that way. So when you present someone with an Iowa team with a wonderful record, they just don't believe it. "Me and Betty been coming down here to the lodge for 25 years on toosdey for spagetti. Spagetti nights always been on toosdey, thats just the way its always been.

Hard to overcome it.

And I don't think Iowa would get the votes of committee.

Last edited:
If we are doing made up ******** scenarios, why not 10 undefeateds?
What's stopping you from starting that thread? . . . The ***** code of ethics?

Last edited by a moderator:
13-0, Iowa is in cfb. Anything from there is gravy.

12-1, Iowa is likely in the Rose

11-2, Iowa plays in the B1G Championship, whatever else is gravy

10 wins, Iowa likely still gets to B1G Championship

9 wins would be dissappointing, yet miles better than anyone thought prior to the season.

It's just so awesome that any of these are achievable at this point. just awesome.

I don't see any scenario ever where a 13-0 big ten team doesn't make the playoff. Whether it's "right" or not the big ten has a lot of power and money in college football and an extremely large fan base. The backlash from the big ten would be too much for the playoff system to withstand.

Another interesting question is if you replace an undefeated LSU with 12-1 Alabama, does Alabama get in over 13-0 Iowa, particularly if the Iowa beats in the BTT game has a loss before the game?

Alabama does have national power Charleston Southern (Sagarin #154) yet to play, so I might be getting ahead of myself here.

What if Alabama beats LSU, then Loses to a 2 loss team in the SEC championship? Do they really have no choice but to exclude an SEC team from the playoffs? Or do they put in LSU who didn't even win their division?

A lot of variables. 1st off how would the SOS end up? Right now Iowa and Pitts OOC schedules are similar regarding record. Does Pitt beat ND? Do they make it to the ACC championship game? Does wisconsin and NW finish in the top 25?

The best thing that could happen for Iowa is for Pitt to keep winning and for ISU to get to 6 wins.

Talk about hypothetical!:)

I get it is a very unlikely scenario ... but possible.

Iowa (13-0) Big 10
LSU (13-0) SEC
Baylor (12-0) Big 12
Clemson (13-0) ACC
Utah (13-0) Pac 12

What team wouldn't make the 4 team playoff?

I see Clemson "Clemsoning" sometime soon.

Latest posts