Jack
Luka

In light of Fran's comments about JBo shutting it down early my starting 5 are:

Evelyn
Fredrick
Wieskamp
Nunge
Garza

Explanation for starting Evelyn and Fredrick - Fran's going to give a transfer who I'm sure he promised a starting spot in light of JBo's absence a run at it. CJF being the best perimeter defender w/ his shooting prowess and experience running the point from high school make him a prime candidate to fill in as a sudo point guard if Evelyn is struggling with pressure. CMac is great to have as a coach off the bench directing traffic for the second team. Fran's also hinted that he will see time at the 3, perhaps to get Wieskamp time at SG. I personally think Connor could be a decent small ball 3 w/ the two best aspects of his game being driving the lane and making free throws. Toussaint, the other candidate at guard, has the least experience and will have to earn his way on the floor before taking the point.

I also see this lineup having potential, but I'm not sure I like Pat over CJF based on Fran's comments and the fact that it shifts Wieskamp out of his best position:

Evelyn
Wieskamp
Patrick
Nunge
Garza

In light of Fran's comments about JBo shutting it down early my starting 5 are:

Evelyn
Fredrick
Wieskamp
Nunge
Garza

Explanation for starting Evelyn and Fredrick - Fran's going to give a transfer who I'm sure he promised a starting spot in light of JBo's absence a run at it. CJF being the best perimeter defender w/ his shooting prowess and experience running the point from high school make him a prime candidate to fill in as a sudo point guard if Evelyn is struggling with pressure. CMac is great to have as a coach off the bench directing traffic for the second team. Fran's also hinted that he will see time at the 3, perhaps to get Wieskamp time at SG. I personally think Connor could be a decent small ball 3 w/ the two best aspects of his game being driving the lane and making free throws. Toussaint, the other candidate at guard, has the least experience and will have to earn his way on the floor before taking the point.

I also see this lineup having potential, but I'm not sure I like Pat over CJF based on Fran's comments and the fact that it shifts Wieskamp out of his best position:

Evelyn
Wieskamp
Patrick
Nunge
Garza

well played!

1) Connor
2) CJ
3) Weiskamp
4) Nunge
5) Garza

JBo replaces Connor if healthy. I also think Connor gets replaced quicker than people think if he can't hit an open 3 this year. His shot isn't bad, just confidence. If he struggles early it probably won't get any better.

I want to put Touissant in at 1, but I'm reserved because he is a freshman. You can already mark him down as a tough kid and competitor. Kid played most of his Junior season with a dislocated shoulder. I have very high expectations for him. If JBo is out and Connor can't hit a shot...…..then I believe Touissant cracks the starting line up.

I like yours except I think Connor starts at least to start the season off. So, I would say CMac and EB for guards....but we could all be missing out the CJF is gonna be there. Obviously if Jordan can play he'll play minutes at both spots. Every where else feels kind of established, though I could see Ryan Kriener somehow in there..... again, at least to start the year.
If Joe T doesn't get an accelerated learning curve or " playing time" I'll be upset. Not that anyone would care.

Why? Have you seen him play?
C’mon man you’re just looking for conflict now. Tons of people on this board have been clamoring for a PG of Toussaint’s style for years of course they are excited. Many have felt Jbo is more a shooting guard than PG.

The counter argument to your “have you seen him play” quip is the stat line I posted from Connor last year. Connor had some good games and good moments for sure but that stat line is not pretty. You can be high on him that’s your deal but it doesn’t mean others need to be as well.

C’mon man you’re just looking for conflict now. Tons of people on this board have been clamoring for a PG of Toussaint’s style for years of course they are excited. Many have felt Jbo is more a shooting guard than PG.

The counter argument to your “have you seen him play” quip is the stat line I posted from Connor last year. Connor had some good games and good moments for sure but that stat line is not pretty. You can be high on him that’s your deal but it doesn’t mean others need to be as well.

I am not trying to be a contrarian .... it's an honest question. I haven't seen him play. I have no idea if he's our best option there until I see that he is. Do you have that info? I don't. It would be great if he was, I just think that kind of expectation is setting you up for disappointment.

Posting Conner's per and stats from when his role on the team was primarily a back up doesn't move my needle dude. It's basically worthless information for me. But feel free to post it (AGAIN) if you feel like ya need to.

It's true, I like Connor. I expect a great season from him. I am from the school of thought that guys who are in the program get better as they mature. I just do. I am sorry that is my stance or that the stance bothers you so much. It's always hard for me to expect a freshman to come in and beat a guy with years in the program. I HOPE IT HAPPENS. But I don't expect it. I certainly won't be "upset" if it doesn't. He's a freshman... I expect our older players to be better. I will probably always have that train of thought at least going into the season.

Often times guys ARE better and they prove it. That's what I want to see. I am sure he'll be given the opportunity.

I am ALMOST positive that the exact same sentiment was said about Trey Dickerson from most fans. So.... you're going to UPSET if a kid that you've NEVER seen play doesn't get fast tracked to playing time? Its's a ridiculous notion and one I won't apologize for pointing out.

Last edited:
1) Connor
2) CJ
3) Weiskamp
4) Nunge
5) Garza

JBo replaces Connor if healthy. I also think Connor gets replaced quicker than people think if he can't hit an open 3 this year. His shot isn't bad, just confidence. If he struggles early it probably won't get any better.

I want to put Touissant in at 1, but I'm reserved because he is a freshman. You can already mark him down as a tough kid and competitor. Kid played most of his Junior season with a dislocated shoulder. I have very high expectations for him. If JBo is out and Connor can't hit a shot...…..then I believe Touissant cracks the starting line up.
There's something about his shot to me. Like the angle with where he has his wrist in accordance to his elbow. It's not a smooth stroke like what Daileys was. His shot looked really smooth to me. He wasn't a great shooter results wise don't get me wrong I'm just strictly talking from a form standpoint. If CMs nailing them at a good clip I don't care if his form is worse then the Ball kid now in NO. But if he's not making or even taking them and his form is kinda wonky he's going to have to work that out.

and also, I am not just talking about Connor. If BE or Jbo are better options at the 1, I am NOT gonna be upset that a freshman wasn't fast tracked to the starting line up just because he's a quick guard and that's something Iowa has been lacking. I want the best player to be on the floor, whoever that is. I don't know who that is until I at least see them take some live action. I am super excited for JT and I hope he's baller, I hope he's starting day 1 ....that would mean great things for Iowa. I just don't expect it.

Last edited:
I am not trying to be a contrarian .... it's an honest question. I haven't seen him play. I have no idea if he's our best option there until I see that he is. Do you have that info? I don't. It would be great if he was, I just think that kind of expectation is setting you up for disappointment.

Posting Conner's per and stats from when his role on the team was primarily a back up doesn't move my needle dude. It's basically worthless information for me. But feel free to post it (AGAIN) if you feel like ya need to.

It's true, I like Connor. I expect a great season from him. I am from the school of thought that guys who are in the program get better as they mature. I just do. I am sorry that is my stance or that the stance bothers you so much. It's always hard for me to expect a freshman to come in and beat a guy with years in the program. I HOPE IT HAPPENS. But I don't expect it. I certainly won't be "upset" if it doesn't. He's a freshman... I expect our older players to be better. I will probably always have that train of thought at least going into the season.

Often times guys ARE better and they prove it. That's what I want to see. I am sure he'll be given the opportunity.

I am ALMOST positive that the exact same sentiment was said about Trey Dickerson from most fans. So.... you're going to UPSET if a kid that you've NEVER seen play doesn't get fast tracked to playing time? Its's a ridiculous notion and one I won't apologize for pointing out.
Oh brother this again. Dude I never said anything regarding Toussaint, I was backing up the guy who you called out saying he’s entitled to his opinion.

Your take is basically you can never have expectations for a freshman until you see them play in a game. That’s a tired and lame take.

I agree Connor could improve and it would be great if he did. One issue with that for him might be time. He’s the only one of these guys who’s playing another sport which significantly cuts into his time to focus on his basketball craft.

Oh brother this again. Dude I never said anything regarding Toussaint, I was backing up the guy who you called out saying he’s entitled to his opinion.

Your take is basically you can never have expectations for a freshman until you see them play in a game. That’s a tired and lame take.

I agree Connor could improve and it would be great if he did. One issue with that for him might be time. He’s the only one of these guys who’s playing another sport which significantly cuts into his time to focus on his basketball craft.

Oh brother this again? I don't know what "this" is...but I'll play. I didn't call anybody out. I asked why he would be upset if a freshman wasn't fast tracked to playing time. I have great expectations for Joe Toussaint but I haven't seen him play a lick of hoops at the D1 level. I don't really know how anyone would be upset at the coach (which he was insinuating) if in his FIRST season he's not ready for the prime time. That seems like really lofty expectations. Or....it's because of the coaches kid, which do you think it is? I know what it is.. we both do.

I tend to expect the biggest jump in skills for a player to be between the freshman and sophomore years. That first year can be a "deer in the headlights" year and then the player gets a full offseason to adjust.

That would be this year for Connor and Wieskamp. Not to mention Nunge has had 2 full offseasons to prepare for his sophomore year. Should be fun to watch those 3 guys progress this year....especially JW...he could be scary good.

Oh brother this again? I don't know what "this" is...but I'll play. I didn't call anybody out. I asked why he would be upset if a freshman wasn't fast tracked to playing time. I have great expectations for Joe Toussaint but I haven't seen him play a lick of hoops at the D1 level. I don't really know how anyone would be upset at the coach (which he was insinuating) if in his FIRST season he's not ready for the prime time. That seems like really lofty expectations. Or....it's because of the coaches kid, which do you think it is? I know what it is.. we both do.
Well the poster did say following his statement “I doubt anyone will care.”

Anyway you are correct you didn’t call anyone out and after reading through your post I realized you weren’t saying I was saying something about Touissaint (the oh brother remark).

I’m just not surprised people are going to be excited for this kid being that they’ve called for a player in his mold for so long. I’m cautious on him to be honest too I think it will take some time.

I still disagree that people can’t have expectations for freshman though and that your logic about players in the system is a little flawed. In college basketball freshman play and contribute all the time. We’ve had a handful of them (Basabe, White, Gessell, Clemmons, Bohannon etc.). We’ve also had a ton of guys who have played in the system who didn’t improve a ton and were passed bye by younger players (Uhl, Wagner, Ellingson, Williams, Oglesby)

I'm curious if anyone will be upset if Patrick McCaffery
Well the poster did say following his statement “I doubt anyone will care.”

Anyway you are correct you didn’t call anyone out and after reading through your post I realized you weren’t saying I was saying something about Touissaint (the oh brother remark).

I’m just not surprised people are going to be excited for this kid being that they’ve called for a player in his mold for so long. I’m cautious on him to be honest too I think it will take some time.

I still disagree that people can’t have expectations for freshman though and that your logic about players in the system is a little flawed. In college basketball freshman play and contribute all the time. We’ve had a handful of them (Basabe, White, Gessell, Clemmons, Bohannon etc.). We’ve also had a ton of guys who have played in the system who didn’t improve a ton and were passed bye by younger players (Uhl, Wagner, Ellingson, Williams, Oglesby)

Yeah, I get it and I know it's happened, I just don't expect it. I wouldn't be upset...especially with the coach, if this kid isn't ready just yet right out of HS to beat out guys who have been in the system for a bit. I mean, how much development can Fran give him in a few months? Not a ton. I can't be upset if he's not fast tracked to playing time this season. It would be great. I would love it... but I am not gonna be upset. All I really pointed out. We haven't even seen him play yet. I am super excited to tho

I am curious if this same posters that are gonna be pissed if JT doesn't play right away are going to be upset if Patrick McCaffery isn't fast tracked to playing time? I mean, he's one of the higher rated kids we've had come to Iowa over the past few decades. Why wouldn't we be expecting him to be fast tracked?

I'm curious if anyone will be upset if Patrick McCaffery

Yeah, I get it and I know it's happened, I just don't expect it. I wouldn't be upset...especially with the coach, if this kid isn't ready just yet right out of HS to beat out guys who have been in the system for a bit. I mean, how much development can Fran give him in a few months? Not a ton. I can't be upset if he's not fast tracked to playing time this season. It would be great. I would love it... but I am not gonna be upset. All I really pointed out. We haven't even seen him play yet. I am super excited to tho

I am curious if this same posters that are gonna be pissed if JT doesn't play right away are going to be upset if Patrick McCaffery isn't fast tracked to playing time? I mean, he's one of the higher rated kids we've had come to Iowa over the past few decades. Why wouldn't we be expecting him to be fast tracked?
On Pat he’s the backup for arguably the best player on the team. He’s also very skinny and he himself is mentioned many times that he’s trying to add weight and while he’s added some isn’t there yet.

On Pat he’s the backup for arguably the best player on the team. He’s also very skinny and he himself is mentioned many times that he’s trying to add weight and while he’s added some isn’t there yet.

At least he's made it up to 190 now. If he keeps pounding protein shakes, he might make 195 or 200 by the end of the season. Realistically, I'm not sure if any players really gain weight over the course of a season, but maybe he could manage if he plays more sparingly and hits the weights hard. I don't think 205-210 is unrealistic for next season though. And that would be a reasonable playing weight for a lanky SF.

At least he's made it up to 190 now. If he keeps pounding protein shakes, he might make 195 or 200 by the end of the season. Realistically, I'm not sure if any players really gain weight over the course of a season, but maybe he could manage if he plays more sparingly and hits the weights hard. I don't think 205-210 is unrealistic for next season though. And that would be a reasonable playing weight for a lanky SF.
Agreed I think he will get there, it just will take a little time.

On Toussaint, he's undersized and behind Jordan Bohannon, Connor McCaffery, and Bakari Evelyn - all upper class men.... I won't be upset if he's not fast tracked to playing time, ya know, unless he earns and beats the guys out in front of him. Which I am hopeful for.

On Toussaint, he's undersized and behind Jordan Bohannon, Connor McCaffery, and Bakari Evelyn - all upper class men.... I won't be upset if he's not fast tracked to playing time, ya know, unless he earns and beats the guys out in front of him. Which I am hopeful for.
I was stating something that came directly from Patrick and Fran on his weight. I also stated thats he’s playing a position occupied by arguably our best player. Preseason 1st Team All B1G.

You are speculating that Joe T is behind those guys. I’m not saying he is or isn’t but you have no way of knowing. It’s entirely possible that Joe is the best guard on the team, again it’s unlikely but you don’t know.

I've seen a taped game where he almost outplays 3 D1 prospects on the opponent's team, and some beautiful feeds to his big men that I haven't seen at Iowa for years. Plus he likes to play in your grill defense. Nuff said.

Latest posts