Stephen McCarty joins Hawks as Walk-On

So what is our pg situation now?

Cully Payne
Stephen McCarty
Devyn Marble (maybe can play some minutes at point)

Still not feeling real comfortable about this. I think Coco Ware would be ideal because he wouldn't take up a 2011 schollie. Even adding the guy from the fieldhouse that the Daily Iowan wrote about would help.

Ur welcome CRHawk, Im just glad were starting to add some more depth, even though it might be walk on variety...

Neb Hawk, its a highlight film, we are only going to see the good. I wish there was a link that we could watch a full game. This would tell us more and give us a better guage of what we are getting. I worry why no offers from an EMU, CMU, WMU, Detroit, or Oakland, etc

Neb Hawk, its a highlight film, we are only going to see the good. I wish there was a link that we could watch a full game. This would tell us more and give us a better guage of what we are getting. I worry why no offers from an EMU, CMU, WMU, Detroit, or Oakland, etc

CR, first why would you worry about a walk-on? Second, yes, it is a highlight video, but the highlights are exactly what I was talking about...I like what I saw on his "highlight" vid...I can see him providing anything from an excellent practice team player to a guy that comes in to relieve Cully or hopefully some other PG.

I would hazard a guess that we are going to be thankful that we have him before all is said and done. I am also hopeful that the player that is a PG and that Cole has taken under his wing walks-on...

I just plain like the fact that FM is bringing on walk-ons!

Neb Hawk, only worried we will go into the season with 1 scholarship PG. Same problem as last year. The timing of this is a little strange, with Salters picking Hawaii today. I hope this wasn't our plan B.

You could be right about us being happy that we have him, if that's the case we struck out on other guards.

I have no problem with bringing in walk-ons, I graduated in 90 the Tom Davis era was full of walk-on that produced for the Hawks. Just remember they had better talent around them and they were only spotted in. Some played by their Junior years, but none as Freshmen if my memory seves me correct.

Did you ever see the highlight film of Stokes son? That wouldn't show you much. This kid is at least as good as Stokes.

Per HI...

According to Stephen, we are not recruiting any more guards in this glass and he will get a shot to win the back-up PG role.

We're... not recruiting anymore guards than the ones that already have offers or did we pull those offers?

And why are people worried about adding walk on's now? Let the kids compete and show they can make it- seems to work with our football team. Just because they don't have offers from whomever else doesn't mean they can't contribute.

Last edited:
I'm happy with this. This season I would rather take a walk on or two as a back up than a "risk" player. I am probably speaking out of line by suggesting Ware was a "risk" player because I don't know that for sure, I just got that feeling when I heard that he still had work to do over the summer to qualify.

I'm happy with this. This season I would rather take a walk on or two as a back up than a "risk" player. I am probably speaking out of line by suggesting Ware was a "risk" player because I don't know that for sure, I just got that feeling when I heard that he still had work to do over the summer to qualify.

I hadn't read that Ware needed course work this summer but did read that Salter needed a couple of classes this summer.

Latest posts