Starting 5 projection - Final

NikeHawk21

Well the season is quickly approaching and there are going to be many fresh faces on Iowa. Fran meets with the media tomorrow so we might get a clearer picture on this team.

What does everyone see for the starting 5?

Here is what I got:

G - Evelyn
G - Bohannon
SF - Wieskamp
PF - Nunge
C - Garza

Technically we have 4 PGs that are looking for minutes, so it makes sense rotation wise for two of them to start. Jbo will be asked for handle the ball a little less, and I think Evelyn has the size and speed to match up with either guard spot on the opposing team, giving Jbo the easier assignment.

The rest are pretty strait forward. I think some will say Kriener at the 4 but I just think Nunge pairs so much better with Garza. Nunge has more footspeed and a little more range. He can focus on defense (rim protection) and rebounding. Kriener should be a solid bench player.

Here is what I got:

G - Evelyn
G - Bohannon
SF - Wieskamp
PF - Nunge
C - Garza

Technically we have 4 PGs that are looking for minutes, so it makes sense rotation wise for two of them to start. Jbo will be asked for handle the ball a little less, and I think Evelyn has the size and speed to match up with either guard spot on the opposing team, giving Jbo the easier assignment.

The rest are pretty strait forward. I think some will say Kriener at the 4 but I just think Nunge pairs so much better with Garza. Nunge has more footspeed and a little more range. He can focus on defense (rim protection) and rebounding. Kriener should be a solid bench player.

What's the latest news on JBo? If he's back, I think you're correct. I see JBo running the point on offense but giving him the easiest guard match up on D as you stated.

What's the latest news on JBo? If he's back, I think you're correct. I see JBo running the point on offense but giving him the easiest guard match up on D as you stated.
I think we will find out more in tomorrow’s presser but more and more it seems like he will play.

With more ball handlers on this team I do think he will spend more time off the ball where he does what he does best, shooting the deep ball.

I like yours except I think Connor starts at least to start the season off. So, I would say CMac and EB for guards....but we could all be missing out the CJF is gonna be there. Obviously if Jordan can play he'll play minutes at both spots. Every where else feels kind of established, though I could see Ryan Kriener somehow in there..... again, at least to start the year.

I like yours except I think Connor starts at least to start the season off. So, I would say CMac and EB for guards....but we could all be missing out the CJF is gonna be there. Obviously if Jordan can play he'll play minutes at both spots. Every where else feels kind of established, though I could see Ryan Kriener somehow in there..... again, at least to start the year.
Fran definitely tinkers with the lineups throughout the year so it could change.

If what I’m hearing about Evelyn and CJF is true, there is going to be some very unhappy fans if Connor McCaffery starts.

You know my thoughts on Connor. If Joe T and Evelyn can handle the ball and set up others I don’t see what Connor’s role would really be. With that said Fran is going to play him, so I guess I should hope he makes a really big jump this year.

Fran definitely tinkers with the lineups throughout the year so it could change.

If what I’m hearing about Evelyn and CJF is true, there is going to be some very unhappy fans if Connor McCaffery starts.

You know my thoughts on Connor. If Joe T and Evelyn can handle the ball and set up others I don’t see what Connor’s role would really be. With that said Fran is going to play him, so I guess I should hope he makes a really big jump this year.

Besides Jordan, he's our only returning player who has experience at the 1 if Jordan is down. It has nothing to do with his name. He's also the only 1 of those players that has played already at this level. I obviously realize that you don't recognize that because of new and shinier things, but it's true. If I am pressed on coming up with something like this for an exercise, I am always going to lean on known commodities vs unknown. I hope you are right and both of those guys are better and Connor won't be the starter.... but day 1, I think that's wishful thinking.

and I feel like we do this every season Nike.... not that I mind it and I actually love discussing it with you. But don't we always do the "I say the guy who's been in the program for a while is going to play and you say the guy no ones ever seen play is gonna play" routine. I don't think either of us are ever proven "right" or anything, but I feel like it happens a lot this time of year. I think I was that way last season with Joe W....cause I had never seen him play. I wasn't sure he'd be the guy right off the bat and figured Fran would bring him along slowly and default to guys who had more experience. I was clearly wrong. Either way, I still like you on the basketball side. Can't wait for the new season.

I don't think JBo starts the season playing.

Here's what I think the starting lineup will be:
PG McCaffreye
SG Fredrick
SF Weiskamp
PF Kriener
C Garza

Here's what I think it should be:
PG Everly
SG Fredrick
SF Weiskamp
PF Nunge - I am OK with the senior Kriener starting here
C Garza

I can tell I'm still in football mode because I saw CJF and my mind immediately went to CJ Fiedorowicz...

I can't make a starting 5 until I know JBO's status. The only guarantees right now are Wieskamp and Garza

For some reason I am off the wall excited for Nunge.

To start the year without Bohannon:

PG - McCaffery
SG - Evelyn
SF - Wieskamp
PF - Nunge
C - Garza

To start the year with Bohannon:

PG - Evelyn
SG - Bohannon
SF - Wieskamp
PF - Nunge
C - Garza

I'm really looking forward to this lineup to match up against quick guard-oriented teams though:

PG - Toussaint
SG - Evelyn
SF - Wieskamp
PF - Patrick
C - Nunge

Perhaps even throw Bohannon or Fredrick in there for Nunge if the other team is playing 4 guards

PG McCaffreye
SG Fredrick
SF Weiskamp
PF Kriener
C Garza

PG Everly
SG Fredrick
SF Weiskamp
C Garza

I am pretty exactly where you are at. It would shock me to see a guy who's been in the system for 3 years now get passed by a transfer or a true freshman right out of the shoot. With no games played? That's at any position and with any last name in my mind. I do believe and hope that JT will be the better option at the 1 eventually this season for Iowa, but I expect to see Connor at least early on in the starting role as those guys display proof that they are ready to play at this level.

am I the only one who doesn't really see EB as a PG? I guess I must be. I mean, they say he can play there, I just expected it to be more of a secondary role for him. I don't know, I haven't seen him play except for some tape, but he doesn't really strike me as a 1.

I am pretty exactly where you are at. It would shock me to see a guy who's been in the system for 3 years now get passed by a transfer or a true freshman right out of the shoot. With no games played? That's at any position and with any last name in my mind. I do believe and hope that JT will be the better option at the 1 eventually this season for Iowa, but I expect to see Connor at least early on in the starting role as those guys display proof that they are ready to play at this level.

am I the only one who doesn't really see EB as a PG? I guess I must be. I mean, they say he can play there, I just expected it to be more of a secondary role for him. I don't know, I haven't seen him play except for some tape, but he doesn't really strike me as a 1.

I agree Evelyn isn't a prototypical starting PG and wouldn't flourish in that role. But I think they see him sharing that responsibility with other capable ball handlers on the team like Fredrick, McCaffery, Toussaint, and Bohannon. As Toussaint gets accustomed to the college game, I think you start seeing Evelyn working more off the ball and the rotation being thinned to McCaffery and Toussaint at the point. Unless Bohannon is back, then add him into the mix too.

Connor needs to hit 3's. Must be very busy in off season. Coach's Son will play. No doubt!

Besides Jordan, he's our only returning player who has experience at the 1 if Jordan is down. It has nothing to do with his name. He's also the only 1 of those players that has played already at this level. I obviously realize that you don't recognize that because of new and shinier things, but it's true. If I am pressed on coming up with something like this for an exercise, I am always going to lean on known commodities vs unknown. I hope you are right and both of those guys are better and Connor won't be the starter.... but day 1, I think that's wishful thinking.
and I feel like we do this every season Nike.... not that I mind it and I actually love discussing it with you. But don't we always do the "I say the guy who's been in the program for a while is going to play and you say the guy no ones ever seen play is gonna play" routine. I don't think either of us are ever proven "right" or anything, but I feel like it happens a lot this time of year. I think I was that way last season with Joe W....cause I had never seen him play. I wasn't sure he'd be the guy right off the bat and figured Fran would bring him along slowly and default to guys who had more experience. I was clearly wrong. Either way, I still like you on the basketball side. Can't wait for the new season.
Couple things I’d point out:

-Connor in my opinion in not a proven commodity. When your stat line from B1G play is:
3.1 PPG / 2.6 APG / 1.4 TPG / 29.8% FG% / 16.7% 3P% / 64.1% FT% / 7.3 PER

You have a lot to PROVE before I’d call you a commodity.

-On Evelyn I’ve been about as skeptical as anyone around here. I’ve heard some good things recently but that doesn’t mean a whole lot. I questioned his assist to turnover level at a mid major school. If he’s not good enough, I’d much rather start Jbo at the point and CJF at the 2.

Again we haven’t seen CJF either, but what’s the point of this thread if we can’t speculate about new players?

I guess I didn’t preface it well in the OP but the point was for what the starting lineup settles in at for the season, not what we see game 1.

Again I agree on the second point. I was as skeptical as anyone that Evelyn was a PG. Fran has said that about a lot of guys in the past that weren’t really PGs.

Couple things I’d point out:

-Connor in my opinion in not a proven commodity. When your stat line from B1G play is:
3.1 PPG / 2.6 APG / 1.4 TPG / 29.8% FG% / 16.7% 3P% / 64.1% FT% / 7.3 PER

You have a lot to PROVE before I’d call you a commodity.

-On Evelyn I’ve been about as skeptical as anyone around here. I’ve heard some good things recently but that doesn’t mean a whole lot. I questioned his assist to turnover level at a mid major school. If he’s not good enough, I’d much rather start Jbo at the point and CJF at the 2.

Again we haven’t seen CJF either, but what’s the point of this thread if we can’t speculate about new players?

Oh I am all about speculating. It's fun. I am having fun with this. I love when you do these, cause it makes me think about it. I kind of feel like Kriener might start. I don't know why, I just get that feeling. Probably not all season, but maybe to start the year? I dunno. I feel like years in the system help players mature and Fran gains trust from guys when the bullets are flying. I speculate that it will be Connor at the 1 to start the year and it has nothing to do with his last name. He doesn't have great stats, and I never said "proven" commodity, just known commodity. He's played at this level - the other 2 haven't yet. We've seen him play, the other 2 I haven't. In my speculation, that gives Connor the up and inside track to the job at least to start the season. The other guys would have had to of made some big strides and shown a lot of unseed a guy going into his 3rd season. That's just my opinion. I fricking hope you ARE right - I think if Connor is indeed not your starting PG, it can only mean good things for this team.

I guess I didn’t preface it well in the OP but the point was for what the starting lineup settles in at for the season, not what we see game 1.

Again I agree on the second point. I was as skeptical as anyone that Evelyn was a PG. Fran has said that about a lot of guys in the past that weren’t really PGs.

Oh.........

oh. OK

In that case, I am very hopeful that BE or JT along with Bohannon are eventually starters or getting starter minutes at the 1. I would just imagine that Connor is first in line to start and lose that spot if he isn't producing.

PG McCaffreye
SG Fredrick
SF Weiskamp
PF Kriener
C Garza

PG Everly Phil or Don?
SG Fredrick
SF Weiskamp
C Garza

that's why I do BE, cause I f the spelling of his name every other time and he won't be around long enough for me to probably ever get it right ;)

Latest posts