Start Toren Young?

what did you think of Mekhi Sargent, the 5'10 210 RB out of Key West, FL? He looked so tiny out on the field. I didnt even know Key West had a HS, the island is like 3 miles long.

Regarding pass protection: Why not use the pro model and bring IKM in on passing downs. Then let him run free in the 2nd half.

I love all 3 backs and thought Sargeant did a good job when he was in.

I just think, as someone else said, that Young is the prototypical Iowa back. A banger that will wear down the defense. Seemed like that job was given to IKM Saturday.

Middle LB ... "Hey, IKM is in, they're gunna pass!!!!".

IKM has an ankle issue going into this week. That may be a factor. Not sure who is better in pass protection Sargent or Young. The two starting tackles are back this week, which may well change the complexion of the running game.

You pretty much have to list all three as co-starters.
They are all a little different, but more alike than different.
I think any of them can run in the gaps and I think any of them could bust off a long run at any time.
Really the only question becomes durability and what situations you want to play them in to help develop them further and foster the competition through out the year. See who rises by the end of the year, combined with next off season and we could have an all b10 back emerge (if the cards are played right and the backs are ready for that challenge).

I think Ferentz tried to show a bunch of plain vanilla stuff against N. Illinois.

There will be some new wrinkles for the Clowns

I think Ferentz tried to show a bunch of plain vanilla stuff against N. Illinois.

I think he had a couple new tackles so was going to get them acclimated and not take too many chances. Play fundamental football and get out of there with a win, similar to most first games for Iowa seasons.

I hope IKM will be ready to play. Ice bag on the ankle is better news than a walking boot. Liked seeing Geil getting a few snaps. Goes a long way in building depth. Hopefully they wont have to pull his redshirt this year. Saw Sampson Evans is still listed as a wr in the roster. If we use up all of Geils 4 games, would like to see Evans get some snaps if they still plan on making a rb out of him. I guess they are going to evaluate Kyshaun Bryans situation, whatever, that may be, after our bye week. Anyone know about him? Academics? Personal? Discipline issues? Medical? Just wondering.

I hope IKM will be ready to play. Ice bag on the ankle is better news than a walking boot. Liked seeing Geil getting a few snaps. Goes a long way in building depth. Hopefully they wont have to pull his redshirt this year. Saw Sampson Evans is still listed as a wr in the roster. If we use up all of Geils 4 games, would like to see Evans get some snaps if they still plan on making a rb out of him. I guess they are going to evaluate Kyshaun Bryans situation, whatever, that may be, after our bye week. Anyone know about him? Academics? Personal? Discipline issues? Medical? Just wondering.

No clue that's been pretty hush hush. He wasn't there all spring either so it must be a personal/academic sort of issue. He was a pretty highly thought of recruit too. Thankfully we are pretty deep at RB with or without him but yeah getting some final say on if he's on team or not would be nice.

Doesn’t matter who starts. Use them all, see whose style works against the opponent and roll with it. Then hit them with a different style as a change up. As far as Geil, boy I thought he looked very timid, I think he will need some time for sure.

Iowa played more vanilla than vanilla?

Every year for nearly every game an opposing player or coach will say, “They’re Iowa. We know what they’re going to do.”

Vanilla is vanilla is vanilla.

The frustrating part is when opposing players will say, “Yeah, we knew what they were going to run that play.”

Just saw a video clip of an interview with Derrick Foster. At the end, you could see IKM in street clothes and a walking boot.

Doesn’t matter who starts. Use them all, see whose style works against the opponent and roll with it. Then hit them with a different style as a change up. As far as Geil, boy I thought he looked very timid, I think he will need some time for sure.

From watching all the backs in game action, I can see why IKM won the starting job. He has the best combination of power and speed of any back on the roster. His best run of the day was the 45-yarder that went inside the 20-yard line that was called back due to the cut block called on Reynolds away from the play. IKM had that run, plus the 11 and 13-yard runs called back due to penalties that were all well away from the play. Add 69 yards in to IKM's day and he has 19 carries for 130 or thereabouts. Even his short TD run was very impressive, broke a tackle and showed the speed to get to the corner and score.

Young is solid, as is Seargent. But Young just is not as fast as IKM, and I don't blame the coaches for leading with the guy who can give you a big play but is also pretty good between the tackles. If Young has a game where he has no runs longer than 3 yards or can't get to the edge on an outside zone, people will complain about him being used too much. I like Iowa's approach to using all 3 guys they feel comfortable with. Keep going with the guy who's a better fit for that particular opponent, and no one ends up getting worn out and if one guy is nicked up (like IKM with the ankle) it's not the end of the world.

I think that IKM and Sargent would have faired better with the tackles back. There weren’t too many holes in the 1st half to run through. Once that was apparent I felt like it would be more of a TY bruser kind of game. I think all 3 will shine throughout the year.

Keep splitting their reps up. They can all be fresh late in games (and hopefully late in season) that way. Try and be random with how you use them so we don't have any obvious tendencies with them either. To give each of them about 10-14 touches a game seems about right. If IKM isn't 100% there's no reason to put him out there. Let the other two split em up and go. We shouldn't need him against ISU anyway. I think we should be able to run it all over them and play action them for big plays. If Stanley can hit on the deep ball and have them caught that is... Surely they'll hit one or two long ones off of play action be it Fant, Marsette or someone else.

I like the thought of bringing in the all-Toren vehicle midway through the 3rd-4th quarter when the D is worn out to totally crush the spirit of the defense, like what happened last Saturday.

No clue that's been pretty hush hush. He wasn't there all spring either so it must be a personal/academic sort of issue. He was a pretty highly thought of recruit too. Thankfully we are pretty deep at RB with or without him but yeah getting some final say on if he's on team or not would be nice.

Bryan had some carries in Spring Game

He was the only one today with positive yardage.
Yes, he should be the starter for the simple reason he is built for Big10 play and is our best blocker
We all are hoping Goodson brings something to the table next year.