Storming,your thoughts for todays game?

Preview/Prediction is going to be up in about 45 min or so.
I don't like MN's pressure D - Iowa will have trouble w it again.

MN wins easily. They create all kinds of problems for us. The only hope is that they have now packed it in too....i still say MN 81-59.

Minny ran into a buzzsaw vs Michigan the other nite. It is weird how some teams just inexplicably give certain other teams problems...Michigan just kills Minny. Illini have Wiskys number. Wisky has MSU's number. MSU has the illini's number...go figure.

I am hoping that the loss to Michigan sucked the will to play right out of the goophers...but it is senior day,and Damian Johnson/Westbrook were popular players at minny,and gopher fans like paying back Iowa for football,so I am thinking the Barn will still be lively enough to inspire the gophers to play decent.
As Jerry Garcia sang,'' we need a miracle,every gameday''...Iowa 68 Minny 66,3OT.

Honestly, I had thought of the "packing it in" thing, but if you look at MN, they have a few quality wins, and as much as they have tanked, they can def get back on the bubble with a 4 win game streak. They did get swept by UM and lost to Ind, so that kills. BUt interestingly enough they are 40 in the KenPom and somewhere in the 70s for RPI, if they can get to BTT champ game, they COULD (albeit unlikely) sneak in with a 21-13 record and an RPI around 50ish. If anything, I see this game as a vault for UM one way or another, either they do mail it in and coast to an NIT or CBI berth or they get on fire and make a run to get back on the bubble - also depends on what Illinois does too.

Honestly, I had thought of the "packing it in" thing, but if you look at MN, they have a few quality wins, and as much as they have tanked, they can def get back on the bubble with a 4 win game streak. They did get swept by UM and lost to Ind, so that kills. BUt interestingly enough they are 40 in the KenPom and somewhere in the 70s for RPI, if they can get to BTT champ game, they COULD (albeit unlikely) sneak in with a 21-13 record and an RPI around 50ish. If anything, I see this game as a vault for UM one way or another, either they do mail it in and coast to an NIT or CBI berth or they get on fire and make a run to get back on the bubble - also depends on what Illinois does too.

This is what I was thinking as well. I don't see them laying down for Iowa, which then means it will most likely be a blow out. It just gets depressing knowing that your team will most likely struggle to be competitive before the game even starts to an NIT team.

I concurr. Minny was playing pretty well until that Michigan game. The wolves just hit shots that nite. Minny should have won that PU game also...and had a real nice streak going. I do think they are actually playing good enough make the tourny...til michigan. And I do think their side of the bracket is vulnerable with PU hurting,Illini dumb,...wisky is still a problem...but minny just beat the snot outta them...so ya never know.
I think Tubby will milk that hope for today...Hawks better strap it down tight early today or it could get ugly.

Iowa MBB @ Minnesota Preview/Prediction | Hawkeye Nation

Game Info

Iowa (10-20, 4-13) at Minnesota (17-12, 8-9)
RPI: Iowa 193, Minnesota77
POMEROY: Iowa 151, Minnesota 40
March 7, 2010 • 5:06 p.m.
Minneapolis, MN • Williams Arena
TV: BTN (HD) • Live Stats: hawkeyesports.com • Satellite Radio: XM 143, Sirius 122
Series Record: Minnesota leads 97-88 (Last Meeting, Minnesota, 86-74, Jan. 2, 2010)
Probable Starting Lineups

Iowa
Pos. No. Name Ht. Wt. Yr. Statistical Summary
G 3 Cully Payne 6-1 190 Fr. 8.3 ppg, 3.0 rpg, 3.8 apg, .355 FG%, .627 FT%
G 5 Matt Gatens 6-5 215 So. 12.5 ppg, 4.4 rpg, 3.3 apg, .373 FG%, .827 FT%
F 25 Eric May 6-5 225 Fr. 9.1 ppg, 4.8 rpg, 1.1 spg, .407 FG%, .667 FT%
F 24 Aaron Fuller 6-6 230 So. 9.5 ppg, 6.0 rpg, 0.7 apg, .472 FG%, .683 FT%
C 50 Jarryd Cole 6-7 250 Jr. 8.2 ppg, 5.1 rpg, 0.5 apg, .573 FG%, .640 FT%
Minnesota
Pos. No. Name Ht. Wt. Yr. Statistical Summary
G 5 Devoe Joseph 6-3 179 So. 8.7 ppg, 2.8 rpg, 3.0 apg, .381 FG%, .672 FT%
G 20 Lawrence Westbrook 6-0 193 Sr. 12.6 ppg, 2.5 rpg, 2.2 apg, .478 FG%, .839 FT%
G 24 Blake Hoffarber 6-4 210 Jr. 10.8 ppg, 3.7 rpg, 1.9 apg, .510 FG%, .833 FT%
F 34 Damian Johnson 6-7 205 Sr. 10.3 ppg, 4.4 rpg, 1.9 bpg, .538 FG%, .733 FT%
C 50 Ralph Sampson III 6-11 241 So. 8.7 ppg, 6.3 rpg, 1.8 bpg, .530 FG%, .641 FT%
VanLaere Notes

No VLOG for this game.
No Live Chat for this game, but here’s the GAME THREAD.
Call it the luck of the draw, but Iowa gets to finish the season with back-to-back roadies, both being Senior Nights for the opposing team. Tonight, the Gopher fans with bid adieu to three seniors – Westbrook, Johnson, and Bostick. If the Gophers’ on-court intensity wasn’t enough for the Hawkeyes to handle, they will now have to deal with that element, as well.
Last time these two teams faced off back in January, the game was decided well within the first five minutes of the game. After Gatens’ bucket under the basket just 90 seconds into the game to put the score 3-2 in favor of the Gophers, Iowa succumbed to Tubby’s pressure D. The Hawkeyes went on a 5 for 5 run, by that I mean Iowa turned the ball over five straight possessions. The Gophers got up by double-digits and never looked back. Don’t expect Minnesota to dial down the pressure in the rematch, either. And while I highly, highly doubt we will see Blake Hoffarbor do what he did against Iowa again (I recall he made about 35 three pointers and ended up with something like 105 points in that game), the Hawkeyes didn’t have to guard Ralph Sampson’s boy either.
Some folks look at the Gophers and say they are tanking it, going 5-5 in their last 10 games, after seemingly having an NCAA Tournament bid in hand. The thing is, besides the blowout loss in Ann Arbor, Minnesota has been alright. They’ve beat Wisconsin and Illinois in that span, and lost to Purdue by a single point at home. Seeing where their Pomeroy and RPI ratings are right now, if they can get to the Big Ten Championship game, they would most definitely be back on the bubble and could possibly sneak in with a 21-13 record and an RPI around 50ish. If anything, I see this game as a fork in the road for the Gophers, either they mail it in and end up in a lower postseason tourney or they get going, make a run, and get back on the bubble.
PLAYERS TO WATCH FOR:
Blake Hoffarbor. During the game back in Carver, Iowa thought it’d be ok to leave a nearly 50% 3 point shooter open. Time and time again, Hoffarbor had open looks from downtown and put 8 of those 11 three pointers in the hole. I don’t see that happening again, I would hope the coaching staff would make adjustments… however, he’s still a guy to watch at all times.
Iverson/Sampson. I was unimpressed with Colton the last time these two played, but with Sampson also on the court Minnesota is a big more potent down low. Both these guys are widely inconsistent on the offensive side of the court, but they bring a terrific inside presence on the defensive side of the court.
Westbrook. For a guy that can go off at any point during a game, Lawrence doesn’t do it enough for Minnesota. With this being his last game in The Barn, I expect a huge game from Westbrook, especially on the defensive end.
KEYS TO THE GAME:

• SHOOT THREES, MAKE THREES. Although Fuller is resourceful down low, we saw last game vs. Wisconsin what happens when Aaron has to go up against a couple trees in the paint. Iowa will have no choice in this game but to jack up a ton of treys, and they will need to be hitting them.
  • PLAY UNDER CONTROL. Minnesota is going to be inside the jocks of the Hawkeye players. Iowa’s inexperienced team cannot let this pressure get the best of them, especially on the road on Senior Night.
  • GET THE BOARDS AND 2ND CHANCE POINTS. Iowa will be limited in possessions more than they normally are, as I project them to have at least 16-18 turnovers in this game. Therefore, Iowa has to hit the boards with a purpose, they’ll need as many extra possessions as they can get.
PREDICTION: Minnesota has been underwhelming this year, with Iowa falling into that same category, as well. The full court pressure from the experienced backcourt of the Gophers should and will reek havoc on the Hawkeyes. Turnovers will give Minnesota extra possessions, fast breaks, and a lot of momentum in this one. Iowa 51, Minnesota 67

IMO- Iowa will struggled to hit the 40 mark in this game. Watch Iowa again threaten to not score 40. This is a terrible match-up for Iowa today. Getting tired of saying this..

I say Iowa 45 Minnesota-74

Come Hawks play with some heart and prove me wrong, it's the Gophers, get fired up for this one.....!!!!!!!!!!!

Spank, I'm being a bit picky here, but to still describe a team as "inexperienced" at this point in the year is, at the least, a stretch.

Spank, I'm being a bit picky here, but to still describe a team as "inexperienced" at this point in the year is, at the least, a stretch.

So I guess next we should be experienced right??:D

Seriously it's almost hard to imagined that in year 4 we could be saying the same? IMO those excuses should not apply in the 2010/2011 season.

Experienced
Cole
Gatens
Fuller
May
Brommer
Cougs
Archie- Granted 1st year playing. Full year in system.

Inexpericed
Brust
Larson
McCabe
Marble

Last edited:
So I guess next we should be experienced right??:D

Right!!! Next year we should be starting a senior (Cole), two juniors (Gatens & Fuller), and 2 sophomores (May & Payne). NO FRESHMEN STARTERS!!!

I hardly see how we can use youth as an excuse next year.

Last edited:
We can't use youth as an excuse this time of year. Number one these guys have played more AAU ball against big time competition since they were probably sophomores. ALso one B10 season under their belt (some more) so we are not inexperienced at all. Minnesota will not tank it...look for Minnesota to come out and press us, pressure man and dare us to beat them off the dribble (which we can't). I look for Minnesota to start on fire go up 10 in the first 6 minutes and then coast to halftime and be up by 15. Then to start the 2nd half they will absolutely come out on fire and extend the lead to 28....we do the usual and come back late to cut it to 15 or so.

I bring up inexperience in the backcourt because you have a savvy senior like Westbrook guarding a freshman like Cully. That's all I am saying in that regard.

Just messin with ya Stormin...you get to any Minnesota HS girls games? My bro-in-law coaches at Blue Earth, he is looking for a return trip to State. Just curious...they live in WInnebago...I go up there all the time.

Latest posts