STORY: Close-to-Home Cincinnati Poses Stiff Challenge for Hawkeyes

Ugh. But Iowa does themselves no favors with their end of the year collapses. The committee takes that into consideration. If Iowa would actually win in February they would avoid these situations. You reap what you sow.

This does not seem like a game that Iowa will win. Of course, I hope I'm wrong. I'm just trying to manage my expectations.

This does not seem like a game that Iowa will win. Of course, I hope I'm wrong. I'm just trying to manage my expectations.

Eh....who knows really. Iowa ran through their non conference schedule undefeated then got beat up towards the end of big ten play. How does that translate to a neutral court vs a non big ten opponent? Not to mention Cincy plays in a down conference.

I'm not saying Iowa will win, this is a pretty bad draw considering the location of the game. However, 3 years ago Iowa collapsed down the stretch and beat Temple in the first round. 4 years ago Iowa lost to Penn State in the opening round of the BTT and then destroyed Davidson in the first round.

I thought we'd lose to Oregon, Connecticut, ISU, Michigan (the first time), Indiana both times so there is that at least. I think we'll lose to Cincinnati as maybe it follows that....

Ugh. But Iowa does themselves no favors with their end of the year collapses. The committee takes that into consideration. If Iowa would actually win in February they would avoid these situations. You reap what you sow.
If the committee truly values that they don’t show it elsewhere:

Oklahoma: lost 8 of their last 12. Get a 9 seed when some had them out of tournament.

Marquette: lost 5 of their final 6. 5 seed

Maryland: lose 3 of their final 4. 6 seed

If the committee truly values that they don’t show it elsewhere:

Oklahoma: lost 8 of their last 12. Get a 9 seed when some had them out of tournament.

Marquette: lost 5 of their final 6. 5 seed

Maryland: lose 3 of their final 4. 6 seed

I’d say Iowa has a poorly viewed reputation and perception that people outside of Iowa poorly think of them. I’m sure Fran’s behavior plays a small part as well.

I was just amazed that Cincy gets to play in Columbus as a #7 seed. When the talking heads said we needed to be a #1/#2 seed to get to play in DSM, because it was so close to home. The committee didn't want high seeds to have to play "away" games. If #2 seed Tennessee has to play Cincy in Columbus, I don't see how that isn't the case.

I have Bob Huggins Bearcat teams in my head. Those teams with the relentless, nasty, in your face defense. Huggins has been gone for like a decade so I should join everyone in 2019.

@mopkins points have merit. I just do not like the vibe of this team at all. Garza looks like he is coming around and Baer will show up, everybody else I have no clue.

I think Iowa gets worked on Friday. Love to be wrong.

I remember how bad of a matchup Davidson was supposed to be. They played a really small lineup that was gunna run us off the floor. After we won it wasn't a big deal because Davidson sucked. If we do win Friday, there will be a lot of posts about how bad Cincinnati is.

I remember how bad of a matchup Davidson was supposed to be. They played a really small lineup that was gunna run us off the floor. After we won it wasn't a big deal because Davidson sucked. If we do win Friday, there will be a lot of posts about how bad Cincinnati is.

True. The NCAA Tournament brings surprises.

That said, those Hawkeyes that beat Davidson won their final six regular season games, including at Wisconsin and Maryland. Yeah, it lost to Penn State in the BTT, but it was playing well heading into the postseason.

That said, those Hawkeyes that beat Davidson won their final six regular season games, including at Wisconsin and Maryland. Yeah, it lost to Penn State in the BTT, but it was playing well heading into the postseason.

I'm just not sure it matters that much how a team has done in the recent past once the tournament rolls around. They were playing great, then they played terrible against Penn State, then they played great again. I do agree with your point tho that in hindsight it's less surprising they won the way they did, based on going 6-0 to finish. But before the game was played, our fans and the talking heads were talking up Davidson pretty good, and they all know how Iowa finished the season.

Their road wins in that pre Davidson stretch included Penn State, Indiana and Michigan. Wisconsin and Maryland were in 2017.

Aaron White made a huge defensive play in OT at Penn State by stealing an inbounds pass and sealing the game with subsequent free throws.

I can't help but think we've got something left in the tank. Hopefully no B1G officials and arm barring and grabbing on the perimeter will be called.

I have Bob Huggins Bearcat teams in my head. Those teams with the relentless, nasty, in your face defense. Huggins has been gone for like a decade so I should join everyone in 2019.

@mopkins points have merit. I just do not like the vibe of this team at all. Garza looks like he is coming around and Baer will show up, everybody else I have no clue.

I think Iowa gets worked on Friday. Love to be wrong.

I don't have a great feeling about this game at all. Just saying that there are a few reasons to be optimistic.

They're gonna need to hit their 3s.

I don't have a great feeling about this game at all. Just saying that there are a few reasons to be optimistic.

They're gonna need to hit their 3s.
Yes, and it will help if Bohannon and Wieskamp take more that 7 shots, combined.