Still not looking at W's and L's, but......

1977Hawkeye

This is basically just an extension of the current front page article, but I wanted to weigh in.

I said a couple months ago that I wasn't so concerned about the overall record this year, provided the team continue to improve and was being competetive. At one point, it seemed like we were getting that for a stretch of about 3 or 4 games, but at this point, I just am not seeing it anymore.

The problem is, our last three road games have been utter disasters. Yes, I realize that two of those opponents were Purdue and Wisconsin, but we scored exactly 40 points in each of those games, which is the lowest total in something like 60+ years for any Iowa team. We've now done something TWICE in the last 3 road games that hadn't been done a single time in over half a century previously. Then there was the Northwestern embarrassment, which is borderline unforgiveable, and that might be understating it. All three of these road games were over by halftime, if not more like the mid-way point of the first half.

I wasn't asking for wins in the Purdue and Wisconsin games, but sweet mercy, can we at least be remotely competetive and make these teams break a sweat even if it's in defeat? Kinid of like the game @MSU?

But 1977, the team plays much better at home! That's quite true, but show me a team that doesn't. I can't think of a team that has a tougher time on the road, but our squad really seems to just not show up at all these days. I found that our better road performances came earlier in the conference season (@MSU, @Indiana, and maybe even @OSU). The last 3 have been absolutely horrific. I must ask: how is that deemed improvement?

Our four conference wins are: Twice against possibly the worst Indiana team I have ever seen, except maybe for last year. At home vs. a PSU team that was winless in the league up until a couple weeks ago. And against a decent Northwestern team.

Our best win on the season is against what is looking like an NIT team (NW). Looking back over the other 9 wins, I don't see any other teams in there that will even have a post-season. So just one win that I can really look at and think there was something there. 1 win in a 30+ game season though could easily be considered a fluke.

Bottom line, I am losing hope. I look at the team I have seen the past couple of weeks, and I seriously wonder how this same team can make such a turnaround as to win 17-18 games and make the NIT. Unlike the 2000 football season, I just am not feeling it. This feels more like KF's first 1-11 season. Except now we are in year 3.

I am in despair.

Not to pile on,but that NW win at CHA was by 2 points!...we are one basket away from 11th. PSU did not get us at their place,so we caught a break there...PSU would beat us at their place,probably handily,right now. We are in a dead heat with IU in a race to the bottom as the worst team in the league. Chicago St played NW tougher last nite in Evanston than we did....sickening.

Following on the OP, one of the things that frustrates me is when I read posts from fans who respond to exasperation by others at a performance like last night by saying, "What, did you expect to win?"

That argument misses the point as badly as it could. Sadly, no, we don't expect to win at Wisconsin or Purdue--but we do expect to see something other than a total meltdown, and short of wins quality of play is the only measure we have as to whether progress is being made.

Perhaps this is a moot point now, because I think--I hope--that by next year quality of play will be mostly irrelevant and its win or else.

My mistake,...I was thinking about all our wins,and confused PSU with NW...3 point win over PSU at home....man they have to be kicking themselves ,they are much better than Iowa right now.

As for NW...we caught lightning in the bottle that nite,eh?

Latest posts