Story: Bakari Evelyn Not Concerned w/ Competing Against Connor McCaffery

NM St has made the NCAA tourney 8 times in the last ten years.
Iowa has made it 4 times in that many years.
I think Jans has signed 5 or 6 players in this class so far. I'm kind of surprised he's still courting recruits for this year.

I don’t really view this kid as a point guard. Reportedly he’s up to 6’4. I think this kid would come in and provide minutes at the 2 and potentially 3 spots.

I would also add when you’re on your 3rd school typically there is some baggage. The good news is it only has to work for one year.

Bottom line is Iowa is in desperate need of backcourt help.

I don’t really view this kid as a point guard. Reportedly he’s up to 6’4. I think this kid would come in and provide minutes at the 2 and potentially 3 spots.

I would also add when you’re on your 3rd school typically there is some baggage. The good news is it only has to work for one year.

Bottom line is Iowa is in desperate need of backcourt help.

Not sure if you read my story, but he said he’s been a point guard his whole life and that Fran sees him as a combo guard. He told me he’s 6-2.

Not sure if you read my story, but he said he’s been a point guard his whole life and that Fran sees him as a combo guard. He told me he’s 6-2.
I did read it. Elsewhere I saw he was 6’4 so I was confused but I’d definitely take his word for it over anyone else. Heights in basketball are always a fun one.

I think positional flexibility is a good thing, he’s more suited to handle the PG duties than say Dailey or Williams probably were. I just don’t see a guy with a career 1/1 assist to turnover as a primary PG.

My thought was just that the majority of his minutes would come as a 2, that’s where we are arguably the thinnest right now. I do like the slashing type ability he showed his sophomore year.

I did read it. Elsewhere I saw he was 6’4 so I was confused but I’d definitely take his word for it over anyone else. Heights in basketball are always a fun one.

I think positional flexibility is a good thing, he’s more suited to handle the PG duties than say Dailey or Williams probably were. I just don’t see a guy with a career 1/1 assist to turnover as a primary PG.

My thought was just that the majority of his minutes would come as a 2, that’s where we are arguably the thinnest right now. I do like the slashing type ability he showed his sophomore year.

Gotcha. Didn’t know if you saw his comments about Fran and Sherm seeing him as a 1-2 combo and those being the positions at which he feels most comfortable.

I know he wasn’t completely healthy, but the drop off in his shooting percentages from last season were significant.

Gotcha. Didn’t know if you saw his comments about Fran and Sherm seeing him as a 1-2 combo and those being the positions at which he feels most comfortable.

I know he wasn’t completely healthy, but the drop off in his shooting percentages from last season were significant.
Can he play defense? Does he love to play defense? Does he understand defense? That's what's missing on the team.

Give the choice and chance, would you trade Isaiah Moss for Evelyn?

Speaking purely on skill/talent level, probably not. Moss is a pure scorer that I don't think we'll have on the team next season unless CJF steps up. I think Moss's best basketball is still ahead of him and he's never had injury issues. I will not be shocked if he averages 12-15 ppg this season and is a star for Arkansas.

However, every team wants guys that want to be there. If a guy is even toying with the idea of transfer, unless he was explicitly told to do so by the coach, he likely didn't have the buy in you want. Evelyn, should he decide to come, will have bought into the team and his stated goal is to make the NCAA tournament. You know a guy like that will be fighting tooth and nail to get there. Add experience and talent at a position of need to that and I'll take the trade every day of the week.

No. That seems like a pretty large stretch at this point.

One guy was putting up fairly consistent numbers in the B1G, the other guy struggled at a mid major.

Look at the teams that pursued them as grad transfers, the proof is in the pudding as they say.

Iowa has two point guards in Connor McCaffery and Joe Toussaint. It has one shooting guard in CJ Fredrick.
Baktari can play 1 & 2. Moss is a 2. I liked Moss, and respect him as a player and class individual, but it always made me scratch my head how he could light the world on fire one game and disappear the next.

And while I am a huge Toussaint fan, I don't expect him to be able to carry the load at PG his freshman year. But I think his upside is YUGE. :p

So I'll take Baktari for Moss. But I can easily see your POV as well.

Yes.

If we land Evelyn, it likely gives us three guards (Joe T. and CJ also) that have the ability to get by their man from the perimeter. Last season, we didn’t have one, including Moss. Wieskamp did it a few times and I’m hoping he’ll do it more as he becomes a larger part of the offense. It amazes me we were as efficient as we were on offense. IMHO, guards like Joe T and Evelyn (and hopefully CJ) cause fits for the defense. As soon as that initial breakdown occurs and they get past their man, all kinds of options open up. I, for one, hope the days of watching guys handing off around the perimeter are gone, or at least greatly lessened.