Statistical Little Lick vs. Payne comparison, to date.

Tmurph, You are really comparing Lick to Bauer and Moore?? Really?? Those two would destroy Lick on the court. Come on, use your head here.

I never said we shouldn't play walk ons at all. Tom Davis always had decent walk ons. SA and TL have not had that. I'm just saying it is a very sad time if someone of little Lick's talent is getting quality playing time in the Big Ten. I've always thought that we should give TL a fighting chance at Iowa but I just don't see anyone improving their skills under this coaching staff. If anything I see them getting worse.

so was it embarrassing when jason bauer and darryl moore had to step in and play... what about Jason Smith or whatever his name was.... the point is that walk-ons are capable of giving quality minutes. Mr. Davis must have been an even worse coach than Lick to have that many walk-ons playing... (i know smith was under alford)

I think the question you is: If Little Lick's dad wasn't the coach would he be a walk on for another coach at Iowa over the years?

Why not have some walk on tryouts at the beginning of the season? There might be a diamond in the group somewhere.

I think the question you is: If Little Lick's dad wasn't the coach would he be a walk on for another coach at Iowa over the years?

Why not have some walk on tryouts at the beginning of the season? There might be a diamond in the group somewhere.

We have been down this road before on the old site about whether John Lickliter should be on the team or not. It has been made clear in the past that he wants to be a coach, so what better way than to be on the team your father coaches so you can learn from him? And when he has been asked to play, he has played pretty well and has not hurt the team!

He would not be playing had it not been for Tucker getting suspended. He needs to play now because Payne cannot go 40 mins. There is no comparison between the two. Payne has played very well under the circumstances especially considering he is a true freshman. He will be an extremely good pg before he graduates from Iowa.

Nice screen name by the way. How original!!! Maybe I should sign up under a new screen name like therealstorminspank, or therealjonmiller, or therealturniptruck or therealGodGodGodbathia, or therealcockyhawkfan??? I guess it is somewhat of an honor in a way!!!

Last edited:
"I totally agree. Go to the field house on any day and you will find 10 players that are better than little Lick."

Keep smoking...

Cully Payne has played much better than I anticipated he would this year. Again, he will be a very good big 10 pg when all is said and done!

We have been down this road before on the old site about whether John Lickliter should be on the team or not. It has been made clear in the past that he wants to be a coach, so what better way than to be on the team your father coaches so you can learn from him? And when he has been asked to play, he has played pretty well and has not hurt the team!

He would not be playing had it not been for Tucker getting suspended. He needs to play now because Payne cannot go 40 mins. There is no comparison between the two. Payne has played very well under the circumstances especially considering he is a true freshman. He will be an extremely good pg before he graduates from Iowa.

Nice screen name by the way. How original!!! Maybe I should sign up under a new screen name like therealstorminspank, or therealjonmiller, or therealturniptruck or therealGodGodGodbathia, or therealcockyhawkfan??? I guess it is somewhat of an honor in a way!!!

You are not the reason I have this screen name. I have had a forever Hawk screen name on other sites for years. But when I came to this site I couldn't use it as you have the name on this site. So since I consider myself the real forever Hawk since I have been a Hawkeye fan for years and years and already had the screen name on another site I did this screen name.

And wouldn't it be nice if every student who wanted to be a coach got to walk on at IOWA. Yes, we have needed him but that is because his dad, the coach, can't sign a true point guard or loses what he has.

"And wouldn't it be nice if every student who wanted to be a coach got to walk on at IOWA. Yes, we have needed him but that is because his dad, the coach, can't sign a true point guard or loses what he has."

I think you have enough to complain about without having to bring a 19-20 year old kid into your vitriol. Did you ever ponder that maybe John knows the game very well and would be a good person to help run the opposing teams offense and defense during practice? Also, just because Cully isn't the second coming of Andre Woolridge doesn't mean he isn't a true point guard.

so was it embarrassing when jason bauer and darryl moore had to step in and play... what about Jason Smith or whatever his name was.... the point is that walk-ons are capable of giving quality minutes. Mr. Davis must have been an even worse coach than Lick to have that many walk-ons playing... (i know smith was under alford)

+1

+1

"And wouldn't it be nice if every student who wanted to be a coach got to walk on at IOWA. Yes, we have needed him but that is because his dad, the coach, can't sign a true point guard or loses what he has."

I think you have enough to complain about without having to bring a 19-20 year old kid into your vitriol. Did you ever ponder that maybe John knows the game very well and would be a good person to help run the opposing teams offense and defense during practice? Also, just because Cully isn't the second coming of Andre Woolridge doesn't mean he isn't a true point guard.

+1

Everything by therealforeverhawk in this post...

PS. I'd like to add on the Little Lick may not look like the typical D1 PG by any means (I mean, those long shorts on top of those already short legs, come on!), but the point is, he gets the job done, and the point of this post is that the stats are starting to back this up.

Last edited:

PS. I'd like to add on the Little Lick may not look like the typical D1 PG by any means (I mean, those long shorts on top of those already short legs, come on!), but the point is, he gets the job done, and the point of this post is that the stats are starting to back this up.

My point in all this is, why not let others walk on at IOWA. I know we need Little Lick. I know why he is playing. I know that he knows the system. Knowing all these things I also know that he would not be playing, would not even be on the team if his dad wasn't the coach. This isn't saying he is bad, or horrible. He has given some good minutes. My question and wonderings are: Why just him? There are other guys on campus who could help the program. Other guys who want to be coaches and have good bb IQs so why not more walkons. Recruited or non recruited.

Nick Neari is a walk on, so John Lickliter is not the only one on the team!

A friend of Cully's. So my question is still why not walk on tryouts versus sons and player friends. Not trying to fight on this but Lick could use a lot of help and there are probably players on campus that could help.

Twelve on the roster and two of them are walk ons. Not filling scholarship slots in the past has hurt the program. Another mistake by Lickliter and assistants.

Not trying to get into a p.....g match her so off for now. You can have the last word here, I'm not posting again just to answer you. Probably have done that enough and bored the other posters enough already.

but the point is, he gets the job done, and the point of this post is that the stats are starting to back this up.

Except for that winning stat thing....

That we as fans have such reduced expectations, to the point we are now justifying to ourselves John Lickliter is getting the job done, is beyond comprehension. It shows what a dismal state this program is in.

Last edited:
Did you ever ponder that maybe John knows the game very well and would be a good person to help run the opposing teams offense and defense during practice?

Helping run opposing defenses doesn't require him to suit up for games. It is a good experience for him, especially if he wants to be a coach.

However... he's the coach's son, that's why he's on the team. I don't have a problem with it. But let's not kid ourselves into thinking he's the basketball version of Rudy.

i would like to know what "job" is Lickliter getting done???

Latest posts