STORY: Hawkeyes Pull Wide Receiver Keagan Johnson Out of Nebraska

This guy seems to be taking it especially hard. :D

"Whatever, let these giant egos go where they feel comfy. What aggravates me more than a kid heading elsewhere is the ridiculous notion this is a Frost thing. We've crapped the bed for over 15 years, blowing relationships with local talent having them leave and become productive elsewhere, and choosing programs that were perceived to be in a better place since Frank got the boot. And please, don't play the narrative that this is a conference opponent, if the kid ran off to be a Buff, Clone, Wildcat or Tiger would it have stung any less? And who really thinks Minnesota ends up with the first one?

All of the stumbles for 15 years is enough to make it reasonable someone heads elsewhere, and the only school he could have chosen that would have been closer than Iowa is ISU or KSU, so proximity to family plays in as well, so I'd be more concerned if he chose Maryland. Truthfully, in my eyes, these kids become disrespectful little punks the second they speak negatively about our program, and it will not go well for them as they return to Nebraska for various reasons. If you don't believe that, just ask Jostes how his returns went after his career at Mizzou. Larry Station didn't hear as much because he was classier about things. The Johnson's obviously weren't thrilled with how they have been dealt with since Clester graduated. Oh well, Scott wasn't in a position to fix 2 decades of angry in 2 years. And seriously, a kid going to ND last year shouldn't have been a giant shocker since the kid admitted that was kind of a dream opportunity for him. This year we have a kid verbal MN who admits he wasn't ever really a Nebraska fan. Now we have a jilted family decide on some place else, but of course many are saying it's all about losing, Frost lost his recruiting Mojo, etc. Funny, that Mojo was just fine last recruiting cycle which if I'm not mistaken, came on the heels of that second losing season.

This has more to do with the attitudes of these particular recruits, especially when you read in their veiled shots at the program, and less to do with the efforts of the staff to bring in the right kids. See you later kid, and don't be surprised if someone blows you up on a play, and none of us are particularly concerned as you lay on the ground with the snot bubble emanating from your facemask."
I saw a Neb fan say that they thoroughly dominated Iowa last year aside from three lucky plays, as if Iowa making big plays doesn’t count. They are insane

Nebby: We didn't really want him anyway. There are a lot of higher ranked guys out there. Blah, blah, blah. It's the same schtick they blow every time they lose a recruit.
They are not spinning too much on the radio in Omaha. Frost very much wanted this kid and they put on the full effort to get him. Legacy kid. It hurts.

The reality is that there has not been a winning culture at Nebraska during this young man's formative years. Eventually, sell out streaks and dusty trophies give way to 10 win seasons and NFL placements just a couple hours drive the other way. Sane Husker fans get it, but there are a lot of delusional bugeaters.

From a story I wrote about him in January...

“I love Iowa and their coaches. They do a great job developing their tight ends. The only thing that scares me a little is they have a pretty full tight end room."

LINK

I try not to parse the words of a 17-18 year old. But frankly, I'm not sure I want a kid on the Hawks that is "scared" of a full room. I want kids who embrace competition and are so confident in their abilities that they KNOW they can come in and play....even if it doesn't end up happening that first year. If he wants to go to a spread offense that doesn't utilize the TE worth a damn, then so be it. We've got LaPorta, Yelverton, Byers, and Lachey. I'd say we're pretty set whether he comes here or not.

I think Nebbie's strategy to land Fidone is pretty clear. "You wanna wait your turn in a crowded group of TEs...or do you want to play from day 1?"

I try not to parse the words of a 17-18 year old. But frankly, I'm not sure I want a kid on the Hawks that is "scared" of a full room. I want kids who embrace competition and are so confident in their abilities that they KNOW they can come in and play....even if it doesn't end up happening that first year. If he wants to go to a spread offense that doesn't utilize the TE worth a damn, then so be it. We've got LaPorta, Yelverton, Byers, and Lachey. I'd say we're pretty set whether he comes here or not.

I think it's fair for a 17/18 year old kid to assess the entire situation before making a decision, some may even call it smart. Remember these kids coming in don't necessarily bleed black and gold like you do it takes a lot of salesmanship by the recruiters to get these high profile recruits to even look at Iowa.

IF Fidone chooses Iowa the TE room will be a bit crowded. 3 TEs in one class behind a lock starter w 3 years left (LaPorta) and another with 2 (Byers) Somebody is bound to transfer or switch position.

This is why I think Fidone goes Nebraska. Playing time.

Fidone is in the '21 class. Beyer will be done and LaPorta would in his third season when he arrives. Iowa does not yet have a TE in the '21 class.

Fidone is in the '21 class. Beyer will be done and LaPorta would in his third season when he arrives. Iowa does not yet have a TE in the '21 class.

Yep, I'm a year off. HawkeyeSports shows Beyer as a Jr, apparently they still list the 2019-20 "classes". My bad.

Fidone would actually be walking into a pretty good situation. He could be TE2 w LaPorta (assuming LaPorta doesn't go pro) and in line for TE1 as a Soph...assuming he's that good. But no doubt Nebbie is still telling him he'll have to wait his turn behind the guys with tenure if he goes to Iowa. I can hear Frost saying "Hell, even Noah Fant didn't get the reps he deserved"

Last edited:
Don't forget we pulled some pretty good looking TE commits in the '20 class, I wouldn't assume that Fidone just passes up those guys.

Yep, I'm a year off. HawkeyeSports shows Beyer as a Jr, apparently they still list the 2019-20 "classes". My bad.

Fidone would actually be walking into a pretty good situation. He could be TE2 w LaPorta (assuming LaPorta doesn't go pro) and in line for TE1 as a Soph...assuming he's that good. But no doubt Nebbie is still telling him he'll have to wait his turn behind the guys with tenure if he goes to Iowa. I can hear Frost saying "Hell, even Noah Fant didn't get the reps he deserved"
Haha I could see that. The only people pissed about that now are maybe Fants brother and Dad. And that should've only lasted till Noah heard is named called by Denver. If anything he got to save reps on his body and his legs so even that sort of thing could be spun into a positive too.

Neb has no leg to stand on recruiting TEs against Iowa. No logical ones anyway. I mean if the kid grew up a huge fan was a legacy and promised PT day 1 then that sort of thing you could see (Oh wait didn't we just pull a WR that fit all that from their too?) So yeah I'll be surprised if Fidone doesn't end up a Hawk too. Maybe I'm too cocky at this point about it but we'll see

And Miamen.

I agree with the not parsing words part, I doubt he is scared of the competition. But the reality is he WOULD probably start Day 1 at Nebbie, and he almost certainly would not at Iowa. But his life as a TE would be so much more interesting at Iowa.

Look at what a spread TE does. He will spend lots of time setting screens (not drive-blocking) for read-option plays, WR screens, and RB screens. He will spend a lot of time in the flats as a release valve, or potentially as a bubble-screen target.

At Iowa he will learn to dominate guys in the run game. He will be in-line, in the slot, out wide, etc.. He will spend time up the seem, he will run shallow and deep cross, he will run option routes, he will run arrows and wheels; in short, he will be used all over the field.

I think Jack Stoll is a pretty darn good player for Nebraska (his flop after the AJE offside not withstanding), but his stats from last year tell a pretty boring story about being a Nebraska TE. He was their only TE to receive significant snaps, and he went 25 rec for 234 yds (9.4 yds/rec, 1 TD). In comparison, Iowa's TEs last year when 32 rec for 422 (13.2 yds/rec). This year I would expect those numbers to increase significantly with a full year of LaPorta and a more experienced Beyer.

Good news and great get!

Does anyone have insight to the current mood over on the Nebby boards?
Pretty much the same thing you would hear on this board when an Iowa native chooses to leave.

Kid isn’t that good.

Dad is mad older brothers weren’t awarded scholarships so didn’t push him.

Best of luck to him except for one game.

Going to a 7-8 win Iowa team is no big deal.

Still have a chance to woo him to Nebraska.

Nebby will end up with a better recruiting class.

Omaha has always been iffy for Nebraska, more important to get Florida recruits.

Mocking an Iowa fan that says Ferguson will put Iowa into Natty contention and if Fidone then definitely in Natty contention.

3* WR are a dime a dozen.

Frost has to stop bleeding recruits.

Frost has gotten most of the top 3-4 recruits every year from Nebraska since he’s been here.

Was really hoping to get Brecht from Iowa and Ferguson so this does sting.

One thing that isn’t common — no one on their board hates their coach, thinks he’s lazy for not recruiting every player from Nebby or not having a winning record much less 8 wins per season.

They all like their losing coach. Well, except for one guy. But one guy isn’t a dirty dozen.

And Miamen.

I agree with the not parsing words part, I doubt he is scared of the competition. But the reality is he WOULD probably start Day 1 at Nebbie, and he almost certainly would not at Iowa. But his life as a TE would be so much more interesting at Iowa.

Look at what a spread TE does. He will spend lots of time setting screens (not drive-blocking) for read-option plays, WR screens, and RB screens. He will spend a lot of time in the flats as a release valve, or potentially as a bubble-screen target.

At Iowa he will learn to dominate guys in the run game. He will be in-line, in the slot, out wide, etc.. He will spend time up the seem, he will run shallow and deep cross, he will run option routes, he will run arrows and wheels; in short, he will be used all over the field.

I think Jack Stoll is a pretty darn good player for Nebraska (his flop after the AJE offside not withstanding), but his stats from last year tell a pretty boring story about being a Nebraska TE. He was their only TE to receive significant snaps, and he went 25 rec for 234 yds (9.4 yds/rec, 1 TD). In comparison, Iowa's TEs last year when 32 rec for 422 (13.2 yds/rec). This year I would expect those numbers to increase significantly with a full year of LaPorta and a more experienced Beyer.
This is excellent

Keagan is a Beast

Runs with power and skill

He has a stutter step move that puts potential tacklers out of position

Gonna be fun to watch him and the other solid receivers coming on board

For Spencer and TheDeuce to connect with

Deuce might be called DoubleD in time

:cool:

I saw a Neb fan say that they thoroughly dominated Iowa last year aside from three lucky plays, as if Iowa making big plays doesn’t count. They are insane
Any time the fact that Iowa is a much better program, I keep reading Debbie fans say "oh, you mean the Iowa team that had to beat us the past 2 seasons by a fg - our worst teams in program history against 2 of your best years"..... I've seen that take. They are insane. That take is assuming that college football is played in a vacuum. Iowa is not only beating them regularly, but they are also winning a lot more football games in general. That counts too as well as head to head. I am sorry that they can't figure out that a. that's how Iowa wins football games and b. whether Iowa wins by 50 or 1, it doesn't change the fact that Iowa is a 9 win team and they are a 4 or 5 win team.

I'll also add that - there is NOTHING better then taking these kids out from under Nebraska in my opinion. Their media is going NUTS. Their fan base is going nuts. It's all their talking about.