Statistical Little Lick vs. Payne comparison, to date.

JanuaryTailgate

John Lickliter (AKA, Little Lick) has seen enough playing time now that we can reasonably make some comprisons of their stats.

TOTALS GP Min Reb A/TO FG% 3PT% FT% PTS/G PTS/M S/M
Payne, Cully 15 478 39 1.20 .383 .356 .690 8.2 .25 .014
Lickliter, John 4 45 2 3.00 .545 .500 .750 5.0 .44 .04
A/TO=assists to turnover ratio
PTS/M=points per minute
S/M=steals per minute

Take these for what their worth and make your own interpretation.

Last edited:
4 games with an average of 10 min/G from any player isn't enough data, IMO.

That's the interpretation I make.

Come on Payne and Little Lick is no comparison. Little Lick would not start on some JUCO teams w/o Daddy.

My interpretation is that stats don't always mean very much. I'd like to see JL's stats with 478 minutes when he is playing tired; when he is playing against the starters versus the bench; when he is not playing a lot of mop up time.

Is there a stat for touches while in the game? Or minutes or seconds that a player has the ball? Noticed in one game when they played at the same time that JL didn't handle the ball much so that helps with TOs if you don't handle the ball as much.

Not impressed with the stats yet. Maybe in time but not at this point of the season.

Lickliter has been a little lucky IMO so far. Cully Payne is a much better player than Lick and it isn't even close.

They are both not very good although Paynes reverse in the Illinois game was nice...
How is Payne not very good he is the sole point guard on the team, breaks all the presses alone, only one to make things happen off the dribble, and works as hard as possible all the time. He's only a freshman, too.

How is Payne not very good he is the sole point guard on the team, breaks all the presses alone, only one to make things happen off the dribble, and works as hard as possible all the time. He's only a freshman, too.

So he does the minimum required of any point guard on any team...and you must not have seen the MINN game bc there was no press being broken, they had it on the entire game...

IMO he and May are our two best players followed closly by Cole, Gatens, and Fuller. And I didn't mean he broke every press every time either.

What are you talking about?

Payne doesn't really make anything happen off the dribble. Do you even watch games?
Who cares if he is only a freshmen, what's your point.

Everyone said Matt Gatens would automatically become an off the bounce player once he was year older. I am still waiting on Matt to create off the dribble. I don't understand why people thing being a year older makes you automatically better.

Now I agree as Eric May ages he should legitimately get better because he has the PHYSICAL skills and just needs to hone them. Cully does not appear to have the PHYSICAL skills like Eric May.

Lick is a D3 point guard at best and the fact that he is even playing important minutes is embarassing.

I totally agree. Go to the field house on any day and you will find 10 players that are better than little Lick. Lick's stats have been inflated greatly due to garbage time minutes and non-pressure situations. It is much easier to perform when the game is already over. I agree Payne is frustrating to watch and needs a lot of improvement but to put Lick in the same breath as Payne is outrageous.

The fact that he is getting minutes during non garbage time is a sign of failure by Coach Lick to recruit/keep good players. Coach Lick is one of the best coaches in the nation in terms of strategy and x's and o's, but when you have players like little lick getting important minutes shows how far Iowa basketball has declined...

Last edited:
Lick is a D3 point guard at best and the fact that he is even playing important minutes is embarassing.
Thats what I've been saying. It's a joke. He plays because of daddy and no reason other. Payne is way better and basically the only point we have. Poor guy is going to wear out.

Like I said, let the stats speak for themselves. I'll post an update after several more games.

Oh, and by the way, Lick's minutes have all come in the last 4-5 games, and under pressure situations. If anyone got a break it was Payne who played ALL non-conference games.

I totally agree. Go to the field house on any day and you will find 10 players that are better than little Lick. Lick's stats have been inflated greatly due to garbage time minutes and non-pressure situations. It is much easier to perform when the game is already over. I agree Payne is frustrating to watch and needs a lot of improvement but to put Lick in the same breath as Payne is outrageous.

The fact that he is getting minutes during non garbage time is a sign of failure by Coach Lick to recruit/keep good players. Coach Lick is one of the best coaches in the nation in terms of strategy and x's and o's, but when you have players like little lick getting important minutes shows how far Iowa basketball has declined...

420, what's your proof that "Coach Lick is one of the best coaches in the nation in terms of strategy and x's and o's"? He doesn't have good out of bounds plays, doesn't have good pick and roll plays, they don't get open shots very often, ..... I don't see that he is very good at x's and o's either.

Like I said, let the stats speak for themselves. I'll post an update after several more games.

Oh, and by the way, Lick's minutes have all come in the last 4-5 games, and under pressure situations. If anyone got a break it was Payne who played ALL non-conference games.

January, I will welcome updates. But I think you are missing the big point. Neither Lick nor Payne are going to lead this team to wins. A true, quick PG is needed. Neither of the guys on the team are the answer for the HAWKS. So all the stats and updates in the world are going to help these HAWKS.

Lick has looked better than anyone thought he would. And he does play hard. But I want a real PG that other teams would want on their team.

I wouldn't go as far as saying it is embarrassing, but it is a telling (and sad) example of where we are as a basketball program.

so was it embarrassing when jason bauer and darryl moore had to step in and play... what about Jason Smith or whatever his name was.... the point is that walk-ons are capable of giving quality minutes. Mr. Davis must have been an even worse coach than Lick to have that many walk-ons playing... (i know smith was under alford)

Latest posts