Start Toren Young?

Seems like we would benefit more with Young banging on those D linemen in the 1st half, then letting IKM hit home runs.

Or am I over thinking it?
This is a good idea. I didn’t get to see the second half, but were any of the backs used in the passing game? TEs and and a RB in coverage over the middle could be money. Better yet, Fant disguised as the intended receiver while actually blocking a corner for IKM out of the backfield could be a big play.

He certainly looked the best on Saturday but I think it could be a week to week thing. I think all 3 will have their bright spots and I hope by using the 3, there’s a chance we can remain healthy.

I would start Young but I expect all three of these backs will have games where they each look like the best.

TY had fresh legs and I think that helped, the OLine also had some time to get into a rhythm and get lathered up.

I've always assumed that he would be the 1a. But IKM seems to be a more complete back.

KF hoped to get him in sooner ..but the pitch count was so low because the O struggled...so it was a bit later i the game before he got in.

Really weird as Toren was proclaimed a team leader and no.1, but things changed overnight. Was this a strategic ploy by KF against NIU? Had Toren messed up and KF was trying to motivate him? IKM was disappointing, but Sargent showed some potential. IKM may be a bit faster, but Toren’s strength will keep him from getting tripped up so easily. This could be a “which RB to plan for” strategy by KF in preparation for Wisconsin.

I'm not sure it matters who starts. Having very little luck running early and then breaking it open in the second half is the way we've done it recently. BTN showed a stat of score differential by quarter during the game and it was pretty stark. Wish I could find an image of it.

I don't have any complaints about any of the backs or how/when they were used.
I could definitely see the rotation changing week to week. I could see the number of carries varying also.
Definitely a good problem to have.
I also think we have some good old fashioned friendly competition in that room. Which is a very good thing.

Having three solid RBs is a good problem, especially since they all have different strengths. Which one starts does not matter as much as long as we keep all three of them healthy and productive. I also think Henry Geil may emerge later in the year to have a four-headed RB, unless they decided to keep the red shirt on him and only plan to use him in three more games, if the first three stay healthy.

I like bringing in the bigger more powerful back with fresh legs after their defense is worn down a little. He has a much better chance of breaking the weaker tackle attempts of tired defenders.

I kinda liked using him how they did... Not sure that was the plan or not but bringing him in the 3rd quarter after NIU was softened up with Youngs fresh legs just pounded them. Intentional or not it worked really well. Hopefully we'll have fewer penalties this week. IKM had at least one or two runs called back. To me that's the bigger issue. Clean that stuff up. Which RB is playing when is nitpicking almost I like all 3 of them.

Just asking, not suggesting/trying to start something, but was there some silent discipline that kept Young off the field in the first half?

IKM had some big runs called back from holds that didn't have that big of an effect on the play. Sure TY had better stats at the end but lets not at like IKM didn't show some aptitude as well

One thing that surprises me is Young is the exact kind of back that has always started over a guy who maybe seemed more talented. Meaning Kirk always favored the bigger power back. Then you factor in Young being on the leadership council (or whatever it is) and it's just really surprising he's not the starter. It seems to me they are making a conscious decision to get playmakers on the field.

Smith playing so much at receiver over any random walk on helps that theory too. He reminds me of Willies in the sense that he has lots of hype and talent. I wonder if Willies would have played more now under Brian. Anyone else noticing this trend?

Jones over Hockaday might be another example of the decision to play the talented player over the hard working, always know your spot, slow guy. Judging by last Saturday's game, Kirk might not be as dumb at personnel decisions as a lot of us thought. The talented players didn't look near as good as the slow guys.

He certainly looked the best on Saturday but I think it could be a week to week thing. I think all 3 will have their bright spots and I hope by using the 3, there’s a chance we can remain healthy.

This. They will go with the hot hand which can change week to week. Actually, Young and Sargent were said to be the weaker of the 3 with pass protection, so, once IKM is healthy, I anticipate he still starting secondary to this. But, once Young shows he can pass protect consistently that could change. Nice to have 3 solid ball carriers, though.

Just asking, not suggesting/trying to start something, but was there some silent discipline that kept Young off the field in the first half?

No. I'm pretty sure the coaches decision was all about pass protection and who has done it the best up to this point. This was mentioned prior to the season starting.

One thing that surprises me is Young is the exact kind of back that has always started over a guy who maybe seemed more talented. Meaning Kirk always favored the bigger power back. Then you factor in Young being on the leadership council (or whatever it is) and it's just really surprising he's not the starter. It seems to me they are making a conscious decision to get playmakers on the field.

Smith playing so much at receiver over any random walk on helps that theory too. He reminds me of Willies in the sense that he has lots of hype and talent. I wonder if Willies would have played more now under Brian. Anyone else noticing this trend?

Jones over Hockaday might be another example of the decision to play the talented player over the hard working, always know your spot, slow guy. Judging by last Saturday's game, Kirk might not be as dumb at personnel decisions as a lot of us thought. The talented players didn't look near as good as the slow guys.

I think Hockaday has passed Jones at least at this point. I think over the course of the season, those two could split snaps pretty evenly, depending on game situation. It was reported that Jones needs to play a little more disciplined and assignment football instead of just flying to the ball every play. This will be learned by him and time will serve him well. This is why he was pulled from the game. When he went back in he did a much better job is what I have read.

This plays into the argument of playing talented players over veteran or disciplined players. We all know Kirk and the disciplined player is going to have the advantage until the talented player plays assignment football better.

Regarding pass protection: Why not use the pro model and bring IKM in on passing downs. Then let him run free in the 2nd half.

I love all 3 backs and thought Sargeant did a good job when he was in.

I just think, as someone else said, that Young is the prototypical Iowa back. A banger that will wear down the defense. Seemed like that job was given to IKM Saturday.