Starting 5 projection - Final

Oh I am all about speculating. It's fun. I am having fun with this. I love when you do these, cause it makes me think about it. I kind of feel like Kriener might start. I don't know why, I just get that feeling. Probably not all season, but maybe to start the year? I dunno. I feel like years in the system help players mature and Fran gains trust from guys when the bullets are flying. I speculate that it will be Connor at the 1 to start the year and it has nothing to do with his last name. He doesn't have great stats, and I never said "proven" commodity, just known commodity. He's played at this level - the other 2 haven't yet. We've seen him play, the other 2 I haven't. In my speculation, that gives Connor the up and inside track to the job at least to start the season. The other guys would have had to of made some big strides and shown a lot of unseed a guy going into his 3rd season. That's just my opinion. I fricking hope you ARE right - I think if Connor is indeed not your starting PG, it can only mean good things for this team.
I’m typically not accurate on these, but I would also argue that Fran has got his lineups flat out wrong in the past.

JBo’s freshman year it took him until late in the year to put Wagner in the starting lineup for athleticism and defense and let Cook play the 5, where he was a mismatch nightmare. The following year was the we have too many Bigs I’m going to try and play Nunge and Wagner at the 3 season.

I think we will find out more in tomorrow’s presser but more and more it seems like he will play.

With more ball handlers on this team I do think he will spend more time off the ball where he does what he does best, shooting the deep ball.

Certainly will help to have more ball handlers as I certainly think the good teams wanted to apply ball pressure on JBo to both wear him down and force the ball out of his hand.

In the past I've supported JBo at PG but it's more been out of necessity. Hopefully this year we can finally have the luxury to move him off ball and put him on the weakest offensive 1/2.

To start the year if Jordan is full go:

G - Connor
G - Jordan
F - Joe W
F - Jack (wouldn't shock me to see Ryan instead)
C - Luka

To start the year if Jordan is not full go:

G - Connor
G - CJ*
F - Joe W
F - Jack (same as above)
C - Luka

*Unless Bakari is clearly ahead of CJ, I think Fran starts CJ and goes with Bakari as a veteran presence off the bench.

Whether he's deserving or not, I just don't see Fran not starting Connor unless Bakari or Joe T are clearly better. From what I've seen and read about Bakari, he's not really a PG but more of a combo guard. That doesn't mean he couldn't start at PG and move over to SG based on rotations.

Fran has a lot of pieces to work with, it'll be interesting to see what rotations he goes with. Hopefully he doesn't try and play everyone disallowing bench guys to get into a rhythm. We all know he's done that in the past.

To start the year if Jordan is full go:

G - Connor
G - Jordan
F - Joe W
F - Jack (wouldn't shock me to see Ryan instead)
C - Luka

To start the year if Jordan is not full go:

G - Connor
G - CJ*
F - Joe W
F - Jack (same as above)
C - Luka

*Unless Bakari is clearly ahead of CJ, I think Fran starts CJ and goes with Bakari as a veteran presence off the bench.

Whether he's deserving or not, I just don't see Fran not starting Connor unless Bakari or Joe T are clearly better. From what I've seen and read about Bakari, he's not really a PG but more of a combo guard. That doesn't mean he couldn't start at PG and move over to SG based on rotations.

Fran has a lot of pieces to work with, it'll be interesting to see what rotations he goes with. Hopefully he doesn't try and play everyone disallowing bench guys to get into a rhythm. We all know he's done that in the past.
I had a similar thought process on your Bakari or CJ point. If Bakari is really a volume shooter maybe a bench role is better for him. Come in and see if he can provide some instant offense. Plus the veteran off the bench.

I had a similar thought with Nunge Vs Kriener at 4 spot. Kriener likes to get his shots up and I think Nunge has the tools to be a better defender. With Wieskamp and Garza in our starting 5, and hopefully Jbo, we don’t need scoring persay.

I had a similar thought process on your Bakari or CJ point. If Bakari is really a volume shooter maybe a bench role is better for him. Come in and see if he can provide some instant offense. Plus the veteran off the bench.

I had a similar thought with Nunge Vs Kriener at 4 spot. Kriener likes to get his shots up and I think Nunge has the tools to be a better defender. With Wieskamp and Garza in our starting 5, and hopefully Jbo, we don’t need scoring persay.

Originally I was thinking no way Fran would start Ryan because he's Luka's backup. Then I got to thinking, Jack can probably defend the 5 just as well. So there probably isn't a completely wrong answer. All 3 will play and see plenty of minutes. That is of course unless Fran is persistent on Pemsl being in the rotation as well. That'll take away from Ryan's and Jack's time. Probably Ryan's more so than Jack's.

Originally I was thinking no way Fran would start Ryan because he's Luka's backup. Then I got to thinking, Jack can probably defend the 5 just as well. So there probably isn't a completely wrong answer. All 3 will play and see plenty of minutes. That is of course unless Fran is persistent on Pemsl being in the rotation as well. That'll take away from Ryan's and Jack's time. Probably Ryan's more so than Jack's.
In my opinion Kriener is not suited to guard 4 men in this league. He’s too slow of foot. Again that’s just my opinion. I would say the same for Pemsl but he will still likely get minutes there.

The minute situation should work out okay I think. Garza can usually only handle about 25 with how hard he plays.

4- Nunge 28 / Pemsl 12
5 - Garza 25 / Kriener 15

This is going to be a crazy weird statement, but I wouldn’t mind giving the backup 4 minutes to Till over Pemsl. Till has the ability to move his feet better. Iowa doesn’t need scoring they need more defense.

I sure hope Conner doesn't start with the exception of the ISU game. It will be enjoyable watching him get under that idiot Jacobson's skin again.

Opening practice: Connor Mac, starting PG. After many of these session, Fran sees the light. It's probably pretty dim but still replaces his son at PG. Connor knows what he is doing out there and would help the bench mob more than the starters.

I might want to update my starting 5. Notes from Fran’s teleconference today.

-Jbo will play in the upcoming exhibition. Not where he wants to be yet, but getting closer.

-CJF has been the best perimeter defender on the team.

-Fran says Nunge has been good everyday, good at scoring, rebounding, and defending.

-Pemsl our for the exhibition and first game but is back with the team and playing well.

I might want to update my starting 5. Notes from Fran’s teleconference today.

-Jbo will play in the upcoming exhibition. Not where he wants to be yet, but getting closer.

-CJF has been the best perimeter defender on the team.

-Fran says Nunge has been good everyday, good at scoring, rebounding, and defending.

-Pemsl our for the exhibition and first game but is back with the team and playing well.

yup - in light of news today - at least for starting off the year, I am going

Cmac
Jbo
Joe
Jack
Luka

yup - in light of news today - at least for starting off the year, I am going

Cmac
Jbo
Joe
Jack
Luka
It’s weird, the comments on Jbo left me a little more cautious actually. I was kind of suspecting they were going to say he’s 100% ready (maybe that’s pushing it but something along those lines). With that said maybe they are just playing it close to the vest.

It’s weird, the comments on Jbo left me a little more cautious actually. I was kind of suspecting they were going to say he’s 100% ready (maybe that’s pushing it but something along those lines). With that said maybe they are just playing it close to the vest.

After reading the actual comments it does sound less like he's 100% and more like a wait and see approach on how he feels after the exhibition. If there's some pain, good chance he shuts it down completely to avoid NCAA ruling against him for an extra year.

After reading the actual comments it does sound less like he's 100% and more like a wait and see approach on how he feels after the exhibition. If there's some pain, good chance he shuts it down completely to avoid NCAA ruling against him for an extra year.
Playing the exhibition is a no brainer just to see where he is at. I could see him sitting the first game against cream-puff state. But at some point he’s going to have to make a decision. Iowa’s non conference gets challenging real quickly so he’s either going to be all in or probably shut it down if he doesn’t think he can do it. Given his personality I still think he ends up playing this year.

If he's not close, why even risk it for an exhibition game? I thought we'd hear "Jordan is close but won't play in the exhibition". The fact they are gonna let him play in a game that doesn't matter and it's a week before the season starts and close to a month before we play a team with a pulse sans Depaul, I am encouraged.

Latest posts