STORY: Close-to-Home Cincinnati Poses Stiff Challenge for Hawkeyes

Yes, and it will help if Bohannon and Wieskamp take more that 7 shots, combined.

Opponents are running J-Bo off the line. He's getting little to no space. I mean, they're almost behind him and pushing him in. Wieskamp needs to set up for his deep looks. He's not as good at catch-and-shoot unless he's set.

Big Ten teams have Iowa scouted very well. We'll see if there's any daylight against a non-con opponent.

Eh....who knows really. Iowa ran through their non conference schedule undefeated then got beat up towards the end of big ten play. How does that translate to a neutral court vs a non big ten opponent? Not to mention Cincy plays in a down conference.

I'm not saying Iowa will win, this is a pretty bad draw considering the location of the game. However, 3 years ago Iowa collapsed down the stretch and beat Temple in the first round. 4 years ago Iowa lost to Penn State in the opening round of the BTT and then destroyed Davidson in the first round.
And we’re 4-1 on neutral courts this year.

And we’re 4-1 on neutral courts this year.
We are also 0-5 with an average margin of defeat in the double digits in 5 road games this year against NCAA tournament teams.

In a way this feels like just as much of a road game as it does a neutral site game.

Opponents are running J-Bo off the line. He's getting little to no space. I mean, they're almost behind him and pushing him in. Wieskamp needs to set up for his deep looks. He's not as good at catch-and-shoot unless he's set.

Big Ten teams have Iowa scouted very well. We'll see if there's any daylight against a non-con opponent.

If I'm coaching Bohannon I teach him a shot-fake. Teams are scared to death of his quick three, and he's not taking advantage of it. If he shot fakes they're almost for sure going to bite on it. Then he can either jump into them and draw a foul and shoot 3 free throws (like James Harden always does), or he can do a myriad of other things besides just give up and pass the ball away

Really frustrates me he doesn't do this...ever.

We are also 0-5 with an average margin of defeat in the double digits in 5 road games this year against NCAA tournament teams.

In a way this feels like just as much of a road game as it does a neutral site game.

We're 1-1 vs NCAA tournament teams on a neutral court (oregon and Michigan) and we're 2-0 against non-conference tournament teams (Oregon and Iowa State). We can cherry pick numbers all day if we want to

Cincy isn't playing in their home stadium with their home lockers and playing on the court they practice on. They will have a lopsided fan base, but that's not the same thing.

If I'm coaching Bohannon I teach him a shot-fake. Teams are scared to death of his quick three, and he's not taking advantage of it. If he shot fakes they're almost for sure going to bite on it. Then he can either jump into them and draw a foul and shoot 3 free throws (like James Harden always does), or he can do a myriad of other things besides just give up and pass the ball away

Really frustrates me he doesn't do this...ever.
The problem is he’s already dribbling the ball. A shot fake doesn’t do him a whole lot of good after picking up his dribble (he can try to draw the foul but he’s not getting the calls like Harden does).

That’s why we would like him to play more minutes at the 2. The problem is our only other PG has serious deficiencies in his game and when both are on the floor together our defense is very suspect. Hopefully when he’s playing the two the refs will call the other team for grabbing and holding him, the B1G officials certainly didn’t make that call.

The problem has been identified. They must come up with a solution. Whatever they've been doing isn't working. I wouldn't want to rely on Cincinnati not being able to understand what the Big Ten teams understand. It's up to the coaches to get something put together to get them more looks. Doing the same thing over expecting a better result is not a winning strategy. Where have I read that argument before?

We're 1-1 vs NCAA tournament teams on a neutral court (oregon and Michigan) and we're 2-0 against non-conference tournament teams (Oregon and Iowa State). We can cherry pick numbers all day if we want to

Cincy isn't playing in their home stadium with their home lockers and playing on the court they practice on. They will have a lopsided fan base, but that's not the same thing.
Correct. Someone pointed out a stat, and I pointed out another stat. Whichever stat you prefer is up to you.

I have no idea how this game will play out. If I did I’d be a rich man.

The problem has been identified. They must come up with a solution. Whatever they've been doing isn't working. I wouldn't want to rely on Cincinnati not being able to understand what the Big Ten teams understand. It's up to the coaches to get something put together to get them more looks. Doing the same thing over expecting a better result is not a winning strategy. Where have I read that argument before?

No argument from me.

Opponents adjusted to Iowa during the last month. Iowa has not countered.

Can it? We'll see.

Correct. Someone pointed out a stat, and I pointed out another stat. Whichever stat you prefer is up to you.

I have no idea how this game will play out. If I did I’d be a rich man.

I hate the draw and I hate the matchup for Iowa. But hey...its the dance and anything can happen. I just fear the blowout. Down 12 at half, lose by 23. that would be awful

I do assume that iowa is glad to be done playing Big Ten opponents.

Exactly. And I find it hard to believe Cincinatti fans are buying 80% of the tickets. I suspect Tennessee will be well represented. And...as others have said...they are smart enough to want Iowa in Round 2. I suspect it will be an evenly divided crowd.

The problem is he’s already dribbling the ball. A shot fake doesn’t do him a whole lot of good after picking up his dribble (he can try to draw the foul but he’s not getting the calls like Harden does).

That’s why we would like him to play more minutes at the 2. The problem is our only other PG has serious deficiencies in his game and when both are on the floor together our defense is very suspect. Hopefully when he’s playing the two the refs will call the other team for grabbing and holding him, the B1G officials certainly didn’t make that call.

Actually a lot of his shots lately have come off the dribble. especially as the clock is winding down. His last second shot vs Nebraska was blocked because they knew it was coming. A shot fake there and he either draws the foul or gets a way better look.

I’ll give the devil’s advocate take: come tournament time, most coaches go with what has gotten them this far. With you they are.

It would be difficult to go against or do something different than what’s got you here —- unless you’re a low seed going against a top seed — what have you got to lose.

If Cincy hasn’t had their guards pressure and they do against Iowa but with no success — media, fans, players will be asking, why didn’t we play our game?

Actually a lot of his shots lately have come off the dribble. especially as the clock is winding down. His last second shot vs Nebraska was blocked because they knew it was coming. A shot fake there and he either draws the foul or gets a way better look.
Yes throughout his career he’s shot a high number of shots off the dribble, which makes his shooting that much more impressive. The problem is when guys are locked into him he can’t get it off. When you’re only 6’ a pump fake doesn’t do a whole lot when you can’t take a one step side dribble to get your open shot. A pump fake with a dead dribble does nothing for a guy like Bohannon in most cases.

Thus the reason many want to move him off the ball and run him through screens. If he can get some space coming off a screen he can catch and shoot, or if a guy closes out out of control he can pump and put a dribble down to get his shot off. Again, he doesn’t get that space with a dead dribble.

If anything there could be anti-Cincinnati fans there. It is Columbus after all. If Iowa was playing in Des Moines I guarantee there would be Cyclone fans from Des Moines and Ames buying tickets for no other reason than to root against Iowa.

Tennessee fans won't be rooting for Cincinnati either.

This isn't the NBA he isn't going to get the garbage calls that Harden gets. If he is going to copy any NBA guy it is Steph. Create space to get your jumper off with your dribble. JBo is more than capable of the crossover, step back.

If anything there could be anti-Cincinnati fans there. It is Columbus after all. If Iowa was playing in Des Moines I guarantee there would be Cyclone fans from Des Moines and Ames buying tickets for no other reason than to root against Iowa.

Tennessee fans won't be rooting for Cincinnati either.
Good point. I’m going to the games Saturday. I’m cheering for the Big 10. I hope the Big 10 fans in attendance cheer for Iowa.

No argument from me.

Opponents adjusted to Iowa during the last month. Iowa has not countered.

Can it? We'll see.

It's too late to bring in a quick pt guard I think to counter with.

So unless the coach is stupid, what can they counter with?

Cook shooting 3s?