Streaming live tv

My Grandpa had one I should ask him. As kids growning up we had bunny ears on our TV no cable or dish no nothing. Just ABC NBC CBS PBS and KMEG

Yep. We did have an antenna on the TV that we'd turn the knob to turn the antenna on the roof when changing to one of those local stations. I also remember not having a remote control and having to live thru commercials.

Lightening hit our antenna during a storm one night. That was exciting.

My friend had one at his house when they first came out, must have been the 70's or early 80's. At the time, none of the signals were scrambled and you could pick up anything that went through the air waves. And it was all free, you just had to have the dish. I think the dish itself was fairly expensive but once you paid for that there was no cost.

I remember they could get the Playboy Channel which we thought was a pretty cool thing at the time, LOL.

I can just here the question from his mom.............."Kyle, why are all your friends over at our house all the time now?" "I dunno ma, just the way it turns out."

YouTube TV has a nice feature which stores your recorded games for up to 9 months.
It also offers a 'watch key plays' feature of condensing the game into 30-35 plays of importance.

Just watched the Iowa-Kentucky bowl game.
35 key plays for game.
First half says it all - (17 key plays) - a mix of KY offensive plays and IA defensive plays on way to a 13-3 Kentucky advantage. Only two Iowa offensive plays shown - a field goal and a ten yard run with 30 seconds left in the half.

I actually still have a DirectTV dish on the side of my house on a pole that I really actually never think about that it is still there. This made me think about it. I need to take it down. It was what I had before YouTube TV and been there like a decade or so. I need to get the wrenches out. Kind of embarrassing if people think I'm still rockin's a dish. F me.

My neighborhood is covered in DirectTV dishes because they broke ground in 2008 and Charter and AT&T both buried lines but they didn't go hot until well after the neighborhood was built because they didn't want to connect to the main system until they were certain the neighborhood was actually going to be viable after the first developer went bankrupt. So damned near every house has a dish, but I don't know of anyone using them.

Also, if you go with YoutubeTV, they allow you to share your plan with up to 5 other people for the same base price and you can have up to 3 streams going at once. I do that with a buddy of mine, he just has an automatic Venmo payment set up every month to me for half the bill. So essentially we're both getting YTTV for $35 a month.
I gotta say this is the exact thing my buddy and I decided to do. Super easy to set up and we both can use it at the same time without any issues. Thanks for bringing it up Fry, much appreciated.

OK. This old guy will be good for a laugh, so here goes. I have been through rabbit ears, roof antenna’s, cable, more cable, and have now settled on Dish for many years. My internet and land line are $99.98 monthly through Spectrum. Their TV sucks, hence my move to Dish.
Dish is $112 per month. I don’t do premium channels. I go to the movie theatre, but I am a movie snob, so not often. Shit. I read all the super hero comic books at Rexall Drugs as a kid.
On Dish, I get a variety of local channels, sports channels, BTN of course, fishing channels, and a few scattered, among them Alaska wilderness stuff, Tuna chasing, Crab catching, and housing renovation. I am also a fan of cable news on a selective basis. And, unlimited DVR with commercials banned, with no limit on numbers, is heavily used.

I don’t mean to be flippant, but the $ is, well, pocket change. I have spilled more than that over a few years. And, I have spent more $ on dumb stuff that I can count. So, I won’t likely change my habits. One stop shopping is a favorite route for me.

BTW, the picture quality on Dish is kick ass.
Go Hawks!

I gotta say this is the exact thing my buddy and I decided to do. Super easy to set up and we both can use it at the same time without any issues. Thanks for bringing it up Fry, much appreciated.
I'm watching You Tube TV now, at work, on my second monitor while attending a boring zoom meeting. Sound is down and I can just watch sports replays. Kinda cool. Also good for being in airports with a phone. And of course the TVs at home!

OK. This old guy will be good for a laugh, so here goes. I have been through rabbit ears, roof antenna’s, cable, more cable, and have now settled on Dish for many years. My internet and land line are $99.98 monthly through Spectrum. Their TV sucks, hence my move to Dish.
Dish is $112 per month. I don’t do premium channels. I go to the movie theatre, but I am a movie snob, so not often. Shit. I read all the super hero comic books at Rexall Drugs as a kid.
On Dish, I get a variety of local channels, sports channels, BTN of course, fishing channels, and a few scattered, among them Alaska wilderness stuff, Tuna chasing, Crab catching, and housing renovation. I am also a fan of cable news on a selective basis. And, unlimited DVR with commercials banned, with no limit on numbers, is heavily used.

I don’t mean to be flippant, but the $ is, well, pocket change. I have spilled more than that over a few years. And, I have spent more $ on dumb stuff that I can count. So, I won’t likely change my habits. One stop shopping is a favorite route for me.

BTW, the picture quality on Dish is kick ass.
Go Hawks!

But.............................................

1661369573774.png

Oh, and that "occasional" rain fade at the worst time! Ugh! No thanks.

Actually, the equipment/cable mess and rain are the two reasons I don't miss a dish.

I think that's why most of us like the YouTube TV. It is pretty much one stop shopping. I don't purchase a bunch of additional streaming services. I seeked out YouTube because it covered all the coverage for Iowa sports and Cubs at the time. I also got my Discovery and my wife got her channels.

Last edited:
I was reluctant to change to streaming services, but the place I'm now staying is a rental (after selling my house in CO and moving to CA). It's not wired for cable in any way, and does not have a dish.

So, I bought two new smart (Fire) TVs on sale (which are great), and selected You Tube TV. I'm pretty happy with the semi-forced switch, and the fact that this can be on my mobile devices. Alexa is a dumb ass, however.

YouTube TV has a nice feature which stores your recorded games for up to 9 months.
It also offers a 'watch key plays' feature of condensing the game into 30-35 plays of importance.

Just watched the Iowa-Kentucky bowl game.
35 key plays for game.
First half says it all - (17 key plays) - a mix of KY offensive plays and IA defensive plays on way to a 13-3 Kentucky advantage. Only two Iowa offensive plays shown - a field goal and a ten yard run with 30 seconds left in the half.

Also, you can fast forward thru the commercials

I recorded the entire season of Yellowstone and fast forwarded thru each and every commercial

Dearly love Yellowstone

Gotta love Rip, and I am in love with Beth Dutton

On Youtube TV and Amazon Prime, they have free 7-day tryout specials on occasion

I get them to binge watch certain series, then cancel or just keep something for a month then cancel

Amazon Prime has monthly specials for $2-$4 a month for three months

I send an email to myself to cancel about a week before the promotion ends

And keep forwarding it to myself so it doesn't get buried

It's All Good

:cool:

Just saw an article yesterday saying that Google will be adding a split-screen feature to YouTubeTV in the near future. You'll be able to split your screen and watch 2 or 4 live streams at the same time, choosing which one you want audio to come through. No word on when that's actually going to happen, but that's going to be awesome for March Madness.

Edit: Found the article: https://9to5google.com/2022/08/22/youtube-tv-split-screen/

Last edited:
Just saw an article yesterday saying that Google will be adding a split-screen feature to YouTubeTV in the near future. You'll be able to split your screen and watch 2 or 4 live streams at the same time, choosing which one you want audio to come through. No word on when that's actually going to happen, but that's going to be awesome for March Madness.
Holy shit that would be awesome.

I'm watching You Tube TV now, at work, on my second monitor while attending a boring zoom meeting. Sound is down and I can just watch sports replays. Kinda cool. Also good for being in airports with a phone. And of course the TVs at home!
I was an idiot and scheduled an oil change Saturday morning in Sioux City. I'm going to have to watch the first part of the nebraska/NW game on my phone while I wait.

Edit: Found the article: https://9to5google.com/2022/08/22/youtube-tv-split-screen/

TV's used to have this or some still do but I never liked that feature. Takes away focus from watching one thing. I actually found it interrupting. When you focus on everything, no focus on nothing, IMO.

I was an idiot and scheduled an oil change Saturday morning in Sioux City. I'm going to have to watch the first part of the nebraska/NW game on my phone while I wait.

Just throw 1/2 qt in and postpone your appt..

I have 15 yr old boys for that now. They hate it but I guide them thru it. They prob will not do it at home when they are older but it is a life skill I think they should understand.