STORY: Iowa Basketball Squeezes Orange in ACC-B1G Challenge

What's this? Nate Reuvers hedging and recovering?

Where have we seen that before.

Meanwhile Brad Davison, playing in an arena he has never played in before and will never again, getting booed everytime he touches the ball.

Some players just have the look of someone you love to hate.
The backstory there is Davison drew 4 charges against NC St last year and it was a big story.

edit: I see you mentioned that in your next post.

Conner basically played on the perimeter simple playing the middle man between JBo and Joe W. At the half he had two points and one assist. Of his 5 rebounds 4 were uncontested. For the game I saw him with two solid assists and hit a 3 on a second chance shot, he also had two airballs. He did this in 36 minutes of playing time. Joe T matched him in pts and assists in 13 minutes and played point. Two problems with Joe T, one he is a not a shooter, two, he will be foul prone. If JBo shuts it down, I'm really worried about the PG position. Iowa struggled to get Garza the ball and it will get worse in conference. I want to be optimistic but every conference game is going to be a dogfight. This team will compete but I don't think that's gonna be enough.
I share the concern about Jbo shutting it down. If Fran goes back to a bigger lineup where Connor has to defend 1s and 2s we are in big trouble. That’s not Connor’s fault he’s just much better at defending 3s and 4s.

The offense will be a little clunky with Cmac and Joe T both starting, and not being much for outside threats, but I think the defense will be pretty solid. We are just going to have to trust Garza, Wieskamp, and Fredrick to carry the scoring on most nights, with contributions from Connor, Kriener, and Joe T.

At the end of the day, when Jbo shuts it down we are likely one horse short, which sucks because this team was starting to look like they could be something.

I share the concern about Jbo shutting it down. If Fran goes back to a bigger lineup where Connor has to defend 1s and 2s we are in big trouble. That’s not Connor’s fault he’s just much better at defending 3s and 4s.

The offense will be a little clunky with Cmac and Joe T both starting, and not being much for outside threats, but I think the defense will be pretty solid. We are just going to have to trust Garza, Wieskamp, and Fredrick to carry the scoring on most nights, with contributions from Connor, Kriener, and Joe T.

At the end of the day, when Jbo shuts it down we are likely one horse short, which sucks because this team was starting to look like they could be something.

Unless we start getting unexpected contributions from other places. If one of Pemsl, Evelyn, Till, or (I know it's not likely at all) Patrick can contribute 6+ pts a night on a consistent basis, I think we could be okay. If Joe T and/or Connor can hit the 3's when they're left open for them that would be a big plus too.

It was mentioned in the broadcast that the same two teams played in the Kohl Center last year for the challenge and he drew four charging fouls.

In other action Ohio State looking good. And Texas Tech lets DePaul off the hook, missing a late regulation free throw that could have put them up four, giving up the three to send it to overtime, then imploding in overtime. Outshot, out executed and outhustled in overtime. Tech needs a poised point guard or they're going to keep losing games like this and they have Louisville at MSG on Saturday.

DePaul has a nice mix of castoffs and transfers that have meshed well early. They are an early season surprise. Their decisive win over Iowa was no fluke. This win should get them ranked.

DePaul is fun to watch. They really put together a team of athletes. Last night was sort of a fluke win but they put it all together when they needed it the most

Ohio State and Purdue will have the conference's most impressive wins, but Iowa's is certainly in the next tier.

I've watched Sparty play twice this year...Kentucky and Duke. I haven't been impressed with them at all. How you get blown out of the Breslin Center as a 6.5 favorite is nuts to me.

Conner basically played on the perimeter simple playing the middle man between JBo and Joe W. At the half he had two points and one assist. Of his 5 rebounds 4 were uncontested. For the game I saw him with two solid assists and hit a 3 on a second chance shot, he also had two airballs. He did this in 36 minutes of playing time. Joe T matched him in pts and assists in 13 minutes and played point. Two problems with Joe T, one he is a not a shooter, two, he will be foul prone. If JBo shuts it down, I'm really worried about the PG position. Iowa struggled to get Garza the ball and it will get worse in conference. I want to be optimistic but every conference game is going to be a dogfight. This team will compete but I don't think that's gonna be enough.

I love a lot of things about Joe Toussaint, but 3 point shooting is not one of them. He needs to just stop doing it. He also has the highest rate of turnovers per minute. I can live with that as long as he's hustling and improving, but the dude is shooting 16% from 3. For reference, we tore Connor a new butthole for shooting 20% from 3 last year.

I love a lot of things about Joe Toussaint, but 3 point shooting is not one of them. He needs to just stop doing it. He also has the highest rate of turnovers per minute. I can live with that as long as he's hustling and improving, but the dude is shooting 16% from 3. For reference, we tore Connor a new butthole for shooting 20% from 3 last year.
Turnovers per minute is a stupid stat. It doesn’t take into account usage. Toussaint has the second highest usage % on the team right now. His turnover percentage of 14.1% is fine considering his usage, Connor had a 23.1% turnover % last year for instance.

Turnovers per minute is a stupid stat. It doesn’t take into account usage. Toussaint has the second highest usage % on the team right now. His turnover percentage of 14.1% is fine considering his usage, Connor had a 23.1% turnover % last year for instance.

I can handle certain turnovers...they're inevitable. A lot of Toussain's turnovers are just braindead or trying to do too much. Its a learning curve he has to go through so I'm not trying to crucify the kid...I actually love him and he belongs on the court.

Guess my point was the things we ripped apart Connor for last year (3 point shooting %, turnovers) so far Toussaint has been given a pass for. Obviously JT brings a lot of other things to the court that Connor can't (quickness, steals, etc)

I can handle certain turnovers...they're inevitable. A lot of Toussain's turnovers are just braindead or trying to do too much. Its a learning curve he has to go through so I'm not trying to crucify the kid...I actually love him and he belongs on the court.

Guess my point was the things we ripped apart Connor for last year (3 point shooting %, turnovers) so far Toussaint has been given a pass for. Obviously JT brings a lot of other things to the court that Connor can't (quickness, steals, etc)
My point is that everyone keeps saying Joe T is turning the ball over a ton, but he really isn’t. Like I said his turnover % is way less than Cmac’s was last year. Against Cuse Toussaint had one turnover, it was a travel. He has 11 turnovers so far and I’d guess 5 are travels or charges. Those aren’t the bad live ball turnovers. I also believe he’s shown some pretty good vision which is an ability that can’t really be taught, so that’s promising.

The shooting thing is definitely becoming a big concern. I don’t want him to lose his confidence though. He’s shooting free throws at 79%, that’s not bad. I think a big thing is shot selection, on this team we don’t need him launching deep pull up two point shots. I’d rather have Wieskamp, CJF, or Jbo shoot a contested 3.

The shooting thing is definitely becoming a big concern. I don’t want him to lose his confidence though. He’s shooting free throws at 79%, that’s not bad. I think a big thing is shot selection, on this team we don’t need him launching deep pull up two point shots. I’d rather have Wieskamp, CJF, or Jbo shoot a contested 3.

Exactly. Much much much rather have him driving the lane and finding the open man or drawing the foul than sitting back launching 3s. It looks to me like teams are daring him to shoot 3s and so he's doing it. 3 point shooting isn't a problem on this team whatsoever...he has a set of skills no other Iowa player has and he needs to use it.

Side note...I'm not sure what this team looks like next year with JT and Uhlis...combined with Connor, CJ, the new shooting guard kid.... and then maybe also Bohannon? Could guard play actually be a plus for once in Fran's career?

Unless we start getting unexpected contributions from other places. If one of Pemsl, Evelyn, Till, or (I know it's not likely at all) Patrick can contribute 6+ pts a night on a consistent basis, I think we could be okay. If Joe T and/or Connor can hit the 3's when they're left open for them that would be a big plus too.
I’m hoping there is a better version of Evelyn yet to be seen. He’s been a little better the last two games. If Jbo shuts it down he will have more opportunities.

I’m hoping there is a better version of Evelyn yet to be seen. He’s been a little better the last two games. If Jbo shuts it down he will have more opportunities.

This makes me sincerely hope that Fran brings in another lights out shooter like Bohannon or Fredrick in the next class. Because the Murray's are as close as we're going to come to that in this class and neither have ever been over 40%. Maybe Perkins or Ulis could develop it like Moss and Baer did, but that will take a year or two of seasoning. And I'd bet dollars to donuts we'll lose Wieskamp after next year.

That would take away Garza, Wieskamp, and Bohannon leaving Fredrick as our only proven 3 point threat. Ouch.

This makes me sincerely hope that Fran brings in another lights out shooter like Bohannon or Fredrick in the next class. Because the Murray's are as close as we're going to come to that in this class and neither have ever been over 40%. Maybe Perkins or Ulis could develop it like Moss and Baer did, but that will take a year or two of seasoning. And I'd bet dollars to donuts we'll lose Wieskamp after next year.

That would take away Garza, Wieskamp, and Bohannon leaving Fredrick as our only proven 3 point threat. Ouch.
Isn’t it funny how the pendulum swings? Everyone wanted more athleticism because we were slow and unathletic. But we have some 3pt marksmen. If you look at our team a few years out we should be pretty athletic with Toussaint, Ulis, Perkins, Pmac, and the Murray’s, but we might lack some outside shooting.

Nice to have CJF for the next few years. Pmac I think will be decent as will the Murray’s. Nunge might as well.

Peyton Sandfort from Waukee is a top target for 2021. I believe he’s the shooter you seek and Iowa has a good chance with him being in state. Already offers from Iowa, Utah, and Minnesota.
https://247sports.com/player/payton-sandfort-46085888/

Shooting % for JoeT is not even a secondary concern this year.

We all wanted a break down PG — he’s that.

We all wanted a ball defender PG — he’s that.

We got all what we wanted and then we get the plus of getting a hard-nosed, tough, take-no-crap NYC kid.

I love him already for those 3 things. Shooting is gravy this season.

Latest posts