Stormin--Impressions on Brust

This whole misunderstanding and supposed anger makes no sense.

How can you be mad about something now that was no different than the day they signed their letters of intent, whenever that was. The minute they signed those LOIs, they could not accept a scholarship from another BT school. So maybe they should be mad at Lickliter as well for not telling them so back then.

How can they honestly answer the question - If I had known about this rule, I wouldn't have asked for my release? There's no logic to their supposed anger. If their answer would be - I wouldn't have asked for my release, then re-commit. If their answer would be - it wouldn't have made any difference, then go on. They seem to want it both ways, but it's not possible. Therefore, their anger is misplaced and contrived.

If they want to come to Iowa, fine, if they don't, fine.

As far as the other BT schools, do we know they were contemplating scholarship offers, or simply "recruiting" them to come to the school, without any discussion of scholarships?

Well put.

Quick version:

1) Players were granted release from Iowa
2) Numerous other big 10 schools showed interest
3) The players and families were unaware that a rule is in place that they would have to pay their own way to go to another big 10 school, even after Iowa released them from the LOIs---they were allegedly not happy with Iowa.
4) The "rule" is not an Iowa rule, rather a big 10 conf. rule
5) This lack of communication between Barta and the Brust/Larson families has allegedly led to some unhappy feelings.

The ship has sailed....so be it.
Hey! Simple life lesson. When you try to cherry pick your way in life sometimes your going to get burned. No one to blame other than the person staring at you in the mirror.

Ben grew up watching the Big 10 and is a Big 10 fan and wants to play in the Big 10. Ben is a big Hawkeye fan by all accounts. Ben can play for a good coach that is going to let you have fun and play up tempo basketball with his good friends Cully Payne and Roy Marble Jr. Ben has worked his entire life to this point to earn a full ride to a D1 University. Hey Ben, re-commit to Iowa and all problems are solved!

It's a binding contract. I signed my first music management contract very close to the age that Brust is now, and my parents had nothing to do with the process. You don't think I had a lawyer look at all of the in's and out's of the contract? Especially the OUT'S. What if this happens? What if that happens? What are my options if those things occur. Bottom line is that if the parents didn't know about this rule it is because they didn't do their full due dilligence before allowing their 18 year old child to sign a binding contract. Period.

Furthermore, had this rule been communicated at the time of them signing their LOI, do you think that either of them would have decided not to sign? Absolutely not. That is ridiculous. Their anger with Barta would be like me being upset that my record company I signed with had rights to my likeness beyond the life of the contract, and didn't tell me about it. If I didn't know that, that is my fault for not knowing what I am signing. If Ben wants to be mad at someone, he should be mad at Mom and Dad.

If I remember correctly Ben broke his ankle his Junior year in high school which slowed his recruiting. He did play AAU ball last summer but I don't think he had any other Big Ten offers last fall, maybe Northwestern.

I think the November signing was mutually convenient/beneficial at the time for both Iowa and Ben. So he has nothing to be upset about now that he can't go to another Big Ten school.

Last edited:
Don't forget... Ben's signing with Iowa was on the front page of Scout.com when it happened...

I'd say he and his family was excited last fall...

Thank you for bringing some sanity...

How can you be mad about something now that was no different than the day they signed their letters of intent, whenever that was. The minute they signed those LOIs, they could not accept a scholarship from another BT school. So maybe they should be mad at Lickliter as well for not telling them so back then.

How can they honestly answer the question - If I had known about this rule, I wouldn't have asked for my release? There's no logic to their supposed anger. If their answer would be - I wouldn't have asked for my release, then re-commit. If their answer would be - it wouldn't have made any difference, then go on. They seem to want it both ways, but it's not possible. Therefore, their anger is misplaced and contrived.

As far as the other BT schools, do we know they were contemplating scholarship offers, or simply "recruiting" them to come to the school, without any discussion of scholarships?

to this issue. Understand Brust and Larson's frustration with the Big 10 rule, but it is just that, a Big 10 rule. All Barta asked was that they meet with McCaffery before granting any release from a LOI. Iowa did that unconditionally once both met with McCaffery and then granted their releases. At that point it is up to the players and their parents to know the ramifications of that decision.

When (approximately) do we expect to hear about Brust and other recruits? I've been reading about a dead period that we are in currently, correct? When is that over and how long do we have before the next dead period?

When (approximately) do we expect to hear about Brust and other recruits? I've been reading about a dead period that we are in currently, correct? When is that over and how long do we have before the next dead period?

We are in a contact period.
Dead period starts 21st.

you would think these recruits would be thrilled with the coaching change. We had to play the most boring ball in the country. If it weren't for the dogs racing at half time I would not even go. "Pass it around for 45 seconds and someone throw up a three" Once the shot goes up--sprint to the other end..god forbid we try to get a rebound.

you would think these recruits would be thrilled with the coaching change. We had to play the most boring ball in the country. If it weren't for the dogs racing at half time I would not even go. "Pass it around for 45 seconds and someone throw up a three" Once the shot goes up--sprint to the other end..god forbid we try to get a rebound.
This is what I keep coming back to. Who in their right minds would rather play Lickliter brand basketball than the up-tempo brand Coach Caff prefers??

This says it all. And this is exactly the context reporters should be putting it in when/if these kids and parents start commenting about how upset they are about it.

In my opinion, the kids (and parents) are looking for something to hang their hat on to make them feel better about de-committing. This was the best thing they could find. Iowa has handled everything about this issue with class and transparency.

We may know more, but the signing period goes until the middle of May.

This is a good thing. I hope Brust takes all the time he needs to think this through. The longer he waits to make a decision the better Iowa's chances are at resigning him. You need some time for the parents to calm down.

Latest posts