STORY: Iowa Basketball Squeezes Orange in ACC-B1G Challenge

Yea next year could be really good. I could also see a scenario where we win our next 3 games, look really good doing it, and Bohannon decides we might be in the midst of a special season he doesn't want to miss.
The flip side of my previous post...We could be surprisingly good this year if JB gets healthier as the year progresses. We shouldn’t have to worry about back to back game days until the BTT. And I’m very high on a JT and CJ backcourt moving forward the next 3 years.

Where did you read that and what was the context? Did he not practice at all before the Vegas tourney? I doubt that he came out and put up 20 points first game. If he didn’t practice since then I’m not concerned as much because Iowa probably only had one practice. They probably will only have one this week too.

I think it was a Hawk Central article but not 100%. Bohannon in an interview said he doesn't practice anymore. He's better off just playing in the games. I'm not sure when he stopped practicing but the way it was worded made it sound like it's been going on longer than just a few days.

Where did you read that and what was the context? Did he not practice at all before the Vegas tourney? I doubt that he came out and put up 20 points first game. If he didn’t practice since then I’m not concerned as much because Iowa probably only had one practice. They probably will only have one this week too.

Chad Leistikow published it in an article today on Des Moines Register website along with Bohannon stating he was pretty sore after last night's game. Hard to believe he could continue on for the remainder of the season if things don't improve.

He was leaning towards shutting it down after 10 games once the soreness persisted following the first few games. I think Iowa’s solid start has him thinking about it, but I would be way more surprised if he keeps playing than if he shuts it down. And it’s not just soreness in the repaired hip. He has soreness in the other hip, too.

After reading that I’m pretty confident he’s shutting it down, which sucks, but I understand it with the pain. Hopefully he can bring us home a couple big victories in his last 3 games.

I really hope Fran sticks with the small ball lineup and goes with Joe T. Our offense can get a little clunky with Joe T and CMac out there shooting wise at the same time but I just don’t feel great about the defense with the Garza-Kriener pair and asking Cmac to defend quicker guys.

He was leaning towards shutting it down after 10 games once the soreness persisted following the first few games. I think Iowa’s solid start has him thinking about it, but I would be way more surprised if he keeps playing than if he shuts it down. And it’s not just soreness in the repaired hip. He has soreness in the other hip, too.

Do you know if his other hip is sore from over compensating on his one hip, or is it injured too?

Great win, Iowa has now defeated 2 NCAA tournament teams be double digits. They are building a very strong tournament resume.

I'm not sure that Syracuse squad looked anything close to an NCAA tournament team, at least not last night.. But any true road win against a power conference opponent, and doing it by double digits, is a solid win no matter how you slice it.

So I have some hope again that this year could be pretty decent.

Last edited:
I'm not sure that Syracuse squad looked anything close to an NCAA tournament team, at least not last night.. But any true road win against a power conference opponent, and doing it by double digits, is a solid win no matter how you slice it.

So I have some hope again that this year could be pretty decent.

Probably doesn't really matter - road wins are Q1 wins if they are against top 75 teams. This is going to be a good win regardless.

Garza has been amazing, but it’s going to get tougher with the quality bigs the B1G has this year. He will still be a stud, I only mean to say that keeping up this level of production is unlikely. But I still think we will see improved play from Wieskamp, who was pretty solid last night despite not having his best shooting performance.
He is currently averaging exactly 20 and 10 while shooting 56.8% from the floor. He also takes a physical beating every night. I made the comment in the opening night game thread that it looked like he broke his nose thirty seconds in.

Maybe all he needed was Cook to move on. If he can stay on the floor during B1G competition and not accrue foul trouble i don't see his numbers dropping too much in conference play. If anything, they could improve slightly. He is currently shooting an uncharacteristic 61% from the free throw line.

He is currently averaging exactly 20 and 10 while shooting 56.8% from the floor. He also takes a physical beating every night. I made the comment in the opening night game thread that it looked like he broke his nose thirty seconds in.

Maybe all he needed was Cook to move on. If he can stay on the floor during B1G competition and not accrue foul trouble i don't see his numbers dropping too much in conference play. If anything, they could improve slightly. He is currently shooting an uncharacteristic 61% from the free throw line.
If his numbers improve from 20/10 he’s going to be a 1st Team All American. I am confused about the free throws, I think he will get that straitened out, but he’s also shooting 50% from 3pt land, which isn’t sustainable.

There is just higher quality big men he’s going to play in the B1G than we’ve seen thus far. If he can do something like 17/8 in B1G play that would be an amazing year.

If his numbers improve from 20/10 he’s going to be a 1st Team All American. I am confused about the free throws, I think he will get that straitened out, but he’s also shooting 50% from 3pt land, which isn’t sustainable.

There is just higher quality big men he’s going to play in the B1G than we’ve seen thus far. If he can do something like 17/8 in B1G play that would be an amazing year.
I would certainly take 17 and 8. Those numbers would be more than solid.

I saw Connor has a 5.4-1 a/to ratio. Second place in the conference is 3-1. He's at about 5 assists per game and just under 1 turnover per game.
For all of his limitations, and the fact that he can be confrontational on the floor, that stat cannot be underestimated. It could also ease the blow if JBo, who hasn't played a ton of point guard anyway, ends up redshirting.

After the ISU game, Jbo is shutting it down. His legacy(whatever that may be) is already set. I think he wants to be completely healthy and be able to make a deep run in the NCAA tourney. It would be easier to do that in 20-21 than it would be 19-20.

Luka gets Teske on the road Friday. Looking forward to that.
We need Ryan K to repeat how he played against Michigan last year. I don't think Luka can be expected to go 34 or 37 minutes or whatever it was last night. Not against Michigan.

Latest posts